Welcome to PatsFans.com

Here's how they do it in the Bible Belt

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, May 18, 2006.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nat-gen/2006/may/18/051800036.html

Kentucky Governor's Pardon Deemed Valid

FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) - The Kentucky Supreme Court on Thursday invalidated a string of indictments charging members of Gov. Ernie Fletcher's administration with rewarding political supporters with state jobs, leaving only the misdemeanor counts against the governor himself.

Fletcher had pardoned his entire administration - other than himself - for any charges that could result from a probe into allegations of hiring misconduct.

The state's high court said Thursday that Fletcher had the authority to issue the blanket pardon, something prosecutors had questioned.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2005
  2. The Gr8est

The Gr8est Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Seems like you are insinuating that there is something intrinsically corrupt about the "Bible belt". I hope you were just as outraged about Bill Clinton pardoning Mark Rich, among others.
  3. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

There's actual a kind of liberal, universal theme to this thread, Gr8est. There's nothing intrinsically corrupt about the Bible Belt, but I thought it was useful to point out to the holier-than-though crowd that people are the same everywhere.
  4. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

The key word is intrinsically. I have faith that those people have it within their power to become good progressive Democrats, and cleanse their corrupt minds. :)
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

That word "Pardon" will always bring Billy Blue Dress to mind, "what say you"?
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

Actually, when I hear the word "pardon," I usually think of a polite person asking me to excuse them. I feel bad for you that the word makes you think of a semen stained dress. What do you think of when you hear the word "bush"?
  7. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

cheap beer.
  8. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Patters this equal to a Mikey Republikkklan post. Pretty much an generalization of an entire section of states based on 1 man's actions. Should we get into all the corruption in every major city that votes Democrat? We could start with New Orleans or how about New York?
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

mgcolby, I'm not making generalizations anymore than did people who posted the threads about Patrick Kennedy.
  10. Chevy

Chevy Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Actually, this is a classic Patters post. He supplies a link and a clipping, then sits back to watch the reaction. Once he sees which way people are taking it, he comes back with "Well, I just posted this to show you how ....". This way, he comes across as an even-keeled poster. It's also a way for him to sell himself as an intellectual attempting to educate the masses.

Funny, really. At least Mikey makes no bones about his posts - they're there to inflame and that's all. No pretension - I can repsect that.
  11. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

It is one thing to make a generalization about a family that has a very long history of corruption and eliteness, it is another to generalize about an entire region.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2005
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

Yes, I respect Mikey, too.
  13. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

If you read it as a generalization, I'm sorry, but nothing I wrote suggests I'm making a generalization. All I'm saying is bad things happen in the Bible Belt as well as everywhere else. Conservatives have no moral advantage over liberals.
  14. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I agree to a point. Corruption exists everywhere and through all walks of life but to argue morals is like arguing ethics.
  15. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

You might want to hold your tounge. We'll see who your LORD and SAVIOR pardons when he leaves office in Jan. 2009 (which can't come soon enough for the good of our formerly great nation).

I wouldn't be crowing about pardons, home boy. Ken Lay and Jeffery Skilling will probably be two W pardons, among many more. Of course you probably wouldn't have a problem with that being a Bushbot and all.
  16. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Generally I could care less about other people's love spats on here, but to call this country a "former great nation" is a pretty sh!tty opinion to have. I suggest you take a look around and figure out what country you would rather live in. I would guess, none. But I would like to know your answer when you decide.
    Last edited: May 18, 2006
  17. The Gr8est

The Gr8est Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

People such as those in the Bible belt who strive to maintain a higher level of integrity and morality will always be a target when they come up short. When someone makes no such attempt at striving to maintain higher principles, they are immune to these criticisms when they do what they do.
  18. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Should the majority of Americans that think the country is going in the wrong direction find some other place to live as well? Ahhh the love it or leave it red meat mantra of those who equate criticism with treason.
  19. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Feeling the country is going in the wrong direction or not agreeing with certain policies is fine. Calling your country a former great nation is numb.
  20. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I know plenty of people on both sides of the aisle who think the country has been going to hell in a hand basket for DECADES. Not exactly a leap to say the country isn't as great as it was 50 or 60 years ago. Perhaps formerly great was a bit of an over step and I apologize for offending your delicate sensibilities. But do you honestly believe this country is as good as it once was, or as good as it is capable of being?

Some things are better but on the whole, we are a nation in decline. Is it reversable? Probably. Will it be reversed? No. Too much greed and corruption in every level of govt. from your local dog catcher to the Hill.