Help finding a quote?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I remember reading a comment from Belichick after the draft, I think in reference to DL/OLB prospects, that there were guys they liked but the teams at that point in the draft weren't willing to trade. Now I can't find any reference to it.

Does this ring a bell for anybody else? Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

I remember reading a comment from Belichick after the draft, I think in reference to DL/OLB prospects, that there were guys they liked but the teams at that point in the draft weren't willing to trade. Now I can't find any reference to it.

Does this ring a bell for anybody else? Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

I feel like I remember hearing that as well. Are you sure it wasn't on one of the networks during the draft?

What you are looking for might be something I saw written in Pats Pulpit.
On OLBs and DEs in the draft:
"There were some players he had his eyes on, but the players were unavailable because the teams were unwilling to trade. (my thoughts: Aldon Smith)."
I don't have enough posts to create links but it can be found at Pats Pulpit under the title "2011 NFL Draft: Notes From Bill Belichick's Day Three Press Conference"

I believe they wrote this summary based on his day 3 press conference though in the press conference video and the transcript of it, this was never explicitly stated as far as I can tell.

p.s. I rarely post here but really appreciate all of the contributions you and others on this part of the message boards make. You give me a great deal of reading pleasure and food for thought. Thanks for all the posts you make here Patchick.

Last edited:
"There were some players he had his eyes on, but the players were unavailable because the teams were unwilling to trade. (my thoughts: Aldon Smith)."
I don't have enough posts to create links but it can be found at Pats Pulpit under the title "2011 NFL Draft: Notes From Bill Belichick's Day Three Press Conference"

I believe they wrote this summary based on his day 3 press conference though in the press conference video and the transcript of it, this was never explicitly stated as far as I can tell.

p.s. I rarely post here but really appreciate all of the contributions you and others on this part of the message boards make. You give me a great deal of reading pleasure and food for thought. Thanks for all the posts you make here Patchick.

Thanks for finding that! Here is the link to the column SBP is referring to:

2011 NFL Draft: Notes From Bill Belichick's Day Three Press Conference - Pats Pulpit

Below is a link to the transcript of Bill Belichick's press conference from after the first round.

Transcript: Bill Belichick Press Conference - Patriots.com

Will be very interesting if it was for Aldon, he was the one 3-4 OLB i wanted and was targeting at 17. He just seemed like a young kid with an absolute boatload of upside.

Will be very interesting if it was for Aldon, he was the one 3-4 OLB i wanted and was targeting at 17. He just seemed like a young kid with an absolute boatload of upside.

It's just enough to let everybody hold onto their binky dreams. :) Watt and Quinn fit the bill too, and I'm betting Watt.

Or maybe it's all just hogwash.

Last edited:
I'm betting BB is very happy getting Solder at #17 ....... The OL needs help and Solder and Cannon look like they are the future....

I'm sure the coulda...woulda...shoulda people will be /or are upset :rolleyes:

I'm betting BB is very happy getting Solder at #17 ....... The OL needs help and Solder and Cannon look like they are the future....

I'm sure the coulda...woulda...shoulda people will be /or are upset :rolleyes:

I'm fine with Solder, it's more a matter of trying to glean any possible sliver of insight into the Pats' actual player evaluations. Let's say that the Pats would have been interested in a small trade up from #17 IF a particular defensive player had been available. Wouldn't you love to know who?

It's just enough to let everybody hold onto their binky dreams. :) Watt and Quinn fit the bill too, and I'm betting Watt.

Or maybe it's all just hogwash.

For me not so much quinn but watt and aldon were my binki's. Your right it would be awesome to know how they were rated by the pats. Need some more draft footage from the war room from patriots all access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down