PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Here Comes Dobsonmania

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter runs Div 1 track - 5 time All American. She broke her foot (navicular) and it took 8 to 9 months to heal and the surgeon said that was fast. Even though the x-ray/MRI shows fully healed it still swells when she runs. Surgeon said post healing swelling was normal and will last for up to 3 months. Dobson might have healed but still swells up during the game/practice so is not the best choice on game day. Could be nothing to do with his ability or play book knowledge.

I believe it. I tore my labrum in my hip and had it operated on in April, around the same time Dobson had his foot surgery. I'm finally able to cut on it now and even at that, it's been a war trying to get the strength even on both sides. I know I'm not a pro athlete, but I did physical therapy 3 days a week, 2 hours a pop for 4 months. I'm sure Dobsons surgery was more evasive than a labrum repair. Hope your daughter has a full recovery, hard work pays off!

Please re-title this thread to: Laughably Optimistic Observations About Aaron Dobson That Are In No Way Supported By Facts.

Dobson ran a faster 40- big whoop. LaFell has shown he can get behind the defense with some consistency; Dobson has not.

To think that Dobson can do what LaFell does is laughable.

Sorry, but I watched Dobson last year. After his initial dropsies, I saw an NFL-caliber receiver, period. I used the word "ceiling," as in potential, with full understanding that many, many players, even good players, never achieve their potential.

Will Dobson? Who the hell knows? If he does, I'd rather it be here than somewhere else. People calling for him to be cut are, quite honestly, idiots. Sorry, but that's the truth. Go look at the first couple of years for guys like Demarius Thomas and Julius Thomas and Eric Decker. I wish the Broncos had treated them with the same dismissive attitude many on this board display toward rookies.

Dobson is cost-controlled, has shown he can hold Brady''s trust (the stretch when he came back last year), and by every definition I've heard out of Foxboro, can do everything right.

Yes, he can do everything LaFell does if he progresses. He's not a little guy and runs good intermediate routes. And he can take the top off better than LaFell can - that's not even in question.

He may yet bust out. He may become a very similar receiver to LaFell (most likely, imo), or he may become a true #1.

Sorry, but I watched Dobson last year. After his initial dropsies, I saw an NFL-caliber receiver, period. I used the word "ceiling," as in potential, with full understanding that many, many players, even good players, never achieve their potential.

Will Dobson? Who the hell knows? If he does, I'd rather it be here than somewhere else. People calling for him to be cut are, quite honestly, idiots. Sorry, but that's the truth. Go look at the first couple of years for guys like Demarius Thomas and Julius Thomas and Eric Decker. I wish the Broncos had treated them with the same dismissive attitude many on this board display toward rookies.

Dobson is cost-controlled, has shown he can hold Brady''s trust (the stretch when he came back last year), and by every definition I've heard out of Foxboro, can do everything right.

Yes, he can do everything LaFell does if he progresses. He's not a little guy and runs good intermediate routes. And he can take the top off better than LaFell can - that's not even in question.

He may yet bust out. He may become a very similar receiver to LaFell (most likely, imo), or he may become a true #1.

I'm right there with you. People are far too quick to pass judgement, particularly when being negative. Dobson clearly has NFL caliber talent and will likely end up no worse than a #3 somewhere in the league.

That said, I absolutely loathe the concept of "ceiling" when discussed by fans. I recognize the importance if you are an NFL scout wading through hundreds of draft prospects, looking for reasons to chose one over countless other apparently equivalent choices.

But we fans aren't nearly that educated. We can't really tell what someone's ceiling is. And even if we could, too many players fail to approach this level, so the comparison comes off as absurd, particularly after the fact.

If we are going to speculate, I'd much talk in terms of what is the most likely contribution level for this player.

Had totally forgot about Dobbson.

MEH, Id rather see Wright and Almendola get more looks.

I had a stress fracture in my foot earlier this year, way less than what AD had...seven months later and it's just getting right now. The feet are involved in EVERYTHING. And AD is an NFL receiver. Think of the pressure on his feet.

Since we can't know what's really going on, my money is on the concept that the foot has held him back, maybe in terms of game speed, being in sync with Brady, conditioning, or even swelling and pain. Also the offense is explosive now and there is no need to rush him back.

Rumors of the death of his career are exaggerated.

Last edited:
I think ArcheryAddict makes a really good point, why would Belichick keep him active if the issue was his ability to contribute? He wouldn't , he would simply IR him. I think they like Donson and feel he can help them this season, and since LaFell has played well they have the luxury of letting him heal fully, which is a really big deal with foot injuries. Dobsons detractors may end up being right but if Belichick didn't think he could help them this season he wouldn't still be carrying him.

We'll see?

• Agree
Reactions: TBR
They shouldn't have activated him last year after he broke his foot. Probably aggravated it.

Well, I hope you're right, because I would love Dobson to suddenly "wake up".

But if that is the case, we could just as easily say, "Here comes Hoomanawanuimania" (if you can even say that without spitting up your drink) or "Here comes Tymsmania" (which contrary to popular belief is not an island state, part of the Commonwealth of Australia, located 150 mi to the south of the Australian continent, separated by the Bass Strait).

If the second one happens, though, we could start calling him the Tymsmanian Devil!

Why do so many people have such a fascination with forcing balls to Dobson?

Mike Reiss has stated multiple times that he's a healthy scratch, and in this week's mailbag, he noted that Dobson needs to show more aggression in practice to win back playing time.

By the way, how many times has there been a false report about a player's conduct in New England. Sure, there are lots of speculative, off-base opinion pieces that take quotes out of context, but we're talking about a report about an actual incident in which Dobson mouthed off to McDaniels. You think there was all smoke and not fire there? Coincidentally, he hasn't played since then.

I'd just like for people to acknowledge his lack of playing time is likely due to something beyond the injury. If it were that bad, he would be IR'd or would have been IR'd with designation to return.

Mike Reiss has stated multiple times that he's a healthy scratch, and in this week's mailbag, he noted that Dobson needs to show more aggression in practice to win back playing time.

By the way, how many times has there been a false report about a player's conduct in New England. Sure, there are lots of speculative, off-base opinion pieces that take quotes out of context, but we're talking about a report about an actual incident in which Dobson mouthed off to McDaniels. You think there was all smoke and not fire there? Coincidentally, he hasn't played since then.

I'd just like for people to acknowledge his lack of playing time is likely due to something beyond the injury. If it were that bad, he would be IR'd or would have been IR'd with designation to return.

Unless you think Reiss is vocalizing inside information under the guise of opinion, his comments on this issue hold no weight whatsoever.

And I don't know of a single person who has said injuries were the sole cause of Dobson's playing time. In fact, nearly everyone who postulates that idea incorporates it into a mosaic of factors.

We certainly couldn't attribute his status to Belichick's abilities as a personnel selector. The Haters testify that BB is a dismal failure at selecting talent. Yet, A year after the Receiver reconstruction, the team is overflowing with receiving talent; and someone sits, and another labors in Oakland...

The BB haters are never wrong, so they assert. It never occurs to them that the young veterans with 5 years of experience are playing in front of the 2 year experienced WRs.

Hmmnn, Where was it I heard that most receivers need 3 years of experience before they fully blossom ?

I don't think rooting for our second round pick to make it on the field in his second year is "wanting to force him balls."

Why are so many so invested in seeing him fail? We even had one of our finest trolls peek his head out of hiding just long enough to take a shot at him.

Why would players who are hot right now lose snaps to him? I never said I wanted to see him fail, but I'm content with just waiting for him to get his chance once again. It would be a entirely different story if he was on the field not getting open/poor route running/etc.

BB has talked highly of him, when his number is called then hopefully he can step up and catch some balls. Until then ... not worth talking about nonstop because there is literally no sample size to go off of from this season. It's just the same rehashed ******** over and over

Why would players who are hot right now lose snaps to him? I never said I wanted to see him fail, but I'm content with just waiting for him to get his chance once again. It would be a entirely different story if he was on the field not getting open/poor route running/etc.

BB has talked highly of him, when his number is called then hopefully he can step up and catch some balls. Until then ... not worth talking about nonstop because there is literally no sample size to go off of from this season. It's just the same rehashed ******** over and over

I fine with them waiting until he is needed to use him, right now the only player i can see himj taking snaps from is Tyms and he is far from "hot."

I never said I wanted to see him fail, but I'm content with just waiting for him to get his chance once again.

there are a number of posters who want him to fail, as they do the patriots in general, some have even stopped in to take a little dump in this thread. They haven't been able to post much lately but threads like this one give them a chance to squeeze out a little crap.

Detroit is stout against the run? Expect our boys to spread them out and chuck it all around the schoolyard?

Here comes just the opposite. Bill will line up and run it right through the teeth all afternoon... Successfully.

If I were other teams Id prepare for the exact opposite of what everyone expects the Pats to do. Because well.. That's what Bill does.

Unless you think Reiss is vocalizing inside information under the guise of opinion, his comments on this issue hold no weight whatsoever.

And I don't know of a single person who has said injuries were the sole cause of Dobson's playing time. In fact, nearly everyone who postulates that idea incorporates it into a mosaic of factors.

You say that we are "overflowing in receiving talent", celebrating the talent and production of Amendola, Tyms, Dobson and even Thompkins. Some have other assessments of the current value of those players.

If his lack of playing time was due to saying something to MacDaniels he would have been back on the field long ago, they deal with things like that immediately and move on, ala Welker and the Ryan jokes, it doesn't linger for months or it would have been so severe they would have cut him. I believe his lack of playing time has been a combination of foot troubles and the reports that he simply isn't playing tough enough and needs to learn how to fight for balls more and go after them more aggressively. I think this is something they feel they can teach him and that he can become a good players and contributor once he gets it. If he doesn't then I would guess we will see the last of him next Pre-Season. If he can't learn to play the way they want him to by then he would be released.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing