PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Help me with the Chandler Jones love

Status
Not open for further replies.
NFL body. Long arms. Versatility. He will go well above where the Pats are picking, so the haters don't have to worry.

I hope I did not come off as a hater, I honestly cannot get a read on this guy. Mayock and McShay both say he is this elite pass rusher and I have watched almost 7 full games (couldn't sleep, this is like christmas in spring) now of his and I still see the exact same things I mentioned in my OP.

I am no expert at watching tape and this year is the first time I have been able to watch and rewatch full games, not just youtube and other highlight videos, but as Parcells said the other night, trust what you see, not what you hear. I do not see elite pass rush.

I sense a lot of disinformation from a lot of teams who are using all these draft analysts to promote the idea that he's a top 12 talent. Best defensive talent in 3 years according to Mayock? The guy couldn't dominate Big East competition.

I'm a Vermonter. I reside in moose territory. When Jones chases after ball carriers...well...the moose is crossing the road...

Hope this helps...

I think there is some confusion on this guy. People look at his weight and see him as an OLB. In my view, he is a power player who can beef up to 285 and be a dominant 3-4 DE.

For those complaining about no pass rush, I'm seeing him consistently drive the OT into the pocket. You know, like what Richard Seymour used to do.

Last edited:
I think there is some confusion on this guy. People look at his weight and see him as an OLB. In my view, he is a power player who can beef up to 285 and be a dominant 3-4 DE.
With those chicken legs?

For those complaining about no pass rush, I'm seeing him consistently drive the OT into the pocket. You know, like what Richard Seymour used to do.
Don't even try to go there. Richard Seymour was a 6'-6" collegiate prospect weighing 299 pounds from the University of Georgia.

Richard Seymour | Georgia, DT : 2001 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Chandler Jones stands 6'-5" and weighs only 266 pounds from Syracuse University. Besides what is so great about the Big Least Conference?

I had him on my pre-season watch list because of his size and watched a few games of his during the college season and came away with one thought-ehhhh:confused2:

Then, about a week or 2 ago, his name started popping up everywhere as "the" guy that was rocketing up boards, so I went back and watched again, and I have to say, I still am not sure I get the hype.

Here is what I came away with:
Positives: Freakish size, with long arms and legs. Ht. WT. Spd that the Patriots seem to covet. Shows some upper body strength and uses his hands reasonably well. Plays past the whistle and consistently is down field to assist on plays that have gone away from his side. Has some raw pass rush ability. Seems to set the edge well and is a good run stopper.

Negatives: I do not see the burst needed to be an elite pass rusher. Always seems to be a split second slow off the snap. Is not as fast as his timed speed. Pass rush moves are very limited. Legs are awfully skinny(crable esc?) Not sure he can drop into coverage to play the 3-4 OLB and not sure he has the lower body strength to play the 5-tech on the line. See him more as a pure 4-3 DE (which the Patriots do play a lot of) but I just do not see the fit for the pats scheme.

What am I missing here? I am hearing he could go top 10 now and go ahead of Coples.

The tape I watched of him was very "meh".

I think people look at his height/weight/arm length and start viewing him through different glasses, people are obsessed with suits and he seems to fit the suit of a top OLB, the problem is that he doesn't seem to be able to wear the suit.

I really hope some dumb team can't take off their glasses and move up to overpay for him. I'd much prefer Cam Johnson, who is very solid in coverage and against the run, and seems to have the raw ability to develop as a pass rusher.

Last edited:
With those chicken legs?

Don't even try to go there. Richard Seymour was a 6'-6" collegiate prospect weighing 299 pounds from the University of Georgia.

Richard Seymour*|*Georgia,*DT*:*2001 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Chandler Jones stands 6'-5" and weighs only 266 pounds from Syracuse University. Besides what is so great about the Big Least Conference?

Jones looks powerful to me. I realize he weighs less than Seymour. I also realize that 21 year olds can easily put on 20 pounds under an NFL strength training regimen. With his power and long arms he would be a handful at 6'5" 285. If the Pats are interested in him, I am sure it is as a 3-4 DE and not as an OLB.

Could you please show me the last 6' tall OLB that Belichick has used in his 3-4 defense?

Perhaps as a safety? He's not much bigger than Rodney was. This guy just looks like such a good player that it is tempting to say BB will find a way to use him (big nickel?). That being said, I don't think BB will use a 1st on a conversion project.

A power player who benched a whopping 22 reps at the combine, and who didn't even bother
to attempt to better that "performance" at his pro day?

Could you please show me the last 6' tall OLB that Belichick has used in his 3-4 defense?

What's the 3-4 defense got to do with anything. There's been nothing concrete saying we're going back to it and it would be our least used scheme anyway.

A power player who benched a whopping 22 reps at the combine, and who didn't even bother
to attempt to better that "performance" at his pro day?

LOL. That's exactly 4 more than the great Richard Seymour put up at his combine. Bench press is a skill, and one that can much more easily be mastered by those with short arms. It has little to do with functional football strength.

Against Big Least Conference competition.

You keep making this comment and it sounds stoopider and stoopider each time. Have you heard of Jerry Rice? Walter Payton? Countless other hall of famers that came from conferences far worse than the Big East? The Big East is not the SEC but didn't WVU beat the ACC's best by about 40 in the Orange Bowl last year?

It's come very late in the process, but I'm actually starting to get a bit excited about Chandler Jones. He's a project for sure, but everything can be coached. Length however can't.

I wonder if he could develop into a Justin Smith type player. Similar combines (although Jones is slower) and Smith was only 267 lbs out of Missouri.

He's a project for sure, but everything can be coached. Length however can't

No, not everything can be coached, far from it, if that was the case you wouldnt see so many washouts in the league. Also, feel free to look up how many players with elite length have never amounted to anything.

Reaction time combined with explosiveness, "Launch" as Grid would say, is one of THE most critical attributes in a player, if Jones doesnt have that he'll stink. If a player has "length" in addition to that, great, without it he can have arms like a Gibbon and it won't matter.

You keep making this comment and it sounds stoopider and stoopider each time.
All of a sudden in the last two weeks prior to the 2012 NFL Draft, Chandler Jones is now graded a first round talent by some analysts.

Have you heard of Jerry Rice? Walter Payton?
Jerry Rice and Walter Payton produced in college. Where is this phenomenal collegiate production from Chandler Jones?

Countless other hall of famers that came from conferences far worse than the Big East?
How many prospective NFL offensive tackles did Chandler Jones face this past season?

No, not everything can be coached, far from it, if that was the case you wouldnt see so many washouts in the league. Also, feel free to look up how many players with elite length have never amounted to anything.

Reaction time combined with explosiveness, "Launch" as Grid would say, is one of THE most critical attributes in a player, if Jones doesnt have that he'll stink. If a player has "length" in addition to that, great, without it he can have arms like a Gibbon and it won't matter.

Unless it's a physical limitation, of course "everything" can be coached. Doesn't necessarily mean the coaching always sticks or works however.

Unless it's a physical limitation, of course "everything" can be coached. Doesn't necessarily mean the coaching always sticks or works however.

You didnt initially make that condition, but that said, how is his explosivness? I saw a guy that was very underwhelming in getting off the snap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots