Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 2:57 p.m. EST, March 2, 2008
HERM CAUGHT PATS SPYING IN 2004

The whole free-agency thing has made us nearly forget about that thing called Spygate.

Key word: "Nearly."

Matt Walsh still hasn't spoken and, more importantly, his lawyer still hasn't commented on whether reports that Walsh isn't bound by a confidentiality agreement are accurate.

Meanwhile, there's another previously unknown tidbit about Spygate I, courtesy of Gary Myers of the New York Daily News.

Apparently, then-Jets coach Herm Edwards and defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson spotted a Patriots camera operator during a 2004 game between the two teams, and Edwards and Henderson waved "hello" to it.

But why didn't Edwards make a proverbial federal case out of the situation? Perhaps it's because Edwards realized that teams routinely try to steal each others defensive coaching signals, and that part of the challenge of coaching a team is to come up with ways to protect the secrets.

And that's why the real problem with Spygate I was that the Jets' zeal to "nail" the Pats came at the expense of the league's broader interests. The staggering penalty imposed on the Patriots created the perception that this was a rare and unusual occurrence, which called for a rare and unusual consequence. As we've all learned from folks like Jimmy Johnson, it wasn't.

Hey, it was still stupid and/or arrogant for the Patriots to keep videotaping defensive coaching signals when it was known that teams were trying to catch them. But the ensuing brouhaha has somehow created far more damage than steroids or HGH or any other scandal that the league has seen in years, if not ever.

about time, and thank you....

this needs to be published, like everywhere

Well, we knew it happened back then. And we knew a coach had waved at the camera before.

So . . . 2+2=4 is just as informative and news breaking.

So why bring something up? Wasn't this the douche bag who used to be so anti Patriots when it came to spy gate? Talk about a friggin hypocrite, thanks for reporting something mentioned wayyy back.

If teams don't try to disguise their signals they are fools. I call it due dilligence on Belichick's behalf. If he's willing to put that much time in to maybe catch a play or two per game. More power to him. We should just mount the bleepin camera 35 rows up on the 50yrd line next year just to piss everyone off. In plain sight.

ProFootballTalk.com is starting to make me laugh with this one. Back when this spygate crap first came out in September Herm Edwards said he had waived at the Patriots camera man, and he didn't think it was a big deal. This wasn't anything we just learned, and I'm pretty sure Florio already knew about it. He's just using that misguided report to bring it back up again. It's funny that he is now taking a somewhat pro Patriot stance, since he was among those heavily trashing them back when spygate first became a story, and he was among those who pushed for severe fines, and suspension.

Also, I sent him scoops and emails relating to coaches who had talked about doing the very same thing, players and coaches who had witnessing the very same thing, or knew it went on, and didn't think it was a big deal. I'm sure many other people sent him similar emails, and at the time he ignored them so he could help keep the witch hunt going at full strength.

I call it due dilligence on Belichick's behalf. If he's willing to put that much time in to maybe catch a play or two per game. More power to him.

Any more rules we should break next year?

If teams don't try to disguise their signals they are fools. I call it due dilligence on Belichick's behalf. If he's willing to put that much time in to maybe catch a play or two per game. More power to him. We should just mount the bleepin camera 35 rows up on the 50yrd line next year just to piss everyone off. In plain sight.

OMG, thats brilliant....

seriously....for those of you living in mass and who go to the every home game....DO IT

set up a real live camera at one point, and make a sign saying....

"We are taping the (blank--fill in opposing team name here)'s defensive signals, and sendign the tape to Belicheck...Any complaints?"

man would I LOVE to see that

Herm Edwards is the Devil!!!!!!

So it makes sense he would not turn BB in for "misinterpreting the rules"

:)

"And that's why the real problem with Spygate I was that the Jets' zeal to "nail" the Pats came at the expense of the league's broader interests. The staggering penalty imposed on the Patriots created the perception that this was a rare and unusual occurrence, which called for a rare and unusual consequence. As we've all learned from folks like Jimmy Johnson, it wasn't.

"Hey, it was still stupid and/or arrogant for the Patriots to keep videotaping defensive coaching signals when it was known that teams were trying to catch them. But the ensuing brouhaha has somehow created far more damage than steroids or HGH or any other scandal that the league has seen in years, if not ever."

Gee, Mike Florio, I can't imagine what may have spurred on the NFL to go WAY overboard on these charges! A media firestorm led by YOUR website? Naaah, couldn't be.

This isn't even a comment on what PFT did the first time through - they certainly weren't the only ones who got breathless over this ******ed "scoop." But to NOW act like, "Boy, wasn't the NFL overzealous in its penalty against the Pats?!" - infuriating. What a total douchebag that guy has become.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't we catch the Jets spying in '06, the difference is that Pats are not media whores, thus not media darlings..

I seldom read something from a commentator that pretty well expresses exactly what I think, but the PFT quote you cite (excerpt below) does just that. My only change would be to replace "when it was known that teams were trying to catch them" to "when the league stated clearly in a memorandum that it was indeed against the rules"

"And that's why the real problem with Spygate I was that the Jets' zeal to "nail" the Pats came at the expense of the league's broader interests. The staggering penalty imposed on the Patriots created the perception that this was a rare and unusual occurrence, which called for a rare and unusual consequence. As we've all learned from folks like Jimmy Johnson, it wasn't.

"Hey, it was still stupid and/or arrogant for the Patriots to keep videotaping defensive coaching signals when it was known that teams were trying to catch them. But the ensuing brouhaha has somehow created far more damage than steroids or HGH or any other scandal that the league has seen in years, if not ever."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes