PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Here come "running up the score" theories again

Status
Not open for further replies.
with 1/2 the game left do you really call the dogs off in the NFL? maybe after 3 quarters, but right after half is arguably too early to stop executing your gameplan.

Absolutely agree. Baltimore nearly pulled a win out over the Vikings yesterday, and the Bills came back to knock off the Jests.

I've never had a problem with teams continuing to play even though they have a big lead. In baseball you get that alot. If a baseball team is up by say 9 runs in the 8th inning, they're not supposed to steal a base, or do anything that resembles that they are trying to score more runs. I've always felt it's up to the losing team in this situation to throw in the towel before expecting the winning team to throw in the towel. As long as the losing team is still trying to claw back, why does the winning team have to stop trying? And even if Fischer did throw in the towel by putting in all second stringers in the second half, that doesn't mean the other team necessarily has to do the same. Those guys bust their humps practicing all week so they can have that 60 minutes to have fun playing ball - no reason they have to stop playing just because a whiny team might get their feelings hurt. I would say the same thing if it were the Pats who got embarrassed. Most of the times the losing team takes it personal as if the other team is trying to embarrass them, but unless it's the Jets, who openly admit that is what they would like to do to the opposition, it's just guys who want to play the whole 60 minutes and coaches who want to do the same - as Al Pacino said, it's nothing personal.

Hey the Steelers were up 28 points over the Chargers and let off the gas and all of sudden were in a game and had to win it late by kicking a field goal to go up 10 points at 38-28. It was a one score game with under 2 minutes.

I think the only questionable part for the Patriots is 4th and 6 at the Tennessee 31 yard line in the 3rd and the Pats went for it. But then of coarse that's the real weird area on the field where you don't want to punt and don't want to kick a 48 yard field goal.

The fact the Pats scored 0 in the forth kind of tells me they could have hung 73 on the Titans if they wanted to.

I want to see TB humiliate Rex Ryan on the second game. By the way, i think that it's the way we should play our O. Running up the score is our mojo.

I want every game to be a 100-0 win, the trophy every year, and every record anyone could ever think of.

If you don't play like that on every play, then why play sports...

for the exercise ?

Absolutely agree. Baltimore nearly pulled a win out over the Vikings yesterday, and the Bills came back to knock off the Jests.

DITTO, you can't let up, ever, some teams don't want to roll over.

If BB was trying to stick it to Fischer, it wasn't over the spygate comments. It was over his smirk after one of his players took out Rodney's knee late in '06. Fischer was a richard that day and BB didn't forget.

Regards,
Chris

If BB was trying to stick it to Fischer, it wasn't over the spygate comments. It was over his smirk after one of his players took out Rodney's knee late in '06. Fischer was a richard that day and BB didn't forget.

Regards,
Chris

Bingo

Having Rodney in Indy means 4 Lombardi's

My EMAIL to Dan Wetzel

I don't want to post the Yahoo link, because I don't want him to get hits. However, he wrote an article asking the question as to whether the Pats were running up the score against the Titans. Here is my email to him:

Dan, I just got through reading your article on the Patriots win over the Titans, and I expected there'd be articles like this following the game. The question, as expected, has been posed as to whether or not the Patriots ran up the score - you posed it. Did you watch the game? Did you see that they benched Brady for nearly the entire second half? Did you see offensive linemen like Simmons and Connelly get extended playing time for the first time this season? Did you see the same thing with rookie DBs Butler and Chung? Did you see their backup QB, Hoyer kneeling three times at the end of the game?

It just blows my mind that you, or anybody can continue to question whether a team was running up the score, when that team scored 59 points in the first three quarters, and 0 points in the fourth quarter. Do you think maybe the Patriots could have scored in the fourth quarter, if they wanted to do so? I hate this garbage, because it keeps being dished out on the Patriots, regardless of the facts.

Like the article also says;

Way better to have these arguments and controversies then the "Brady's all washed up" crap we had to listen to all last week.

I welcome this criticism.

Hey the Steelers were up 28 points over the Chargers and let off the gas and all of sudden were in a game and had to win it late by kicking a field goal to go up 10 points at 38-28. It was a one score game with under 2 minutes.

I think the only questionable part for the Patriots is 4th and 6 at the Tennessee 31 yard line in the 3rd and the Pats went for it. But then of coarse that's the real weird area on the field where you don't want to punt and don't want to kick a 48 yard field goal.

The fact the Pats scored 0 in the forth kind of tells me they could have hung 73 on the Titans if they wanted to.

What is weird is, in the NFL, it is considered running up the score, if you go for a field goal on fourth down, but not if you go for it on fourth down. Belichick went for it on fourth at least twice in the second half when they would have been easy field goals. They also knelt on it on forth down to end the game instead of punting it.

Somebody needs to correct me if I am wrong, but I think that taking your starting QB out of the game 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter is the earliest "mercy benching" of a healthy game-winning QB in NFL history, excepting meaningless game 16 efforts.

Eli went out earlier vs. Oakland earlier this year, but he had a sore heel and was questionable to play anyway.

The only one comparable situation I recall is Peyton Manning, Thanskgiving 2004, but he stayed in until 2 minutes were left in the 3rd quarter of a 41-9 win, going out after lofting his 6th TD pass on the way to 49.

Pulling Tom Brady that early is, to my knowledge, unprecedented in NFL history.

Last edited:
He's played longer in pre-season games. I've NEVER seen anything like yesterdays game. EVER !

Re: My EMAIL to Dan Wetzel

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story...Journalism 2009.

Re: My EMAIL to Dan Wetzel

Hey the Saints onbly scored 11 points less than we did yesterday. Were they running up the score on the Giants?
This crap used to bug me but really, after all the SpyGate garbage, its pretty clear that people will think this crap, regardless of the facts. Who needs facts???

Right but the 4 WR shotgun to open the 2nd half up 42-0 was a little over the top. Don't get me wrong, I loved it, I think Belichick is a f*cking bad ass and I love him as a coach. But . . . you know.

Time to take your skirt off. This is football. We have every right to score as many damn points as we want, as do our opponents...

Last edited:
The only one I would question is the throwing deep. You can't never run a deep route because it clams up the play field, and if the only guy open is the deep receiver you should have to force it into a covered player underneath (or throw it away) just to avoid "running up the score".

I agree that running the flea flicker designed for the end zone would have been poor form in the second half though, if that's the type of thing you were referring to.

You are correct and your explanation is what I was driving at. If a team is getting blown out and their defense is still crowding the line, they deserve to get a deep ball thrown on them.

Ok so the people were talking about this running up the score stuff on the way home from the game last nght! As a guy trying to get to grips with the in's and out's of football can some one explain what the problem is with running up the score?

Time to take your skirt off. This is football. We have every right to score as many damn points as we want, as do our opponents...

Here here! haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back