PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Help for a Sunday Night Gillette Newbie, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwc

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Hey guys:

It looks like I'll have the good fortune to go to a great football game on Sunday night. But, I need to pick the brains of you grizzly old Gillette veterans on logistics. I know the night games are brutal for traffic, so I don't want to get caught out.

I'm open to any possibility. Coming from 495 or 95 or back roads from any direction. Don't need to tailgate. Just trying to get into and out of the game.

What's the least painful route into the stadium?

What's the least painful parking, both coming and going?

Realistically, when do I need to arrive and how much time do I need to allow from either 495 or 95.

Are there alternatives to driving? Shuttle buses from satellite lots, etc.?

Does the train stop anywhere between South Station and Gillette?

Thanks.

Last edited:
hwc said:
Hey guys:

It looks like I'll have the good fortune to go to a great football game on Sunday night. But, I need to pick the brains of you grizzly old Gillette veterans on logistics. I know the night games are brutal for traffic, so I don't want to get caught out.

I'm open to any possibility. Coming from 495 or 95 or back roads from any direction. Don't need to tailgate. Just trying to get into and out of the game.

Realistically, when do I need to arrive and how much time do I need to allow from either 495 or 95.

Does the train stop anywhere between South Station and Gillette?

Thanks.

Take 495 south to Route 1 north. Park in the first (private) lot immediately to your right after the Dunkin' Donuts/traffic cones. It's a small office park, good place to tailgate, $10 cheaper than the other lots, and you can zip out into traffic when you return after the game is over. It's about a mile walk to and from the stadium, but that's a minor inconvenience and goes quickly. Get there at least an hour before kickoff, and start walking to the stadium. Any later and you'll be waiting in line for quite a while outside the gates to get in.

hwc said:
Hey guys:

Thanks.
Well, i'll tell you my strategy but you might not like it. If I am interested in as quick an egress as possible, then what I do is take Rte. 495 to Rte. 1 and then park as far away from the stadium as possible. If you've passed the End Zone Motel, you're too close to the stadium for me. But those are only on days where I want to get away as fast as possible. Normally I park closer to the stadium and just plan on tailgating before and after the game.

No matter where you park, don't dilly-dally after the game. Once that clock shows 00:00 walk as briskly (or better yet, jog) as possible to the exit and to your car. And knock over as many Colts fans as you can if they get in your way. Don't stop to pee, buy a cheap pizza or rummage through your cooler looking for that 1 Coke you remembered to throw in there. Get in you car, head towards the exit and worry about those other things later once you get to the nearest highway.

I park in a Gillette Stadium lot near the stadium and on the wrong side of Rt. 1 (we need to head south) and I haven't had to wait more than 10 minutes (sometimes as little as 3-4 minutes) to get out of the lot and onto Rt. 1 and then a fairly steady drive right up to 495. If you screw around afterwards and b.s., have a snack or stand in line to take a leak before you leave, you'll be sitting in the infamous Gillette Stadium traffic for extended periods of time.

Thanks guys, keep it coming!

The early concensus seems to be that approaching from the south is the preferred route and book-it to the car at the closing whistle.

One other question? Has anyone taken the train from Norwood? Is there any chance of those trains being sold out?

I think the train is a definite possibility. Is Dedham or Norwood preferable? Parking around the train stations? Any restaurant options near either?

Whatever you do, make sure you are making as much noise as possible for the Colts offense.

sieglo said:
Whatever you do, make sure you are making as much noise as possible for the Colts offense.

Why? When I stood up and started yelling as loud as I could when Denver had the Ball everyone in my section looked at me like I was an idiot, while sitting nice and quiet in their seat. :cool:

hwc said:
I think the train is a definite possibility. Is Dedham or Norwood preferable? Parking around the train stations? Any restaurant options near either?

Park at Dedham and take the train.
It's right off 95 with plenty of free parking.
The downside is you miss the tailgating experience and don't have too much time to get to your seat if you are way up in the nosebleeds.
The upside is you don't pay $40 to park and get stuck getting out. The train is $8 ( a few years ago anyway) that is if they get around to collecting your money. You get a warm and comfortable ride and get to meet fellow Patriots fans. Just make sure you get on the Boston (northbound) train and not the Providence (southbound) train after the game.
Dedham is pretty much a business park, but you may be able to find a restaurant there.
Have fun. Make noise.

mgcolby said:
Why? When I stood up and started yelling as loud as I could when Denver had the Ball everyone in my section looked at me like I was an idiot, while sitting nice and quiet in their seat. :cool:

Where you in the club seats?
That's what it was like for me in 2002 when I sat there. Such a shame that such a great view of the field and action is wasted on those who are um, not so passionate. (Not all, but most)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes