PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Herald: Mankins is in the Foxboro area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be traded so he can play on his tender with another team? It's not like teams are dishing out contracts to players like him. Being traded only makes him play his contract year with a completely unfamiliar team.

If that's the case, does KC need a guard?

Not sure. But Mankins will probably be an upgrade over anything they have.

Having said this, I fully expect to be told how overrated Mankins is now...

He's NOT signing his Tender. Just to be clear.

Be traded so he can play on his tender with another team? It's not like teams are dishing out contracts to players like him. Being traded only makes him play his contract year with a completely unfamiliar team.

You clearly haven't been following the NFL. Jahri Evans got a huge deal with the Saints and Mankins is in the same class as Evans.. Teams ARE dishing out contracts to Top 10 caliber players at their position.

He's NOT signing his Tender. Just to be clear.

That makes no sense.. He can't be traded until he does.. That contradicts he "Trade Me" statements.

You clearly haven't been following the NFL. Jahri Evans got a huge deal with the Saints and Mankins is in the same class as Evans.. Teams ARE dishing out contracts to Top 10 caliber players at their position.

To which Vince Wilfork can attest.

That makes no sense.. He can't be traded until he does.. That contradicts he "Trade Me" statements.
I guess he said the only way he signs is to be traded.

Evans is the best guard in the NFL in the minds of many. Mankins is arguably top 5. That's a big difference. And for every Jahri Evans, there's a Marcus McNeill AND a Nick Mangold, who are also entering contract years and not getting extensions. Are even half of the high-end RFAs/last year of contract guys getting extended?

Wilfork is different because he was unrestricted. Don't pay him, and he's gone. The Patriots still hold Mankins' rights whether they pay him or not.

Evans is the best guard in the NFL in the minds of many. Mankins is arguably top 5. That's a big difference. And for every Jahri Evans, there's a Marcus McNeill AND a Nick Mangold, who are also entering contract years and not getting extensions. Are even half of the high-end RFAs/last year of contract guys getting extended?

Wilfork is different because he was unrestricted. Don't pay him, and he's gone. The Patriots still hold Mankins' rights whether they pay him or not.

McNeil is a TACKLE and Mangold is a CENTER. There is a big difference there between them and Mankins.. And neither is better than Mankins..

And many players have gotten extensions..

Wilfork was different in that he was franchised. But that makes the situation very similar in terms of the contracts and trades and such. The player can't be traded until the tender is signed.

And Evans is arguably underpaid.

Steinbeck, Brown, Davis, Hutchinson, and Snee all make more money.

McNeil is a TACKLE and Mangold is a CENTER. There is a big difference there between them and Mankins.. And neither is better than Mankins..

And many players have gotten extensions..

Well, I'm sorry that I had to expand a little, but I can only think of two big-name guards that wanted extensions, and we're dealing with one of them. That leaves a sample size of 1, which everyone knows isn't accurate at all.

The point is the same. There are plenty of high-level players (including fellow OL) that want extensions. Less than half are getting them.

And Evans is arguably underpaid.

Steinbeck, Brown, Davis, Hutchinson, and Snee all make more money.

How so? I don't know which Brown you're talking about, but the other 4 all average under $7.1 million for 6-7 years. Evans is getting $8.1 million for 7 years on average.

How so? I don't know which Brown you're talking about, but the other 4 all average under $7.1 million for 6-7 years. Evans is getting $8.1 million for 7 years on average.

The average money is irrelevant. What is relevant is what the players make in the first 3 years. Everything after that isn't likely to be paid out.

Evans makes $25.6M in the first 3 years.

There are 7 guards within $1M total of that.(faneca, brown, davis, steinbeck, hutchinson, snee, dielman). Evans is much better than most of them (hence, he might be underpaid)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots