PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Herald issues apology

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is tantamont to prining a story the day before an election that one of the candidates is a child molestor, and then saying "we're sorry, we had no proof of that and shouldn't have printed it, when we did", it really does the candidates no good since he has already lost.

The Herald basically just admitted that they made this story up, the only reason they issued such an outright apoplogy, must have been on advice from their lawyers.

There is a huge difference. We didn't vote on who gets to win the sb. The Giants didn't win the SB b/c people thought the Pats cheated in 2001, the Giants won because they played football better. PERIOD.

Re: Herald issuies a apology

As a reporter elsewhere, I believe the Herald either has to name the sources for lying to the paper or discipline Tomase for not communicating properly with the sources or with editors. Or discipline the editors involved.

When you agree to hold someone's name back, you do it even if you go to jail. But all bets are off if they lie. If the sources weren't sure of the info talking to Tomase, they should have told him or he should have understood the gray area and conveyed that to editors. If you're going to use unnamed sources, you better realize as a reporter that their extent of knowledge and your deal about holding the name back is very, very well understood. If editors knew there was no confirmation, then the editor who made the call probaby should be fired.

But somebody lied. That person needs to be outed or fired.

You keep an identity private because you gave your word and won't betray trust. If the source betrays you, you don't have that obligation anymore.

Side issue: a few on here are seizing on the change from a single source in the story to sources (plural) in the apology. On a story like this, The Herald likely talked to several people with varying degrees of knowledge (misinformation) about the situation. Somebody was the primary source telling them that the tape existed. But there may ne a number of partial confirming sources that gave info that fit the story. Someone (THE source) may have told Tomase there was a tape. Then a second person may have said...as a guess...he heard coaches talking about the tape, or a Patriots lawyer talking aboiut the tape or something like that. The second source adds credence to it but isn't strong enough to rely on.

There's also a real chance that the sources were honest about things they had misinformation about and Tomase was honest with editors and then editors made the call that a very gray and sketchy thing was good enough to run with. It's not as if Tomase has a long resume and has worked at a lot of high level papers to have a base of experience in situations like this to draw upon. Typically editors are more experienced than reporters and should be good guides. If an editor told him what to do, he'd probably go along. It takes a ton of balls and ego to tell the editor (your employer) that you're right and he's wrong and either refuse to do the story or insist your byline be pulled from it.

If that was the case, though, name the editors that made that call.

Fellow Fan,

I will go so far as to say that, at this point, it is my personal opinion that Tomasse didn't have ANY source, that he simply overheard a rumour and ran with it, making up whatever details he needed to flesh out the story.

Unfortunately, the lame-stream media in this country have forgotten the ethics that once accompanyed their avocation, and have returned to the days of yellow jouurnalism where the bottom line is sales.

Tomasse is not, in my opinion, the first to create a story out of whole cloth, and he will not be the last. However, it is something that we all should have seen coming. In the back-stabbing world of Boston Hournalism, where there are no real rules but plenty of victims, this action is the logical next step.

We have already seen the sort of gossip and innuendo lathered on thick and fast by other reporters in this town. Felger, Borges, et al, and their own bosses have stood by and, by remaining silent, encouraged this sort of irresponsable, even adolescent-loke behoviour. Their is no journalism in either Boston or New York. It's just gossip and innuendo. Reporting? Nope... it's character assasination of an order that would make even Tony Soprano blanche.

These disgusting an self-serving reporters and their shameless and clueless enablers in management have finally cost New England a chanpionship. That's the simple truth in all of this. They houded a team into a monumental loss, and those same reporters ought to be made lto pay for it.

Anyway, that's my own opinion. Other's mileage may, of course, vary, but it's how I see things through my tired old eyes.

Respects,

Last edited:

These disgusting an selg-serving reporters and their shameless and clueless enablers in management have finally cost New England a chanpionship.

What the heck are you smoking? How did one lousy newspaper article cause the O-Line to play like crap? How did that same article allow Eli to scramble away from a sure sack to ice the game? How did Tomase's article cause Tyree to catch that pass?

What the heck are you smoking? How did one lousy newspaper article cause the O-Line to play like crap? How did that same article allow Eli to scramble away from a sure sack to ice the game? How did Tomase's article cause Tyree to catch that pass?

I'm not smoking anything, and being completely rational. One cannot honestly post here and claim that these events, this constant harping all season long, did NOT have any effect at the end> Yes, the Giants played well. Props to them, they won. However, all it takes is for that one last seed to be planted in the player's minds, that one other worry, or doubt, or thought, or whatever,. That's all it takes, and that's what the media did.

Sure, the players will man ip and take the loss on themselves. That's what honourable men do. Not a man-jack of them will blame anyone but themselves for the loss. It's the way the game is played, and it's what is expected. However, even the most casual of fans will understand that they DID have help losing that game. It came from the mouths and words of our own home-town media folks.

Last edited:

Are you trying to say that you've never seen big news throw professional teams off their game before? Heck, it happened to the Falcons not all that long ago. We'll never know if Gwedd is right or wrong about his theory, but it's not as if it's a crazy notion with no merit.

F THEM!! :mad: They have been doing shoddy reporting for years. This time they went to far. The Herald can go to Hell. What they did was IRRESPONSIBLE!! My boycott will continue. Tomase needs to go. I don't trust a guy like that to report information about my team. :mad::mad:
I read through every post to see if someone wrote what I felt towards the Herald before I made the comment. Well I got bingo. **** that rag.

Though the slander could have distracted the players to a large extent since it was published just before the SB leading to unprecendented negative attention on the team, the players are professionals who have to execute on the field. Giants beat us and deserved to win the SB. No point in lamenting about it.

But, I will continue to have my disgust for the BH and will boycott it for quite some time.

That trashy piece of paper had to publish unsubstantiated rumors on the eve of the biggest game of the season and play a big role in distracting a team poised to achieve a historic record that might never be accomplished again.

Go to football hell BH.

They did not lose the game b/c of the article. But the intent of the timing of the article was no doubt to distract the team and coaching staff because BB hates the Herald. I hope Tomase gets fired and ends up homeless. Then maybe he would drop a few, the fattie.

If the media can defame and nearly destroy a billion dollar corporation with millions of loyal fans, all based on a LIE, imagine what they are capable of doing to an individual, without the resources to properly defend himself?

IMO the Krafts would be totally justified in suing the Herald with the goal of putting it out of business, and making a cautionary example of the newspaper for the good of everyone.

I doubt they will do us, because Mr. Kraft is not a vindictive man, unlike his enemies in and out of the league. However, Jonathan Kraft is not as restrained as his father.

Are you trying to say that you've never seen big news throw professional teams off their game before? Heck, it happened to the Falcons not all that long ago. We'll never know if Gwedd is right or wrong about his theory, but it's not as if it's a crazy notion with no merit.

Great point. The Bengals had their 3rd down back go on a coke binge before the SB and it distracted them. The Falcons had their man of the year busted for soliciting a hooker and it distracted them. The Raiders had Barrett Robbins disappear into Tijuana and it distracted them. But some people here still persist in the belief this story had NO impact on the SB 42. It's laughable. The team won 18 games in a row without a loss, and finally was defeated by a razor thin margin. EVERYTHING impacted that game. The Herald story hurt the team- not alot, but just enough to produce a narrow loss.

Last edited:
I am still amazed that with all that has happened to the likes of Borgy, B-Ryan, and others out there who have been caught in journalistic nomans land you'd think Thomasse would know better. Granted those examples I gave are different from him but the point holds true which is in this day of eye blinking speed media you must watch your step and think twice before printing cause everyone is watching, not just here but everywhere.

Last edited:
It's been said before on this board, but "too little too late." Unfortunately, the damage is done and won't be undone for a long time.

So basically you're calling the Pats mentally weak. If you said that about the Celts right now, I'd agree but the Pats? Who had just won 18 games in a row? Who had been there before?

I don't buy it.

herald0514.jpg

that must be our SB XLII trophy right? :bricks:

So basically you're calling the Pats mentally weak. If you said that about the Celts right now, I'd agree but the Pats? Who had just won 18 games in a row? Who had been there before?

I don't buy it.

No, it's calling them human, which is something we sometimes seem to forget.

I don't buy it.

Add that straw to all the other straws on their backs. They were already feeling the pressure, we know this because they've mentioned it since.

The Herald Issuies a aplogy, oh and Bill Belichick and Robert Kraft apoligized.. So why cant espn, the times, or daily news, or peter king , issuie one.. Because they are too proud..

Pride goeth before a destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall....
(Proverbs 16:18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back