Welcome to PatsFans.com

Helpful tips on buying a Mac

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by fleabassist1, Jan 16, 2008.

1. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Okay so I am REALLY bored right now... and seeing as how Macworld 08' just finished it's first day, I thought it would be nice to offer some quick tips to everyone here on purchasing a new Macintosh Computer. I will offer some advice to people who may not know to much about mac.

Things to consider:
    - The biggest draw for people who are curious about Macs is the simple fact that they do not have virus's, Trojans, spy ware, etc. The encoding on the computers is Unix based, as opposed to Dos based. Technical stuff I don't feel like getting into :)
    - When purchasing a Mac, think about really what your going to be doing with it. Let's look at the notebooks first.
    Macbook Pro
    If you plan on doing any gaming, graphic design, advanced video editing, IT, and things like that you may want to look at a Macbook Pro. They have a designated graphics card with their own ram built right in - a larger display (I recommend Matte screen - it provides a much truer color)
    Macbook
    If you just want to browse the internet, edit/view photos, video edit, spreadsheets, things of that nature - then a Macbook would be great. Starting at just 1099, they are MUCH more affordable then the Pro lineup. Keep in mind however that you will have to take a step up to the 1299 model to get a superdrive which will allow you to burn onto DVD's.
    Macbook Air
    Now, I have not had to much time to play with these guys yet. I set a few up in the store tonight and they are awesome - but to me they seem a little expensive for what they have. I would recommend this machine to someone who is very into technology and does not mind doing things wireless - or perhaps a business person on the go.

So now lets take a brief look at the Desktop Macs.
    iMac
    The iMac is one of the coolest machines on the market today. The all in one design makes life easy. No more need for a tower with these bad boys. The iMac comes in a few different makes and models. I would say schedule a Personal shopping appointment from www.apple.com/retail to your local apple store to discuss the best iMac for you.

Mac Pro
    The most powerful computer on the market today. The Mac Pro can be upgraded to almost impossible size. 32gb of RAM?! That is NUTS. These guys are very expensive - and downright amazing. Only very experienced Mac users should be considering this computer - or people with a lot of money to blow.

Apple Services
    There are four major apple services. I will go over briefly what they do for you.
    .Mac
    .Mac is a great service. This really needs to be demonstrated for it to really sync in. The biggest draw is 10gb online storage where you can place anything you want. If you have multiple macs you can use Back to my Mac... a feature that allows you to access and control your computer from anywhere. It's a yearly subscription - but only at 99$ its DEFINITELY worth it.

Applecare
    Applecare is a must have. It's the extended warranty. For new and experienced mac users, I always recommend this. Price differs per mac. Most expensive (and most necessary) on notebooks.

Procare
    This guy is the extension on Applecare. I think that this service is great for everyone - but it's up to you if you get it or not. 99$ gives you a yearly tuneup for your computer, a complete setup (Transfer all files from your existing PC or Mac and move them (and put them where they go!) on the new mac.), and it speeds up all services. If you need to take advantage of the applecare (which we try to avoid :X!) then your put in the front of the line with no need for an appointment with Procare.

One - 2 - One
    121 is awesome for new guys. It's 52 - one hour - lessons for (you guessed it) 99$. That averages out to about $1.85 a lesson for computer training. It's normally 99$ an hour for computer training. They will teach you at your pace, your schedule. We can also recommend a schedule. Oh, and BTW - don't worry about getting the new guy when you get to your lesson - All "Creative's" are certified in every program / lesson they teach.

So that's about it. If you have any questions or want some extended advice on a certain topic, please feel free to ask!

:rocker:
  2. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I remember when laptops were Apple Powerbook or Wintel Notebook. Then they came out with the iBook and later the Macbook but, to this day I can't refer to an Apple laptop as a "notebook." I'm not saying it's wrong it's just if your old school Mac it's ingrained. Actually they stopped referring to them as laptops too. Probably because of the heat. They call them mobile computers now. :rolleyes:

I have to say I have a Macbook Pro with the glossy screen and I would recommend that. The color is fine and the blacks are much blacker. I was hesitant when I first heard of the glossy screens ( I had Powerbook DVI at the time) but, as soon as I saw it I was sold.

One thing I might add to your advice is don't buy your RAM from Apple. Even when I worked for Apple I steered people to on-line memory sites such as crucial.com. Apple has always charged way too much for RAM. I use to think it was just that they didn't really want to be selling RAM but after all this time I guess they just like the margins. ;)
  3. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Yes I can definitely agree on the Ram. Always purchase your RAM elsewhere and install it yourself. It doesn't void your warranty and is very easy to do. Search in google for "DYI Ram Install _____" where the ____ is the computer you purchased.

As far as Glossy vs Matte... I prefer the Matte every time. The glossy tends to make the colors much more vibrant and colorful. When you open up a photo or a video on a Glossy screen you are not looking at the final result. When you have a Matte screen - thats what the prints will look like. I can see how some people would like the glossy however, It's great for people who are not big into making prints or sending away what they are doing... for instance, if your using your computer for IT purposes, it would be more beneficial to go with Glossy.
  4. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

What is the top of the line Mac (powermac?) for art and music production?
  5. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Funny you should say that because I've been a professional desktop publisher for over 20 years specializing in large format signs and trade show graphics. And I have never seen any computer monitor calibrated or not give you a true representation of what will print. If you're a real professional it has to be done by the numbers. I could color correct an image on a grayscale monitor if I had to. Just my professional opinion.
  6. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

It's all on Apple.com the Mac Pro is the top of the line.
  7. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Mac Pro. The new ones are great.
    That's pretty interesting... I have heard people who are of that opinion - but I myself have experienced the exact opposite. I have not personally done very many prints - but I know some people who have been in the business about as long as you - and most of everyone I talk to feels that the Matte screen gives you the picture your looking for. Maybe somethings in the water here :O
  8. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Ibm Thinkpad laptop , Titanium Case all the way baby , with ( Xp pro).

I am a satisfied customer , and my next buy will be another IBM/Lenovo for my son .

Strong like a rock.
  9. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Good luck with that one :bricks:

Stop by your local apple store - tell them your going to buy an IBM but you want to see a demonstration with an Apple... and ask them why you should buy one. I think you will be surprised.
  10. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

My Powerbook was Titanium. Meh. So how come no Vista?
  11. fnordcircle

fnordcircle ( o Y o ) PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +177 / 5 / -12

I'd buy a Mac if I was positive that even half of the games I'd want to run on it would run. The price hardly seems worth it when it is still a pain in the ass to get a game that has been around for nearly 5 years to run on it like EVE.
  12. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Eve online DOES run on Mac. You can do it one of two ways.

1.) Purchase the mac version of it.
    2.) Install windows on your machine.

:)
  13. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Uhm, Macs use Intel chips and boot OS X and Windows. I just booted out of XP where I was playing Company of Heroes on line. The only thing Windows is good for IMO is games. But, I'd buy a PS3 before I bought a PC for gaming.
  14. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

15. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -0

Nothing beats my Commodore Vic 20... especially now that I've upgraded it from 8 bits to 16 bits.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2008