PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Help me! Scandals causing depression (not in a clinical way)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Calhoun

On the Roster
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm not a big poster on this board, although I look forward to reading it daily. Today I felt an urge to put my situation out there and see how others are dealing with it as I'm sure I am not alone. The Rodney Harrison HGH/Spygate situations have left me very down. Rodney was one of my favorite NFL players when he played in San Diego and I was ecstatic when we were able to acquire him. After seeing him play only a few games for us, my admiration and respect for him grew immensely. Those feelings grew the more I watched him play. My heart broke as he suffered major injury after major injury but I was not shocked to see him bust his butt to get back on the field. I was very excited to see him stay healthy and have possibly one more monster year for us this year. So when the HGH story broke, I couldn't believe it. Don't get me wrong. I am not naive enough to think that this stuff doesn't happen throughout the league, but I guess I just held Rodney to a higher standard. Although upset and disappointed, I was able to wrap my brain around this enough to come to the understanding that he made a very wrong decision and that he, like many other NFL players, deserved the opportunity to 'serve his time' and move on.
Then, on the heals of that, this spygate story breaks and I'm like the boxer who just got back on his feet after being Peter McNeeley'd and I'm taking a Mike Tyson upper cut that seems impossible to recover from. This has seriously impacted my ability to fully enjoy what has the potential of being a historic Patriots season. What I am asking for in this post is...how can I not let this happen? I know that the Patriots are not the only team that practices these tactics. I know that what they really gained from them is very little and possibly even nothing. However, one of the things that I've really enjoyed in the past seven seasons is reading, listening and watching everything Patriots. To do this now is only deepening the depression. Will I be able to enjoy this machine that is the 2007 New England Patriots? God, I hope so! Thoughts?

Re: Help me!-Scandals causing depression (not in a clinical way)!

I hear ya, Don. Not sure if I have much advice, just want to commiserate. Every morning I wake up and hope that there won't be any headlines about HGH or Spygate, and every day I am let down. The only thing I can suggest is don't read anything during the week and just watch the game, which for the last two weeks has been a thing of beauty. Hopefully these things will fade from the headlines in the next few weeks and we can be left with just good feelings for the season. We need Peyton Manning to be caught in a hotel with a hooker or something good like that to get the media whores to go chase someone else! Looks like the Pats plan to hire OJ to get the spotlight off them didn't go far enough! ;)

I hear ya, Don. Not sure if I have much advice, just want to commiserate. Every morning I wake up and hope that there won't be any headlines about HGH or Spygate, and every day I am let down. The only thing I can suggest is don't read anything during the week and just watch the game, which for the last two weeks has been a thing of beauty. Hopefully these things will fade from the headlines in the next few weeks and we can be left with just good feelings for the season. We need Peyton Manning to be caught in a hotel with a hooker or something good like that to get the media whores to go chase someone else! Looks like the Pats plan to hire OJ to get the spotlight off them didn't go far enough! ;)

Peyton?.....Hooker?......Nooo! LMAO!

All teams "cheat" and probably a lot of players do too, but some get caught. It's part of the game. If a coach teaches a CB to get pass interference if it's the only way to prevent a TD, isn't that cheating? Teams regularly try to discretely induce their opponent offsides. Isn't that cheating, too? As someone pointed out the other day, right after Buffalo TE Kevin Everett was nearly killed on a legal play, the players went right back at it trying to hurt each other. That may not be cheating, but let's face, football is not a gentle sport. What BB did was simply to push the envelope. What he could not have known is how out of proportion the reaction would be compared to the benefit of videotaping. (Jimmy Johnson said he tried videotaping years ago, but didn't think it was worth the effort; he also said, he would send an intern into the opposing team's locker room to look through the trash and get any notes or game plans that were left behind.)

My view is that this scandal benefits the Patriots, beause they thrive in an us versus them environment. It makes us look no worse than the tuck rule did, then the snowplow did years ago, then the accusations that our CBs cheated did, but like those things it is fodder for the opposing fans, nothing more.

Peyton?.....Hooker?......Nooo! LMAO!

Maybe BB can get Lawrence Taylor to set him up!

Oh, and I forgot to mention.....the Red Sox are NOT helping my depression!

Oh, and I forgot to mention.....the Red Sox are NOT helping my depression!

Don't even go there. My husband is from NY and is a Yankee fan. Need I say more?

simple solution, embrace the negativity. Heck the Raiders have made a 3 decade fest out of it. People want to hate the team and us as fans and I say enjoy it. Heck, let's do what our WR did a few years ago, turn around, pretend to drop trou, and moon 'em (of course Joe Buck will have a fit).

Seriously, don't use the NFL as any kind of moral compass, this is a brutal league that has always had a very dark side.

Last edited:

All teams "cheat" and probably a lot of players do too, but some get caught. It's part of the game. If a coach teaches a CB to get pass interference if it's the only way to prevent a TD, isn't that cheating? Teams regularly try to discretely induce their opponent offsides. Isn't that cheating, too? As someone pointed out the other day, right after Buffalo TE Kevin Everett was nearly killed on a legal play, the players went right back at it trying to hurt each other. That may not be cheating, but let's face, football is not a gentle sport. What BB did was simply to push the envelope. What he could not have known is how out of proportion the reaction would be compared to the benefit of videotaping. (Jimmy Johnson said he tried videotaping years ago, but didn't think it was worth the effort; he also said, he would send an intern into the opposing team's locker room to look through the trash and get any notes or game plans that were left behind.)

My view is that this scandal benefits the Patriots, beause they thrive in an us versus them environment. It makes us look no worse than the tuck rule did, then the snowplow did years ago, then the accusations that our CBs cheated did, but like those things it is fodder for the opposing fans, nothing more.

Good points. All things fade with time. At the time you're experencing it though, it feels like it never will.

simple solution, embrace the negativity. Heck the Raiders have made a 3 decade fest out of it. People want to hate the team and us as fans and I say enjoy it. Heck, let's do what our WR did a few years ago, turn around, pretend to drop trou, and moon 'em (of course Joe Buck will have a fit).

Seriously, don't use the NFL as any kind of moral compass, this is a brutal league that has always had a very dark side.

I never understood the big bogus outrage over that move, which I thought was kind of funny, since it was common knowledge that those classy Packers fans did the real thing to opposing teams' buses on a regular basis. See, I knew I would like Randy Moss!

Hi,
I'm not a big poster on this board, although I look forward to reading it daily. Today I felt an urge to put my situation out there and see how others are dealing with it as I'm sure I am not alone. The Rodney Harrison HGH/Spygate situations have left me very down. Rodney was one of my favorite NFL players when he played in San Diego and I was ecstatic when we were able to acquire him. After seeing him play only a few games for us, my admiration and respect for him grew immensely. Those feelings grew the more I watched him play. My heart broke as he suffered major injury after major injury but I was not shocked to see him bust his butt to get back on the field. I was very excited to see him stay healthy and have possibly one more monster year for us this year. So when the HGH story broke, I couldn't believe it. Don't get me wrong. I am not naive enough to think that this stuff doesn't happen throughout the league, but I guess I just held Rodney to a higher standard. Although upset and disappointed, I was able to wrap my brain around this enough to come to the understanding that he made a very wrong decision and that he, like many other NFL players, deserved the opportunity to 'serve his time' and move on.
Then, on the heals of that, this spygate story breaks and I'm like the boxer who just got back on his feet after being Peter McNeeley'd and I'm taking a Mike Tyson upper cut that seems impossible to recover from. This has seriously impacted my ability to fully enjoy what has the potential of being a historic Patriots season. What I am asking for in this post is...how can I not let this happen? I know that the Patriots are not the only team that practices these tactics. I know that what they really gained from them is very little and possibly even nothing. However, one of the things that I've really enjoyed in the past seven seasons is reading, listening and watching everything Patriots. To do this now is only deepening the depression. Will I be able to enjoy this machine that is the 2007 New England Patriots? God, I hope so! Thoughts?

Well said, Don. I know where you're coming from.

What is more depressing is the hysterical, knee-jerk reactions of people on BOTH sides of the issue. The national piling on media who are incredibly twisting this story into something that it isn't AND some of the hysterical, knee-jerk Patriot fans who are still holding judging contests on "who is a real fan". If someone dare breathes that Belichick's hair looked unkempt on Sunday, they are immediately lambasted as Benedict Arnolds.

The past nine days have truly been a fascinating psychological case study.

DC,
Steel yourself to the media mob, open your mind to the reality behind the curtain of this brutal sport, a reality that has existed for 80 years, but which has avoided media scrutiny up until now. Even the most well furnished room has dirt in the corners or under the rug. The New England Patriots organization has had fewer arrests for actual crimes than any other in the NFL. The Players do active and sincere charity work. Every major dynasty in NFL history has faced backlash, often for incidents more disturbing than anything cited against the Pats. Rodney has admitted wrongdoing and asked for forgiveness from the public, more than I can recall any major athlete having done for a similar transgression in the past. This is our team, and in a sense, we are members of an extended family. When the world turns against your family, not for a criminal act, but for some ambiguous public embarrassment, and the press comes knocking at your door, do you crucify your own in the public eye? No. If he has a defense, you listen. If there was a rush to judgment, you slow it down. If there is a media frenzy, you stay calm. If they urge you to turn against him, you laugh in their face. So let's laugh in the face of this mob, and let Rodney and the Pats make their statements on the playing field. After all, it's only a game.

Last edited:

Try not to lose perspective that although we do tend to put these people up on pedestals they are still mortal human beings and not gods by any stretch of the imagination.

You may find a player, coach or owner of a team that you respect but always remember that even though they may excel in their chosen field or profession it does NOT mean that they have superior morals.

I was there in the early 90's during the Lisa Olsen scandal and remember the 1-15 season. I remember when the Patriots would play the Colts and I looked forward to those games as much as I do now for the entirely different reason which was the Colts seemed to be the only team we could beat!

As much as I love the Patriots they are like family to me and as family I have learned to love them unconditionally.

We have been treated to having what could arguably be the best team in all of sports, you as a fan just need to keep in mind the sage words of Sir Charles Barkley "I am not a role model".

Enjoy it for entertainment purposes only. ;)

DH,
Steel yourself to the media mob, open your mind to the reality behind the curtain of this brutal sport, a reality that has existed for 80 years, but which has avoided media scrutiny up until now. Even the most well furnished room has dirt in the corners or under the rug. The New England Patriots organization has had fewer arrests for actual crimes than any other in the NFL. The Players do active and sincere charity work. Every major dynasty in NFL history has faced backlash, often for incidents more disturbing than anything cited against the Pats. Rodney has admitted wrongdoing and asked for forgiveness from the public, more than I can recall any major athlete having done for a similar transgression in the past. This is our team, and in a sense, we are members of an extended family. When the world turns against your family, not for a criminal act, but for some ambiguous public embarrassment, and the press comes knocking at your door, do you crucify your own in the public eye? No. If he has a defense, you listen. If there was a rush to judgment, you slow it down. If there is a media frenzy, you stay calm. If they urge you to turn against him, you laugh in their face. So let's laugh in the face of this mob, and let Rodney and the Pats make their statements on the playing field. After all, it's only a game.

Thanks for the feedback...........is DH a typo for DC?

Here's what I've done - Take a deep breath and realize that all the media hysteria about a misplaced camera has overshadowed the players we are blessed to have here in NE. They are without doubt the best collection of dedicated, intelligent, professional football players, currently in the NFL. And they are gifted with an equally dedicated, intelligent, professional coaching and owner group. The recent rash of star players that have joined the Pats, giving up money in some cases, has sent a shiver down the spine of the collective NFL offices. Despite years of "Kraft is Cheap" rumors, the tide has turned and it's against the NFL parody policy.
I keep these thoughts in mind while enjoying the idea that even if the Pats were to give their playbook to the other coaches, they would still out-execute, and outplay their opponents and walk off the field winners in my eyes, regardless of the score.

Proud to be a homer!

DC,

Well said. The only thing I have to add is that it is the greatest game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back