PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Here's where I'm standing with the secondary right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Right now I'm still okay with McCourty as our #1. He still looks to have a little 2011'ish in him since he still struggles at times making plays and looking for the ball. But overall I'm still seeing him improve, not too concerned with him at the moment.

Now Kyle Arrington. Here's the problem with him, he is what he is. He'll get beat by the great WR's, he just doesn't match up with him. HOWEVER, he still can be a playmaker, and is a solid tackler as well. The reason why he's struggled is he's not a #2 corner and never will be, but I think he'd do very well if he was just put at nickel. Similar situation with Sterling Moore, he can't be facing Demarius Thomas, he just can't. But he can make plays, playing in the dime would be a good spot for him.

Here's where the real problem's are.

We've got to get someone to play the #2 corner spot, and play it well. The two candidates are Ras-I Dowling, who has been mysteriously quiet this year most likely due to injury problems. You also have the wildcard, Alfonzo Dennard. I really don't want to jump the gun on Dennard, but he looked good yesterday vs. Denver, he even turned around!! :p In all seriousness, though, he could step up into playing that #2 corner spot, but he's still a rookie and it was just one game.

Overall, if we can get one of those two into playing the #2 corner spot and while they're at it play well in the position, we'll see drastic improvement in the secondary.

One other issue is the safeties. Yes Gregory has struggled at FS but I think that position will be solved if we start to ease Tavon Wilson into the starting spot and have Steve Gregory become a rotational backup, where he's decent at. As for Chung, many on this forum have said "Oh he was never any better than average anyway." I feel he did have one year in 2010 where he was above average and played overall pretty solid, physical football. My theory on his below average play is maybe after getting dinged up a few times the last couple years he's trying to protect himself from injury and maybe lost his physicality that he's shown in the past. I just feel he's one of the guys who overall just needs to play better football. No he's not great, but he's better than this.

Well those are my thoughts on the secondary. Your thoughts??

I'm just stunned with the poor technique I see on a weekly basis by our secondary. Look for the ******* ball, it's the only way you'll have a chance.

I'm just stunned with the poor technique I see on a weekly basis by our secondary. Look for the ******* ball, it's the only way you'll have a chance.

Oh yeah, and Bill also needs to have a little talk with whoever's teaching these DB's this technique. Is it still Boyer??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes