PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Here to pay respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

GratefulOne

On the Roster
Reaction score
After finally realizing how difficult and special it is for a football team to win a Super Bowl, the first thing that comes to mind now that the initial euphoria is over is how truly amazing the BB/Brady era Pats are.

Now the Pats have always been that team I pulled for as long as they weren't playing the Seahawks. I was one of those guys that enjoyed seeing them make it in 85 and cringed when they drafted Bledsoe first, which left our idiot ownership at the time to draft Rick Mirer. LOL.

But to see the way they developed from a very blue collar team, to a complete dominant machine under the leadership of Tom Brady was nothing short of impressive. I enjoyed seeing them on the rise and on one Monday night I watched Tom Brady complete an entire drive with an empty backfield against the Steelers with ease. I knew how good he was, but that night I knew he was simply the best I have ever seen.

For the Pats to get 3 championships in today's NFL while year after year knocking on the door is nothing short of a dynasty level accomplishment. Time and Time again, injuries stacking up they just get the job done with a roster peppered with a variety of players that seem to change a lot every year.
They are clearly the team of the last decade. Their ability to sustain is unmatched and now that I fully understand what really goes into winning a Super Bowl, how long it takes and coping with the salary cap I just wanted to share that opinion with the Pats faithful.

There are a lot of NFL fans that want to see the Pats fail because of that success and I am definitely not one of them. The old Niners, Cowboys and Steelers teams just didn't have to contend with the same FA rules and salary restrictions that NE has had to. They boast of 20+ year old stretches like it happened yesterday, yet year after year the Pats are in position to win another title.

You guys have it good, there is no arguing that. Rather than be the jealous Niner or Cowboys fan threatened by the potential takeover of recent Super Bowl Titles, I watch in admiration. I know that if the injuries and other outside things didn't take place in 2013 that the Pats would have been the AFCC champs and no way would they have been the victim that Denver was in the Super Bowl.

When Talib went down, that hurt the Pats chances in a big way, but just the fact that they were in the AFCC AGAIN with all the adversity says a lot about your coach and QB.

I have been reading this board here and there and you guys as a group are some of the most realistic I have ever read on another team's forum. I plan on hanging out once in a while and wish you luck in 2014. I know you will be right back in it again.

One more thing to add. In the NFCW, we have the Niners, but worse is that we have their fans.

They are the most entitled group of babies I have ever been involved with and that hasn't changed for years.

They constantly bring up the Brady vs Montana topic and obviously believe that Montana was God. I have seen them both from the start of their careers to the end and Brady's present play.

Montana never had to play with a group of backups because his entire arsenal of weapons were injured or left to FA. To add, we are talking about being surrounded by the best group in the business. From the Offensive line to the 5 different all-pro skill players he had at his disposal. Brady has done it with young, old, fair, exceptional, newly acquired talent. To me it isn't even a discussion. Even when Montana left he joined a team with a power running game and defense.

I would take Brady 7 days a week.

After finally realizing how difficult and special it is for a football team to win a Super Bowl, the first thing that comes to mind now that the initial euphoria is over is how truly amazing the BB/Brady era Pats are.

Now the Pats have always been that team I pulled for as long as they weren't playing the Seahawks. I was one of those guys that enjoyed seeing them make it in 85 and cringed when they drafted Bledsoe first, which left our idiot ownership at the time to draft Rick Mirer. LOL.

But to see the way they developed from a very blue collar team, to a complete dominant machine under the leadership of Tom Brady was nothing short of impressive. I enjoyed seeing them on the rise and on one Monday night I watched Tom Brady complete an entire drive with an empty backfield against the Steelers with ease. I knew how good he was, but that night I knew he was simply the best I have ever seen.

For the Pats to get 3 championships in today's NFL while year after year knocking on the door is nothing short of a dynasty level accomplishment. Time and Time again, injuries stacking up they just get the job done with a roster peppered with a variety of players that seem to change a lot every year.
They are clearly the team of the last decade. Their ability to sustain is unmatched and now that I fully understand what really goes into winning a Super Bowl, how long it takes and coping with the salary cap I just wanted to share that opinion with the Pats faithful.

There are a lot of NFL fans that want to see the Pats fail because of that success and I am definitely not one of them. The old Niners, Cowboys and Steelers teams just didn't have to contend with the same FA rules and salary restrictions that NE has had to. They boast of 20+ year old stretches like it happened yesterday, yet year after year the Pats are in position to win another title.

You guys have it good, there is no arguing that. Rather than be the jealous Niner or Cowboys fan threatened by the potential takeover of recent Super Bowl Titles, I watch in admiration. I know that if the injuries and other outside things didn't take place in 2013 that the Pats would have been the AFCC champs and no way would they have been the victim that Denver was in the Super Bowl.

When Talib went down, that hurt the Pats chances in a big way, but just the fact that they were in the AFCC AGAIN with all the adversity says a lot about your coach and QB.

I have been reading this board here and there and you guys as a group are some of the most realistic I have ever read on another team's forum. I plan on hanging out once in a while and wish you luck in 2014. I know you will be right back in it again.
welcome aboard:D

Well the OP will certainly get a warm reception around here.

We have Jets fans to deal with here and hostility from the fans of most teams around the league, for some of the old timers it just means that the Pats matter, which wasn't the case for most of the first 40 years of the team existence.

There is certainly a case for Brady as the GOAT over Montana but it isn't a done deal yet, if Brady gets another ring then it will IMO be a easy call for Brady as the GOAT.

Nice post, congratulations on your SB win. I've been pulling for you all season - if not us, I wanted Seattle to win. I admire the way Schneider and Carroll have put that team together. It's a model for how to build a championship caliber team in a very short time.

Welcome to the club. Now that you've gone from a nice story of rags-to-riches to SB Champions, get used to every team treating their game against you as their personal Super Bowl, and the NFL system working against you every step of the way. Your players will want to get paid, they'll be tempted to buy into their own hype, other teams will overpay for them, you'll be drafting from the back of the pack, and everything will be set up for you to return to mediocrity. A few injuries and a few calls going the wrong way here and there can suddenly sink an entire season. That's the system that has been set up under Goodell - it promotes "parity" and works against sustained excellence. Absolutely everything is stacked against a team being able to sustain excellence in the salary cap/FA era, and so far only 1 team has been able to win the SB and maintain a standard of excellence without dropping to mediocrity or worse for some significant period of time. It will be interesting to see how long the Seahawks can sustain it - they have the best leadership that I've seen outside of NE in a while, but will have difficult decisions in terms of who and how much to pay among all their key players.

Again, welcome.

One more thing to add. In the NFCW, we have the Niners, but worse is that we have their fans.

They are the most entitled group of babies I have ever been involved with and that hasn't changed for years.

They constantly bring up the Brady vs Montana topic and obviously believe that Montana was God. I have seen them both from the start of their careers to the end and Brady's present play.

Everyone knows that Brady is God. I have slippers that prove it. There like my shroud of Turin.

Attachments

• lrg_God_Brady-231-20036-1.jpg
    lrg_God_Brady-231-20036-1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 190

Welcome to the forum! That was a really nice write up, and I really appreciate the kind words you have for the Pats and the fans. Might I inquire as to which Monday Night game you are referring? Also, I too am a Seahawks fan, and I enjoyed watching them crush the Broncos. :D

Your post was so good that I was holding my breath as I got towards the end to hear the shoe drop...but there was no "But..." or "Except..."

So, first of all, thank you. While I admit I'm biased :), I agree.

I wish you could get those points across to some of our fans who don't seem fully to appreciate how remarkable what the Belichick/Brady Pats have accomplished...three Lombardis, five SB appearances and seven trips to the AFCCG in 13 years...as you observe, that will go down in history...and, I would add, even if the current version of the Pats never makes it to the Playoffs again.

Like most Pats fans, I was pulling for the Seahawks last month. I was so confident that Peyton would choke it up big time that, by game day, I was sure you were going to come out on top; I was the only person at the SB party we attended in Manhattan to predict a Seattle victory (did OK in the party's friendly betting pool too!).

You have a terrific team with an outstanding young QB, a strong HC and a smart, committed owner...kind of sounds like the Pats in 2001/02. Taken together, that all suggests that the Seahawks will be a force for the foreseeable future.

I posted out here the day after the SB that I wouldn't be so naive as to argue that the Pats would have beaten the Seahawks that day but only that I was sure Seattle would have known it had been in a football game if New England had been the opponent.

Sustaining the high level at which your team has played this past year (and the prior year with Wilson!) is the next big challenge. If your guys can pull that off and be in the mix again and again, picking up a couple more titles, then they will belong in the same rarefied air as the Landry/Johnson Cowboys, the Lombardi Packers, the Noll Steelers, the Walsh 'niners, the Halas Bears, the Ewbank/Shula Colts and, of course, the Belichick Patriots.

I do have to admit that I have a soft spot for the 'niners because of my respect for Walsh and Montana, but I don't have your experience of the fans since the team isn't even in our conference, but I'll take your word for it.

Good luck and please feel welcome to comment on this board at any time.

Montana never had to play with a group of backups because his entire arsenal of weapons were injured or left to FA. To add, we are talking about being surrounded by the best group in the business. From the Offensive line to the 5 different all-pro skill players he had at his disposal. Brady has done it with young, old, fair, exceptional, newly acquired talent. To me it isn't even a discussion. Even when Montana left he joined a team with a power running game and defense.

I would take Brady 7 days a week.
I'm the biggest Patriot and Brady fan ever, but in my humble opinion, Joe Montana is the greatest QB of all time. Just the fact that he was 4-0 in SBs and threw 11 TDs and 0 INTs, repeat ZERO INTs , just mind boggling numbers. His game vs Denver in the SB was the best I've ever seen a QB play. Yeah you can argue that Brady has been to 5 SBs, all with various levels of weapons (good and bad), and that Montana had some great weapons, but Montana's perfection in SBs give him a slight edge over Brady in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with pretty much be rated in the top 5 alltime, and that's where Brady is. Even Brady haters have to begrudgingly admit he's in the top 5 alltime. Thanks for the kind words though. I've been a Pat's fan since 1975, and I've sure enjoyed the last 20 years as a fan as opposed to the first 20 years. We have become spoiled with the Kraft/Belichick/Brady regime.

Might I inquire as to which Monday Night game you are referring? Also, I too am a Seahawks fan, and I enjoyed watching them crush the Broncos. :D

I am trying to find the game now. I was sure it was the Steelers, but it might have been another team considered "quality". I know it was a night game and I am putting together the generation of HDTV my partner had at the time. I will find it.

Whatever it was, Brady literally went empty early in the game for the entire drive and just made it look easy.

The guy is simply the best. Period. Plus he knows how to handle it.

I can already see the stuff happening with the other fans and teams. The Hawks had a lot of hype this year, I wasn't exactly comfortable with it, so they had a big target on their back which now is massive. The Pats have had that target for years and somehow still took the league apart. I hope that the Hawks can hang and at least get back in the playoffs.

Welcome to the forum! That was a really nice write up, and I really appreciate the kind words you have for the Pats and the fans. Might I inquire as to which Monday Night game you are referring? Also, I too am a Seahawks fan, and I enjoyed watching them crush the Broncos. :D

I found it!

It was against the Vikings 2006, it was the opening drive and I was wrong, there was 1 Dillon run for -8 yards. The rest was all Tom and he didn't stop there.

I have seen him slaughter the Steelers at night time too so I kept thinking it was them.

I do have to admit that I have a soft spot for the 'niners because of my respect for Walsh and Montana, but I don't have your experience of the fans since the team isn't even in our conference, but I'll take your word for it.

Good luck and please feel welcome to comment on this board at any time.

I used to have that same soft spot for the old school Niners. I still respect them as the best team I have ever seen take the field. How could you not? Let's see, one of the best O and D lines ever, Montana. The best receiver ever, all-pro players at nearly every position. The 89 Niners were flat out amazing. So were the teams that surrounded that one. Walsh, Seifert, Holmgren Yikes.

I had the highest respect until the Hawks moved to the NFCW and I made a visit to a Niner board. They assumed that the Hawks would be an easy 2 wins a year. I mean these guys used to predict wins because they had 5 Super Bowl wins and the Hawks had none. Im serious.

They celebrated injuries to opposing players and during a stretch that the Hawks won 6 straight games against them, 4 straight division titles and they refused to admit they lost. In fact, according to Niner fans, the Seahawks have never beat them in a fair game. Ever.

They laughed at the Hawks for losing XL, saying that it doesn't mean anything if you don't win, then in 2012 they celebrated the appearance as an accomplishment.

Enough about them... but if you want a look at a circus, go check out the "Webzone" for the Niners. Then search Seahawks. Right now I am positive that they are claiming the salary cap will destroy the Hawks but it won't have any impact to them.
OK.. enough.

Think Jets except living in Bizarro world. :)

I try to imagine each player trading teams. I know Joe was perfect, heck he was amazing. I just don't think that he would have the same success if the rosters were switched like the turnover that Brady has seen.

Of course there is that whole thing where the league was more physical back in Joe's day. It is a personal preference for me. If Tom Brady had that line and Rice, Taylor, Brent Jones, Roger Craig and Rathman for sustained time?

I get it though, Joe was clearly the king of his time. I'm going with Brady on my dream team. :)

Marlon-Brando-The-Godfather.jpeg

Nice to have you aboard.

I think if there is one thing you will come to realize, if the Seahawks have some long term success like the Pats have done, is that the margin of success is very, very, VERY thin. So much can sabotage a good team, when the reality is that the talent among the 32 teams is very equal. An injury here, a bad bounce of a ball there, a bad call, or a hundred other often uncontrollable variables, at the wrong time; can conspire to derail a good team's season

Now that you've won a Lombardi, the ONLY way for your fan base to be happy, is if you win another. No longer will having a 10 win season be enough. Even if you make to another super bowl, but lose; your season becomes an abject failure

For the last 11 consecutive years the Pats have had double digit wins in a league where almost every teams' fan base would kill for 3 in a row. Sure you can delude yourself that a season like the Pats just had, was something to be proud of.....and for a lot of reasons it was. BUT every Pats fan on the board can confirm that the loss in the AFCCG held no moral victory. It was painful...very painful

So the lesson Pats fans have all learned is that once you have reached the apex of your sport, no season is successful UNLESS you win it all.. And while we enjoyed the regular season much more than say Texan fans, when it comes right down to it, we share the same disappointment, and the only thing we have to show for it, is a horrible position in the draft,. ;)

Seattle looks like its set up to be good for a while. But remember its a lot easier to get to the elite level of the league than it is to stay there. Just ask the Steelers, Ravens, Giants and Packers.

I'm not even close to thinking that the Hawks can sustain any success. Like my username, I am just grateful for the one Super Bowl right now. I have no problem admitting it. It is why I am so impressed by the Pats and their amazing window that just seems to be open year after year.

I look at it this way. In the span of time that the Pats have maintained the ability to be competitive, the Seahawks built a pretty strong team under Holmgren that aged away with a Super Bowl appearance they lost and rebuilt an entirely different team and worked their way back. In that time the Pats have never wavered in being a competitive team. I have no doubt that NE can easily get back and win 2 more before Brady hangs it up.

BB is a Jedi Master of football and your owner has the right guys in place. Pure admiration.

The one thing the Hawks do have going for them is their depth and youth. They are a mass of 4 year and under players, mostly under contract for 2014. Plus there is the Harvin factor. If he stays healthy he will add a piece to the Hawks that can only help. 2015? Different story. The injury bug is key too. I just don't see how the Pats do it.

Great introduction!

I have no doubt the Hawks are gonna be a force for awhile. I would love to see a healthy Pats-Hawks SB. See PC going against his former team, and Brady and Sherman renewing that rivalry. It'll be an entertaining game and lead up.

Its nice to hear an opposing team fan view on what this team here accomplished. I think many people take advantage of what this team done. Sooner or later it's gonna be over. I don't take none of this for granted. Buildups to prime time games, playoffs, and Championships/SB never get old.

You guys have a young, confident, in your face team. Other have pointed out this coming year the bullseye on your back gets bigger. You also have to worry about some of your players ego's. Some will think they are worth much more then what they really deserve. You'll also have some that after getting to, and winning the SB will feel content. A perfect example I use of that in our situation was a guy like Lawyer Milloy. Before the SB he was an elite, all pro/pro bowl safety, one of the best in the game. After he won that SB, the hangover seemed to last awhile with him. Had a bad season after, them refused to restructure his deal, in which the team cut him a week before the season. A bunch of situations like that can happen behind the scenes.

Barring drastic injuries you guys are gonna be knocking on the door for awhile though. Enjoy every minute of it. It's an awesome rewarding feeling as a fan.

Congrats OP, you guys had an awesome season and are well-deserving champs. I wish you guys luck next year. It's tough having a target on your back but Pete knows what that's like from his USC days, and I think you guys will be ready for the challenges that come with it.

I gotta say, Russell Wilson is very Brady-esque as a leader, but with incredible mobility. Not about to put him in the HOF or anything, but you guys are blessed with one of the best QBs in the game for the next decade or so.

Barring drastic injuries you guys are gonna be knocking on the door for awhile though. Enjoy every minute of it. It's an awesome rewarding feeling as a fan.

Seattle looks like a serious contender for the next few years, but things change so quickly in this league. I was thinking of Green Bay winning the Super Bowl, how dominant that team looked, and how Rodgers looked so unstoppable, and they went 15-1 the next season but lose their first play-off game, and they're 1-3 in the play-offs since that win. They win the Super Bowl, go 15-1, 11-5, then 8-7-1 (largely due to Rodgers's injury).

It's such a fine line. The Ravens won the Super Bowl with everyone peaking at the right time, then they don't even make the play-offs. The Giants win in 2007 and lose their first play-off game the next year, don't even make the play-offs the next two seasons, barely squeak in and win the Super Bowl again (dying while I write this BTW), then miss the play-offs the next two seasons.

I think Seattle will withstand the pressure and do well, but it really is incredible how quickly things change at the top. 4 seasons ago, Seattle was the 7-9 division "winner" everyone criticized for getting a home play-off game, now they are Super Bowl winners and a potential juggernaut. I agree with you and think they will be a serious contender, but the NFL really is the Not For Long league.

What a classy post :rocker:

Congrats for the SB win, I was rooting for the Seahawks badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes