PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Here come the "Goodell Loves The Pats" screams again - no Suspension for Kaczur

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has any NFL player ever been suspended for abusing pain-killers? IMO, it's a can of worms that the league doesn't want to open. I'm sure any player with a good legal team could file suit against the NFL if suspended, claiming that the rigors of the NFL forced the team to prescribe him painkillers so he could still get on the field, and this lead him to an addiction.

The player wouldn't even need to win his case for this to be a mess for the NFL, as the bad publicity alone would be a nightmare for the NFL. IMO, painkillers are the league's dirty little secret and they will continue to look the other way on cases like this.

"alone would be a nightmare for the NFL"

Are you talking about Roger "Jets" Goodell?? :eek:

Where did this post come from? This is really old news, like last offseason. The NFL already said that he wouldn't be suspended.

I didn't know that oxycontin was popular in the streets now.
I gotta get out more.:p

Yup.. they call it Hillbilly Heroin. Crushing and snorting it is the most popular way to abuse it.

Where did this post come from? This is really old news, like last offseason. The NFL already said that he wouldn't be suspended.

Just Florio digging up crap.

Last edited:
That is what I was thinking. Florio recycling news for the Pats haters that didn't see for the first time. I'm sure glad I don't go on that website anymore. I see the same thing on yahoo.com homepage, which is really annoying. They recycle news articles that are weeks old and act like it's new.

Last edited:
That is what I was thinking. Florio recycling news for the Pats haters that didn't see for the first time. I'm sure glad I don't go on that website anymore. I see the same thing on yahoo.com homepage, which is really annoying. They recycle news articles that are weeks old and act like it's new.

Exactly.... out of all the stories on the front page of his Rumor Mill, it's this old story that has the most user comments on it, by far (and some are utterly ridiculous). Patriots are the hated team now, and that means good traffic for a web site if you spin it the right way, and Florio knows how to spin it. No new reasons to hate the Pats.... screw it, let's just bring up an old story and insinuate preferential treatment, that'll get the sheep in an uproar.

Goes along with what I said here. Haters are going to hate, no matter what. Florio is just a troll with a website.

It's not that hard.

One is a pain killer prescribed by doctors, legal in many cases. The other is an illegal drug.

So, presumably, one might be prescribed Oxy and then become addicted. That being said, it's clear Kaczur was abusing the drug much as someone would abuse cocaine, so in that sense, you're right.

Brett Favre had an addiction to some form of pain killer while playing for GB. He wasnt suspended either because hes never missed a start.

Cocaine can be prescribed, which is why it's schedule II and not schedule I. It's not used much since there are more alternatives (lidocaine, benzocaine, etc) for it than for opioids, but it's still sometimes used as a topical ointment. In a way, opioids like oxycontin are actually a lot worse because their physical addiction potential is far greater than cocaine's. But there ain't much difference in the eyes of the law.

How often do you see someone with a script for cocaine? I surmise that its very rare. Pain killers obviously more common.

IIRC, Kazur wasnt arrested.

Brett Favre had an addiction to some form of pain killer while playing for GB. He wasnt suspended either because hes never missed a start.
Hydrocodone (Vicodin, the painkiller of Champions), kind of like a weaker form of Oxycodone (OxyContin). Not suspended, because like Kazcur, never convicted of a crime involving the controlled substance.

T-Shirt:

Are you a pharmacist or a senior pharmacy tech? Or are you over-informed pharmacy consumer? You speak the lingo. FYI, I am not in the trade but my wife is a senior pharmacy tech. She speaks your language (generic name, schedule levels, and etc.).

Isn't it true that drug users in the NFL are not suspended for a first offense? The people suspended have all had their wrists slapped before, I believe.

Just like if you fail a drug test, nobody knows about it. Fil again and you are in some trouble.

Probably a combination of that and of him copping a plea.

I don't know of any prior drug issues Rodney had, for instance.

Matt Jones just got suspended and his supporters are complaining that Kaczur was let off, apparently some see the situations as similar. Which they are not.

my point exactly. Why doesnt florio bring that up ?

You can't equate the two situations, in part because of the drug policy, mostly because the Jet's drug arrest is so recent that any penalty has not worked its way through the system. I think there's a good chance he will eventually get suspended.

Jones' suspension took months, by the way... he was arrested in July and had his sentencing in mid October. Suspended in December.

Jones' suspension took months, by the way... he was arrested in July and had his sentencing in mid October. Suspended in December.
Too late to save the Jags passing game. :ugh:

Yes, the offenses are identical, both being Schedule II drugs in the US.

It would be very hard to say whether one is worse than the other.
Not for most of society.

T-Shirt:

Are you a pharmacist or a senior pharmacy tech? Or are you over-informed pharmacy consumer? You speak the lingo. FYI, I am not in the trade but my wife is a senior pharmacy tech. She speaks your language (generic name, schedule levels, and etc.).

Over-informed consumer. ADD sufferer with a semi-photographic memory and a love of all things chemical. :)

Probably a combination of that and of him copping a plea.

I don't know of any prior drug issues Rodney had, for instance.
Rodney's case fell under the NFL's performance enhancing drug policy, which mandates a four-game suspension for a first failed offense. The NFL's recreational drug policy usually first gives offenders a chance to enter a confidential drug program for a first offense, but that's only for a failed drug test. In these instances, with arrests, the cases could fall under the personal conduct policy.

Not for most of society.
I don't recognize your authority to speak for "most of society", at least not without permission slips from everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back