PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Here's a Hint: BB doesn't play Chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookBoston

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
If Lawyer Milloy wasn't proof enough, there's Ted Washington, Ty Law, Adam Vinatieri, Willie McGinest, Bobby Hamilton, David Givens...

The only guy BB's ever signed on someone else's terms is Richard Seymour... and maybe (only maybe) Tom Brady.

Everyone else has either taken it or walked.

That's because he knows he has something special in Seymour and Brady, the other ones were just football players.

Willie55 said:
That's because he knows he has something special in Seymour and Brady, the other ones were just football players.
And I would say that Seymour and his agent handled it all very differently than Branch and more specifically Chayut.

BB, Chicken, Branch

Willie55 said:
Old Number 55, you hit it on the head right there.
BUT, can an NFL team kiss off its No 1 and 2 receivers just to stick with a hardnose mindset?
milloy, washington, all those guys are solid, veteran nfl players. but it appears solid vets aren't growing on trees anymore. witness monty beisel.
i fear patriots are heading toward 9-7 level becaause they don't have solid vets to play with their stars anymore.
as i recall gene wilson, asante samuel, graham, TBC, and several others will become free agents on, what, July 2007? i believe their rookie contracts expire at the end of this season.. IMHO they are solid, veteran nfl players. i'd want to get their contracts extended before they enter their walk year. looks like that's not gonna happen.
we gonna see the same pugnosed attitude with them too?

Re: BB, Chicken, Branch

ilduce06410 said:
pugnosed attitude?? Are you saying the Patriot's offer wasm't a fair one?? The only pugnised attitude I've seen was from a WR that used to wear 83

ilduce06410 said:
BUT, can an NFL team kiss off its No 1 and 2 receivers just to stick with a hardnose mindset?
milloy, washington, all those guys are solid, veteran nfl players. but it appears solid vets aren't growing on trees anymore. witness monty beisel.
i fear patriots are heading toward 9-7 level becaause they don't have solid vets to play with their stars anymore.
as i recall gene wilson, asante samuel, graham, TBC, and several others will become free agents on, what, July 2007? i believe their rookie contracts expire at the end of this season.. IMHO they are solid, veteran nfl players. i'd want to get their contracts extended before they enter their walk year. looks like that's not gonna happen.

If they come in and be reasonable, unlike old #83, I dont see why a deal wont be done. If they make ridiculous demands, have fun playing elsewhere.

Willie55 said:
If they come in and be reasonable, unlike old #83, I dont see why a deal wont be done. If they make ridiculous demands, have fun playing elsewhere.

Right on the money Willie.

Willie55 said:
SO true...if they wish to gp for the green..fine...not the Patriot's money..someone elses...

ilduce06410 said:

You just reminded me.
Back when David Givens was the guy we wanted to hang onto ...
a leading consideration for many of us was
how his contract would set the bar for Branch soon thereafter ...
and we couldn't afford to make Branch envious.

Hah! Soon we won't have either.

Feb 2007, and its Koppen and not Wilson who are among the big four for next year, five including Branch. Plus, of course we need to replace Troy, the veteran linebackers (Brown, Beisel and Seau) and the ST leaders (izzo and Davis).

ilduce06410 said:

Agreed. bb doesn't negotiate much. I guess Branch is choosing to walk, and as usual (right for a patriot board), we agree with the front office.

rookBoston said:
If Lawyer Milloy wasn't proof enough, there's Ted Washington, Ty Law, Adam Vinatieri, Willie McGinest, Bobby Hamilton, David Givens...

The only guy BB's ever signed on someone else's terms is Richard Seymour... and maybe (only maybe) Tom Brady.

It's a little early for 2007 "woe is me" talk.

We have good young offensive and defensive lines, the best QB, good RB's
and everyone wants to moan and groan about WR and LB. We won SB's with Brown and Patten and Phifer and Johnson. I believe the WR's will be ok with or without Branch and if Junior can play first and second down in the middle and Tully fills in we have 5 really good LB's and the best of the lot, Vrabel can play wherever he's needed most.

The glass is clearly half full for me.

I think we win 12 or more games this year and are legitiimate top 4 contender to win the SB

p8ryts said:
It's a little early for 2007 "woe is me" talk.

We have good young offensive and defensive lines, the best QB, good RB's
and everyone wants to moan and groan about WR and LB. We won SB's with Brown and Patten and Phifer and Johnson. I believe the WR's will be ok with or without Branch and if Junior can play first and second down in the middle and Tully fills in we have 5 really good LB's and the best of the lot, Vrabel can play wherever he's needed most.
The glass is clearly half full for me.

I think we win 12 or more games this year and are legitiimate top 4 contender to win the SB

Everyone seems to forget that Bruschi can ALSO play wherever he is needed most, as well. The two best LB can play anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
rookBoston said:

And this is exactly the root of the problem. Players are so worried about their job security they are trying to get contracts that make it very hard for the pats to cut them....

It's a self replicating cycle. Pats will cut anyone, so players want guatranteed contracts, pats won't budge, players go elsewhere.

Welker83 said:
It's a self replicating cycle. Pats will cut anyone, so players want guatranteed contracts, pats won't budge, players go elsewhere.

You mean players like Light, Neal, Vrabel, Bruschi, Faulk? 'Cause all those guys have re-signed over the last 14 months. (And I'm not even counting Brady and Seymour.) Try research.

patsox23 said:
You mean players like Light, Neal, Vrabel, Bruschi, Faulk? 'Cause all those guys have re-signed over the last 14 months. (And I'm not even counting Brady and Seymour.) Try research.
Research is a good thing...leads to truthful statements..and real understanding..

ilduce06410 said:

Why witness Monty Beisel? Beisel was a 4 year vet being asked to move to an entirely new position in a very complicated defense. A position that it took Tedy Bruschi 2 years to master after having been in Belichick defenses for at least another 2 years.

ilduce06410 said:

I think you are tremendously over-reacting with this sort of statement.

ilduce06410 said:

Wilson is under contract through the 2007/2008 season. Also, there is only so much money to go around. Also, why should the team sign players to extensions when they haven't proven themselves, as it the case with TBC? And how do you know it won't happen? Just because it hasn't yet? You don't seem to be giving BB and Pioli credit. Nor are you taking into consideration that the players may not want an extension. Maybe they want to go sign somewhere else?

ilduce06410 said:

Why not? If they are making outrageously stupid demands and over-valuing themselves as is the case with Branch? You seem to think that the situation with Branch is all the fault of the Pats and that none of it falls onto Branch.

patsox23 said:

Research?
Light Took a second tier contract when he could have asked for more.

Neal's contract is below market

Vrabel is woefully underpaid

Bruschi is way underpaid

Faulk got a good contract for his contribution.

Have another season where you get knocked out of the playoffs and some of these guys will be asking for more money.

And Mr. Tom "good of the team" Brady counts 15 million against your cap...WTH?

Welker83 said:
Research?
Light Took a second tier contract when he could have asked for more.

Neal's contract is below market

Vrabel is woefully underpaid

Bruschi is way underpaid

Have another season where you get knocked out of the playoffs and some of these guys will be asking for more money.

And Mr. Tom "good of the team" Brady counts 15 million against your cap...WTH?

Torquoise with jealousy that the Dolphins don't these problems?

Welker83 said:
Research?
Light Took a second tier contract when he could have asked for more.<<<<And got paid sooner because of it.

Neal's contract is below market << The Market didn't seem to think so.

Vrabel is woefully underpaid << Again, he extended his contract and got more now.

Bruschi is way underpaid. << He got a bonus from not having an agent during the negotiations.

And Mr. Tom "good of the team" Brady counts 15 million against your cap...WTH? <<Well, with another 14 under the cap, it is not like we can't pay him now for play later.

You can say guys on our squad are under paid, but these are contracts they negiotiated to give the team some flexiblity. But in the end they are contracts that are based on the teams evaluation of value. And so the player sees most of the money.

Look at Law, he left to get more money, yet he has made less in the past 3 years then he would have had he taken the Patriots deal. It may seem like they get bigger contracts elsewhere, but they do not see all of the money because too much of it is fake money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes