PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Henry Melton from texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats_ftw!!1!

Rookie
Reaction score
Anyone heard of him, former rb for texas at 6'3" 270 (was moved to DE), wasnt invited to the combine, but had a great pro day at texas. seems like an intriguing prospect raw but very athletic and massive, possible olb material? what do you guys think.

From nfldraftscout.com

" The 6-3, 269-pound Melton clocked in the 4.5 range in the 40-yard dash at the UT bubble,His 40 time followed a vertical leap of 34 1/2 inches earlier in the day, which was better than wideout Quan Cosby’s best effort of 33 inches. Melton added a solid 23 repetitions in the 225-pound bench press. On day when teammate Aaron Lewis was limited after he tweaked his hamstring, Melton did everything right, competing in every drill and improving his draft prospects in front of 60 NFL scouts. After registering 19 solo tackles and 4 sacks in his only season as a starter, Melton wasn’t thought to be a sure-fire draft prospect. That may have changed after Wednesday’s workout. “(The scouts) got to see the awesome athleticism they didn’t know I had,” Melton said.

03/25/09 - Texas Pro day: DE Henry Melton (6-3 1/2, 269) ran a 4.64 and 4.66 in the 40-yard dash, posted a 34.5-inch vertical jump and 10-foot, 1-inch broad jump. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

The Pats held a Private Workout with him.

The Pats held a Private Workout with him.

Interesting.

I'm guessing at this point he probably grades out as a UDFA, but could we take a late round flyer on him?

Interesting.

I'm guessing at this point he probably grades out as a UDFA, but could we take a late round flyer on him?
First identify what role(s) you see him filling. Once that is determined, assess his value compared to the current roster and similar players you are considering for those roles. At this point he's arguably an OLB, but as a former RB he might work well as an ILB, you could also see him as a FB and on Special Teams.

It's hard to say he's a better value than Woods, Crable, Redd, Banta-Cain, and Craig, but as a UDFA he might be a good candidate to develop on the Practice Squad. Is he worth a 7th? I'd probably use that 7th on another position, such as OL or DL or WR - also candidates for the Practice Squad - but at positions where I don't like the lack of youth on the roster.

I've been lurking around for a while, just soaking in the draft talk. I love how most of the people here think much along the same lines I do--only they articulate themselves far better. Anyway, I thought I would finally make an account and join the discussion.

This thread caught my eye for several reasons. First of all, I love researching potential sleepers. Melton in particular has been on my radar since his pro day. I saw a brief clip of him in running through drills during an NFL.com discussion of the Texas pro day, and so I looked into his history, and discovered that he used to be a running back. I even managed to unearth some impressive footage of him in high school. I can't post the link, apparently, since I don't have enough posts, but if you google Henry Melton rivals video, you should find some clips. Sure, it's only high school, but look at his footwork, balance, and body control. That's rare in a guy that size.

Second, I think that BB has been fascinated by the idea of a bigger back for a while now. Rumor has it that he was extremely impressed the first time he saw Brandon Jacobs in action. A guy with size, power, speed, and a little bit of niftiness can be a huge asset, especially as we continue to see an evolution of the game.

Consider: most teams are moving toward small, faster defenders who excel in coverage (cf. the Colts). Three down linebackers, for example, are now at a premium. BB recently talked about safeties becoming more coverage-oriented; gone is the day of the big in the box guy who will take your head off (sadly). So how do you combat good pass coverage? With a power running game, of course. Image our big formation, with Hochstein as the fullback, and Melton as the tailback. :D

Third, the Patriots value versatility, and Melton can play FB, RB and DE for sure, but he also has linebacker potential. I actually think he would offer more upside at SILB than OLB, given his background as a running back. They're similar positions, really, requiring good vision, speed to hit the hole, and the power to run through people. Also, as a DE, he's learned how to hand-fight and take on blockers, which is another plus for a SAM. If Melton was clocked in the mid 4.5s at his size, and displays good balance and change of direction ability, then I see no reason why we can't at least try him out, even if he turns into a perennial third-stringer.

I had more points, but I think I'll stop. I'm way too obsessed with the draft if I can churn out a lengthy write-up about a guy who's projected to go round six at the very highest, and in all likelihood will be an undrafted free agent. Time to go do something productive!

I've been lurking around for a while, just soaking in the draft talk. I love how most of the people here think much along the same lines I do--only they articulate themselves far better. Anyway, I thought I would finally make an account and join the discussion.

This thread caught my eye for several reasons. First of all, I love researching potential sleepers. Melton in particular has been on my radar since his pro day. I saw a brief clip of him in running through drills during an NFL.com discussion of the Texas pro day, and so I looked into his history, and discovered that he used to be a running back. I even managed to unearth some impressive footage of him in high school. I can't post the link, apparently, since I don't have enough posts, but if you google Henry Melton rivals video, you should find some clips. Sure, it's only high school, but look at his footwork, balance, and body control. That's rare in a guy that size.

Second, I think that BB has been fascinated by the idea of a bigger back for a while now. Rumor has it that he was extremely impressed the first time he saw Brandon Jacobs in action. A guy with size, power, speed, and a little bit of niftiness can be a huge asset, especially as we continue to see an evolution of the game.

Consider: most teams are moving toward small, faster defenders who excel in coverage (cf. the Colts). Three down linebackers, for example, are now at a premium. BB recently talked about safeties becoming more coverage-oriented; gone is the day of the big in the box guy who will take your head off (sadly). So how do you combat good pass coverage? With a power running game, of course. Image our big formation, with Hochstein as the fullback, and Melton as the tailback. :D

Third, the Patriots value versatility, and Melton can play FB, RB and DE for sure, but he also has linebacker potential. I actually think he would offer more upside at SILB than OLB, given his background as a running back. They're similar positions, really, requiring good vision, speed to hit the hole, and the power to run through people. Also, as a DE, he's learned how to hand-fight and take on blockers, which is another plus for a SAM. If Melton was clocked in the mid 4.5s at his size, and displays good balance and change of direction ability, then I see no reason why we can't at least try him out, even if he turns into a perennial third-stringer.

I had more points, but I think I'll stop. I'm way too obsessed with the draft if I can churn out a lengthy write-up about a guy who's projected to go round six at the very highest, and in all likelihood will be an undrafted free agent. Time to go do something productive!
Some interesting thinking and about darned time you joined the fray. :D

The biggest use for a big back is on the goal line and Melton apparently was moved to DE because he was getting stuffed by little LBs.

:welcome:

Hey, thanks for the welcome!

I hadn't heard he was getting stuffed. That's slightly depressing. Where'd you find out that information? I'm hoping, deep down inside, that you're wrong, but I have to admit that it's unlikely we pick up a guy of Jacob's caliber at the end of the draft or in free agency. Ah well, one can dream. :)

Welcome to the board. Very intelligent post. I would tend to agree with you. What I saw of Melton this year impressed me. He has the same build and reminds me a little bit of Robert Ayers, who I like as an SILB conversion. It would be nice to try it with a 7th round/UDFA pick (who could probably spend a year developing on the practice squad) instead of using a high pick on a conversion project. I would keep an eye on him.

Hey, thanks for the welcome!

I hadn't heard he was getting stuffed. That's slightly depressing. Where'd you find out that information? I'm hoping, deep down inside, that you're wrong, but I have to admit that it's unlikely we pick up a guy of Jacob's caliber at the end of the draft or in free agency. Ah well, one can dream. :)
NFL Draft Scout had this tidbit in their news clips on Melton:
10/30/08 - Henry Melton's plan to be the next big running back at Texas ended two years ago on a fourth down against Texas A&M. When a smaller linebacker dropped the 275-pound fullback for no gain in the last regular season game of 2006, it was time to try something else. Melton, whose production had waned after he scored 10 touchdowns as a freshman in 2005 when Texas won the national championship, was moved to defensive end. The change took a long time to pay off, but with two sacks last week against Oklahoma State, Melton is emerging as a pass-rushing force to complement Brian Orakpo as the No. 1 Longhorns (8-0) get ready to play No. 6 Texas Tech (8-0) on Saturday night. "It's probably where he should have been the whole time," Texas coach Mack Brown said. Melton's uncle, former NFL defensive back Ray Crockett, had tried to tell everyone, Brown and Henry included, that his nephew's future was on the defensive line. Melton, however, wanted to run and score touchdowns. "He wanted to be Ricky Williams and I wanted him to be. We both worked at it really, really hard and for whatever reason it didn't work," Brown said. "Now, he's become a great player." - AP Sports

Well actually, if Clint Oldenberg was a fifth round pick...

In a draft where the Patriots knew he had almost no chance of making the roster, and weren't able to trade the pick away. . . . that doesn't mean much.

Sure it does.

There were still many players - who had a much better chance to make our roster - available after Oldenburg, who will go down as one of the most incomprehensibly awful draft picks in the absolutely worst draft of the Belichick era.

Just thinking about 2007 still pisses me off.

Sure it does.

There were still many players - who had a much better chance to make our roster - available after Oldenburg, who will go down as one of the most incomprehensibly awful draft picks in the absolutely worst draft of the Belichick era.

Just thinking about 2007 still pisses me off.

I don't understand picking UDFA types in the 5th round. Why bother? You can get them later if you're still interested.

It kind of makes me think they were trying to be too cute.

Being from Texas, I've seen a lot of Henry Melton. It was always awesome watching him as a 265 lb. fb running over defenders. When he was moved to the defensive side of the ball there was a learning curve for him, but the guy is an absolute freak of an athlete and if the Pats were to take a late round flyer on this guy I would be estatic. If he isn't drafted don't be suprised in three or four years of work with a team that this guy turns into a playmaker. Off topic, I know this is a Pats forum but does anybody remember a rb/ wr for the Longhorns named Ramonce Taylor? He got in some legal trouble by being an idiot, but if he hadn't there is no doubt in my mind that he would be an All Pro in the NFL.

I don't understand picking UDFA types in the 5th round. Why bother? You can get them later if you're still interested.

It kind of makes me think they were trying to be too cute.

Or too smart for their own good, as if they're always right and everyone else is wrong. Unfortunately, they got it bass-ackwards that year.

Being from Texas, I've seen a lot of Henry Melton. It was always awesome watching him as a 265 lb. fb running over defenders. When he was moved to the defensive side of the ball there was a learning curve for him, but the guy is an absolute freak of an athlete and if the Pats were to take a late round flyer on this guy I would be estatic. If he isn't drafted don't be suprised in three or four years of work with a team that this guy turns into a playmaker.

So he didn't get stuffed easily? Or was that only when he built up momentum? I'm so confused! If you can offer some insight into his running ability, I'd really appreciate the help. I can't really find much tape of Melton, and it's making for some difficult (armchair) scouting. I really want to use one of our last two comp picks on him, though, because he intrigues me mightily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes