Welcome to PatsFans.com

Help Fight Breast Cancer

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by All_Around_Brown, Apr 28, 2007.

1. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Calling all believers...
    [​IMG]
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

Sad. My mom's best friend died of breast cancer. Nothing like pissing on religion in the name of....
  3. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Who is pissing on religion? What these believers are doing is raising money for a cause, a good one at that. These people are religious too. Their religion is not the same as yours...maybe thats your problemo.
  4. Real World

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

You're clearly pissing on religion by posting that flyer. If your concern was truly the fight against breast cancer, then you wouldn't have chosen such a disengenuous manner to put that forth. I guess if QuiGon put out some homophobe flyer that did the same, or say Harry did one about a White Power group, or Patters did it using some Holocaust movement (bear with me here Patters, Qui, and HB, I'm not accusing you of anything, and am merely using this to make a point), no one would see the underlying message right? Or would have anything to say. Of course not. Afterall, if they did so, it would only be to help fight breast cancer.
  5. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The Spaghetti Monster's looking different. Has he taken on a slightly more human form to best connect with his (ever growing) legion of followers?
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

The only difference is that there really are homosexuals and Illinois Nazis in the world. You can go and find them and have a beer with them. Religious deities don't really exist, and only the cool ones like Jesus would sit and have a beer with you.:eat2:
  7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +191 / 4 / -6

RW, it seems to me in the worst case, the poster pokes good natured fun at religion while supporting a good cause. That's certainly less obnoxious than religions that tell those who don't accept Jesus they're going to hell.
  8. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

One person's "good natured fun" is another person's deeply offensive statements.

How about we have some more "good natured fun" by telling some jokes about gays and Hispanics..?
  9. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

And one person's need to impose their belief system's unfounded ideas on the very much founded world of scientific discovery is the entire reason the church of the FSM was created.
  10. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh, I see... so it's OK to insult religion and religious people everywhere because some idiot somewhere tried to "impose their belief system" on scientific discovery... got'cha

Someday you people will realize how big of a bunch of hypocrites you are.
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

Another tolerant individual I see. Live and let live eh? I really find it sad how critical of religion the most "tolerant" of us can sometimes be.
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

I'll remember that should some post an anti-gay flyer, or a white supremist flyer that "jokingly" does the same. Personally, I couldn't care less what people think about religion. The point of my words is to cite how most in here treat people of faith, while simutaniously decrying the treatment of other groups.

You know, maybe that's where Imus went wrong. Had he only said, come on down and donate some money to cancer with our nappy headed....All for a good cause eh?
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

God help (oops, religious overtones, sorry! :D ) those crazy religious people. It's not like we've ever had a Gay Day in our schools here. Nah... only people of faith try to impose their belief system onto others.
  14. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So the thousands of scientists who've spent their lives adding to the theory of Evolution shouldn't be insulted when some religious group comes along and says:

"No your work is bunk. God did it. Why? Because I said so. How? Because I said so..."

and demands that their lifetimes of diligent, structured and verifiable effort be ignored in favor of this empty feeling? In an actual Science class?

Its funny how sharply attuned y'all are to slights against yourselves and how incapable you are of even noticing slights directed at the other side. Science has a word for people like that, Psychology actually, I'd tell you what it is; but you don't really care about Science.
  15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

What did I say that makes me intolerant? I don't mind if people believe in fairy tales. Some of the stories are reaaly fun and teach children some very good lessons. Live and let live. I have a friend who's a scientist in Iceland. He believes in fairies - he really does. He calls them "people of the rocks", (there's and Icelandic word for it, but I can't pronounce it, never mind spell it). Great guy. Brilliant. Not sure why he believes this stuff and I don't care. He also knows I'm an athiest and he's fine with that, too.

Have you ever had a beer with a mythical figure or a god? Have you seen one? Know anyone who's ever seen one? Talked to one? Seen evidence of the past presence of one? Anything?

Science is not an agenda. It's the recognition and understanding of things in the universe that actually exist because their effects are visible or detectable by measureable effects.
    Mythology is the compensation the human mind makes for those things in the universe that have no explaination yet. I'm OK with that. I'm OK even with people who have a cultural lag time with discarding of those myths. Have fun!
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

Again, insulting is the principle point here. If Fog, per say, posted a flyer that was insulting of Evolution while hiding behind the veil of breast cancer, then you'd have a point.
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

Oh, nothing really. :rolleyes:

It's too bad some of you don't follow such "fun" stories, and such "good" lessons.

Have you ever seen whom, or what created the universe? Can you tell me right now how we all got here? You can't, and neither can your scientist friend. Look, my issue is not with creationalism versus evolution, or science versus religion. I don't even go to church! I simply wanted to point out how intolerant, and insulting some in here are towards people of faith. The longer this thread goes, the more you reinforce my point. ;)
  18. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The more I learn and read and study science, the more I believe there is an intelligent Creator behind everything. I do not believe the ENTIRE universe and ALL the mass of EVERYTHING went from the size of a pin prick 15 billion years ago to the universe we know today, and that life evolved on this planet through a series of random mutations resulting in you and me just by luck and chance.

The universe makes too much sense to be merely randomly generated.
  19. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +191 / 4 / -6

Are you really offended by a fundraiser for a good pause by the Church of the Spaghetti Monster? I simply find it hard to believe you're so offended. Educate me. Why wouldn't the notion of a materialistic Santa Claus or an Easter Bunny be equally offensive? I really don't understand. It's not like that Church is attacking Christians, certainly no more so than, say, competing religions.
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

It's hard to come down on any definitive explaination for the very beginning of the universe as we don't have enough instrumental ability to see the temporal and physical evidence of events so far back at this time. Until we do, your opinion and belief is as valid as my athiestic one. I am more confident about evolution than you are, but you are correct in saying that the case is not closed on the matter ...yet.