PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Herald issues apology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Herald issuies a apology

Thanks to the Herald, the idiots in the National Media are still questioning spy-gate, even after yesterday's press conference. In my opinion, the editor at the Herald who let this story go to print should be fired for gross neglegence.

I hope the Patriots sue the pants off of the Herald and donate the money to charity.

I still maintain that Walsh was never Tomase's source and Tomase never really had a source. I think he heard the rumors of Walsh videotaping the walkthrough and after the NYT and ESPN piece outing Walsh that he decided to run with the rumor citing an unnamed source.

I agree with you!! Tomase never had anything but rumors.
From a PR perspective the Herald had to say something but this Patriot fan will never forget and will never buy their product again. If you feel the same way DO NOT view their on-line site. These papers make a profit on those websites. In fact that's going to be the wave of the future as papers in print eventually become soley papers on the net.
DON'T buy the Herald and DON'T view their site.
Btw I predict all kinds of mediot love will flow the Herald's way as they're complimented for their courage with this apology. :rolleyes:
Just laugh!

I still maintain that Walsh was never Tomase's source and Tomase never really had a source. I think he heard the rumors of Walsh videotaping the walkthrough and after the NYT and ESPN piece outing Walsh that he decided to run with the rumor citing an unnamed source.

Yep. He heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy who says he knows Matt Walsh and that Walsh says he did it and has the tape.

He treid to confrim it with Walsh but couldn't get confirmation or denial. When ESPN and the Times publicly identified Walsh, Tomase and his editors saw their dreams of breaking this story, becoming famous investigative journalists, the movie deal, the book deal, etc. going up in smoke when they get beat to the story. So they ran what they had - essentially a rumor of a rumor.

What took them so long? What were they hoping for? A smoking gun to come out yesterday that would vindicate them? Herald continues to be news source non grata to me, along with ExtraSh1ttyPhvckingNetwork

This just pisses me off even more.

The Herald should reveal what it's source was for this story.

The Herald Issuies a aplogy, oh and Bill Belichick and Robert Kraft apoligized.. So why cant espn, the times, or daily news, or peter king , issuie one.. Because they are too proud..

Any editor that runs a story with no source or proof should immediately be shown the door as well.

For my part I apologize in advance for starting a damaging rumor about the Herald just before they are sold or face some other pivitol moment in which a damning story is going to cause them harm

So I guess they want forgiveness.

OK. I forgive.

I will never forget.

(OK, ownership change, etc., will wipe the slate clean.)

What happened to the days when boston media sources were biased TOWARDS the home team?

I stated exactly your sentiments immediately following the publication of the Herald article and received quite a few replies saying the home town papers have no obligation to support the home team.

I personally believe that is an outright STUPID statement. Of course Boston papers have an obligation to be Patriots fans...that's who's buying their papers. Then some say "well, they're supposed to be impartial. To which I say "Oh, really? Like the Herald?"

I can say one thing for certain, a home town paper's job is NEVER to to side AGAINST the home team...never, never, EVER! And I believe that is what the Herald did.

Saying that the business of newspapers is to sell papers is like saying the business of the U.S. Government is BUSINESS! They have moral obligations first. If they do not operate under these obligations, they will fail...

MY POINT HAS BEEN PROVEN!

Last edited:

That is still more then I have ever seen a newspaper do, especially if it going to be a full back page retraction. Seriously, what else could they do?

Hide from us the fact that they published rumor.

I always believed that they actually had a source who was leading them astray.

It turns out that they knew they were speaking to someone with absolutely no direct involvement.

I'm glad they did this instead of waiting for the lawsuit.

I would rather see this end.

Is there any way the Herald could apologize that would make you guys happy? I don't really understand the picture, though. "SORRY BTW LOL REMEMBER THIS THING U DONT HAVE"

As I said, the apology makes things worse.

Put it this way. Imagine your boss thinks you screwed up an account because you showed up late to a meeting because you were caught in a traffic jam.

The next day, you walk in and say, I truly apologize boss. I spent too much time at a strip bar and had one too many gin and tonics.

Do you think your boss will be more ticked, or less ticked, than he was before you walked into the room?

Damage has already been done. This is meaningless...it's plain garbage. Stuff your apology up your ................

You contributed to ruining the greatest and most important game for any team in any sport in the history of professional sports (YOUR OWN HOME TEAM .....TOO BOOT). To this day. Sorry, this just doesn't cut it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope there is a lwasuit in this case and the real facts come out so all can here them.

One: taping is only illegal from certain areas of the field. Is Walsh tape even illegal?

two: When did the law even go into effect. Is it the memo change time hmmmmmm Wouldn't this make Walsh's tapes irrelevant anyhow.

three: How about the league saying o.k. to the use of film by the Dolphins.

four: How about all the other cases of taping not pursued during this time period.

five: The legal technicality of Belicheck's interpretation technically is right.

It's time the Pats spoke up ,and were allowed to defend themselves by the league. in a court of law would be the perfect place.

Maybe then all those who are speaking will shut up because they will see exactly why nothing else is being done. Then instead of the Herald being sued it would be the entire NFL.

This is tantamont to prining a story the day before an election that one of the candidates is a child molestor, and then saying "we're sorry, we had no proof of that and shouldn't have printed it, when we did", it really does the candidates no good since he has already lost.

The Herald basically just admitted that they made this story up, the only reason they issued such an outright apoplogy, must have been on advice from their lawyers.

I hope there is a lwasuit in this case and the real facts come out so all can here them.

One: taping is only illegal from certain areas of the field. Is Walsh tape even illegal?

two: When did the law even go into effect. Is it the memo change time hmmmmmm Wouldn't this make Walsh's tapes irrelevant anyhow.

three: How about the league saying o.k. to the use of film by the Dolphins.

four: How about all the other cases of taping not pursued during this time period.

five: The legal technicality of Belicheck's interpretation technically is right.

It's time the Pats spoke up ,and were allowed to defend themselves by the league. in a court of law would be the perfect place.

Maybe then all those who are speaking will shut up because they will see exactly why nothing else is being done. Then instead of the Herald being sued it would be the entire NFL.

As I've said before, the Pats aren't going to sue the Herald; they just want this to go away. The issuance of the apology tells me the Herald knows they aren't getting sued either (your lawyers would never let you admit liability for something you might be sued for). I would not be surprised if the Herald called the Pats before publishing this and offered to do it with the understanding (or even agreement) of the Pats that they would not be sued over the story. Now we just wait and see what happens with Tomase (a quiet reassignment to another team is my bet).

In Boston? Have you ever read past articles from Dan Shaughnessy, Bob Ryan, Michael Felger, or Ron Borges?

Quoted for truth.

Also, the Herald can kiss goodbye any exclusive interviews and reports from the Pats from now on...at least as long as the Krafts own the team (which is going to be for a very very long time). So, the Glob (not a typo) owns the Red Sox (literally) and basically has exclusive coverage of the Pats.

Last edited:
The Herald needed a retraction of the original story along with the apology. The fact that Tomase wrote an article in the paper on the day the apology ran adds to the insincerity . I'm officially done with the Herald. I read it on the commuter boat because of it's size but this was too little too late . See ya Herald.

As a reporter elsewhere, I believe the Herald either has to name the sources for lying to the paper or discipline Tomase for not communicating properly with the sources or with editors. Or discipline the editors involved.

When you agree to hold someone's name back, you do it even if you go to jail. But all bets are off if they lie. If the sources weren't sure of the info talking to Tomase, they should have told him or he should have understood the gray area and conveyed that to editors. If you're going to use unnamed sources, you better realize as a reporter that their extent of knowledge and your deal about holding the name back is very, very well understood. If editors knew there was no confirmation, then the editor who made the call probaby should be fired.

But somebody lied. That person needs to be outed or fired.

You keep an identity private because you gave your word and won't betray trust. If the source betrays you, you don't have that obligation anymore.

Side issue: a few on here are seizing on the change from a single source in the story to sources (plural) in the apology. On a story like this, The Herald likely talked to several people with varying degrees of knowledge (misinformation) about the situation. Somebody was the primary source telling them that the tape existed. But there may ne a number of partial confirming sources that gave info that fit the story. Someone (THE source) may have told Tomase there was a tape. Then a second person may have said...as a guess...he heard coaches talking about the tape, or a Patriots lawyer talking aboiut the tape or something like that. The second source adds credence to it but isn't strong enough to rely on.

There's also a real chance that the sources were honest about things they had misinformation about and Tomase was honest with editors and then editors made the call that a very gray and sketchy thing was good enough to run with. It's not as if Tomase has a long resume and has worked at a lot of high level papers to have a base of experience in situations like this to draw upon. Typically editors are more experienced than reporters and should be good guides. If an editor told him what to do, he'd probably go along. It takes a ton of balls and ego to tell the editor (your employer) that you're right and he's wrong and either refuse to do the story or insist your byline be pulled from it.

If that was the case, though, name the editors that made that call.

I agree with your assessment, but the powers that be at the Herald apparently lack the integrity or common sense to follow through. Beyond that it's a question of outside pressure motivating them to respond more appropriately, and there's no telling how that might occur, or from whom (lawsuit? marketplace?). But no matter what it's unfathomable that Tomase could continue reporting on the Patriots ESPECIALLY in light of the apology printed today, however perfunctory it appears to be. If he remains on the Patriots beat after this debacle that paper is worse than a joke and can never be trusted or taken seriously going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes