PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Help!Best detailed Draft Guide books?

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
For 20 years I have been getting the Pro Football Weekly draft booK (not magazine) I've always enjoyed the write ups on players and some of hte detail given regarding the "intangibles".

Now that they are out of business I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a replacement. I do want a real book vs on line material. From time to time I go back and read about certain players both current and now retired.

So does anyone have any suggestions/recommedations?

Unfortunately I can't help but second the request.

There's a few magazine types that I've never been overly happy with. Some put out decent PDFs.

But I've never found anything quite as good overal as Pro Football Weekly was. I have every book since 1985. This is a sad draft season for me.

A couple of possibilities :

Order Publication | Draft Insiders' Digest

Lots of packages with this one, the book itself is $24.95. This is Frank Coyle's site. Unfortunately the link to examples from past publications doesn't work.

*** Edit *** It looks like the book is on-line only :(

Then there's Ourlads :

Ourlads' Publications

I couldn't find a price for this. I've bought this once or twice in the past, something about it made me prefer PFW, I can't give you an exact reason why though.

From a quick look that's all I could find (other than the usual magazines that come out).

I'm surprised that they went out of business. I thought they were a clear leader in draft day material. I had at least 7 years worth of draft guides from them.

Doesn't Phil Steele come out with a draft guide?

I don't really deal with guide books. I find them inherently useless. The draft is such a fluid process over 3 months that generally anything that is put out in print is hopelessly out of date by the time it hits the stands. Just my personal opinion.

I don't really deal with guide books. I find them inherently useless. The draft is such a fluid process over 3 months that generally anything that is put out in print is hopelessly out of date by the time it hits the stands. Just my personal opinion.
That is true. But, you can use the online info to update. Some of the info on players found in the PFW guide is not found on the on line sites.

A couple of possibilities :

Order Publication | Draft Insiders' Digest

Lots of packages with this one, the book itself is $24.95. This is Frank Coyle's site. Unfortunately the link to examples from past publications doesn't work.

*** Edit *** It looks like the book is on-line only :(

Then there's Ourlads :

Ourlads' Publications

I couldn't find a price for this. I've bought this once or twice in the past, something about it made me prefer PFW, I can't give you an exact reason why though.

From a quick look that's all I could find (other than the usual magazines that come out).

I hate reading on line for any amount of time. I did get Kipers book in 2003 after Joel died and I found his not as good as PFW.

I'll keep searching and if I find anything that is a suitable replacement, I'll post it here.

NFL Draft Bible is the best, check out their site. Walter Football is also incredible.

That is true. But, you can use the online info to update. Some of the info on players found in the PFW guide is not found on the on line sites.

See, you know more about them than I do. I don't use them. Sorry not to be more helpful.

For 20 years I have been getting the Pro Football Weekly draft booK (not magazine) I've always enjoyed the write ups on players and some of hte detail given regarding the "intangibles".

Now that they are out of business I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a replacement. I do want a real book vs on line material. From time to time I go back and read about certain players both current and now retired.

So does anyone have any suggestions/recommedations?

It is a shame that they went belly up; I always thought they had the best coverage. It sucks; I do not know what to turn to now....

PATSNUT - here you go, in all it's glory :

NFL Draft 2014 Preview | Triumph Books

(Nawrocki PFW book without PFW).

Thanks for the info. I did order another draft guide. But I do have 2 eyes.:cool:

BTW, there doesn't seem to be as many draft magazines out this year. To my great surprise I found the USA Today magazine to be very good. They have different takes on players and different people doing the mocks. It reminds me a little of The Sporting News draft guide, which is no longer. I liked it better than Lindy's.

Thanks for the info. I did order another draft guide. But I do have 2 eyes.:cool:

BTW, there doesn't seem to be as many draft magazines out this year. To my great surprise I found the USA Today magazine to be very good. They have different takes on players and different people doing the mocks. It reminds me a little of The Sporting News draft guide, which is no longer. I liked it better than Lindy's.
The problem with the magazines is I like to know who wrote them. Otherwise it's garbage in, garbage out. Lindy's claims to be written by NFLDraftScout, if so that's a solid source. Nawrocki is a known quantity, of course - it looks like his book this year has a quote from Belichick, btw.

FYI for those interested I got the Nolan Nawrocki book yesterday - you can get it from Amazon in addition to the link I gave before. It's identical to the old PFW book except that for most of the top players he's added "Scout's Take" which a (often in depth) quote from an anonymous scout/front office type. There's plenty of draftable players not in the book but it's still "The Bible" for me and I'm thrilled to have it back.

FYI for those interested I got the Nolan Nawrocki book yesterday - you can get it from Amazon in addition to the link I gave before. It's identical to the old PFW book except that for most of the top players he's added "Scout's Take" which a (often in depth) quote from an anonymous scout/front office type. There's plenty of draftable players not in the book but it's still "The Bible" for me and I'm thrilled to have it back.

The Amazon version is cheaper as well, around $13 bucks. I got the Kindle version for $9 and change. I read it on my tablet and iPhone, pretty damned cool if I need quick info on a prospect I don't know.

The Amazon version is cheaper as well, around $13 bucks. I got the Kindle version for $9 and change. I read it on my tablet and iPhone, pretty damned cool if I need quick info on a prospect I don't know.
Yeah, I prefer the book as I still prefer that to using a phone/tablet but there's a good option either way. I actually prefer this slightly to last year's due to the "Scout's Take" and I love getting this book as I know exactly who wrote it. On top of that, there's a complimentary quote on the cover from Belichick who was great friends with Buchsbaum.

Yeah, I prefer the book as I still prefer that to using a phone/tablet but there's a good option either way. I actually prefer this slightly to last year's due to the "Scout's Take" and I love getting this book as I know exactly who wrote it. On top of that, there's a complimentary quote on the cover from Belichick who was great friends with Buchsbaum.

I got to meet Buchsbaum once at the NFL Draft, a long time ago. It was the 1981 draft, where George Rogers went 1st, Lawrence Taylor went 2nd, and Freeman McNeil went 3rd to the Jets. He was so nerdy, but man what a nice guy. Though he was on the draft floor with all the media, he would stop and talk to ANYONE about the draft. I was not as big a draft nut as I am now, so I wasn't as well versed on the prospects, but I remember there being a BIG buzz about Taylor on the floor. Buchsbaum said he was going to be "very good" as far as I remember. Just a fun time, and to see the early ESPN guys there was exciting as well. Can't believe that was 33 years ago.

I got to meet Buchsbaum once at the NFL Draft, a long time ago. It was the 1981 draft, where George Rogers went 1st, Lawrence Taylor went 2nd, and Freeman McNeil went 3rd to the Jets. He was so nerdy, but man what a nice guy. Though he was on the draft floor with all the media, he would stop and talk to ANYONE about the draft. I was not as big a draft nut as I am now, so I wasn't as well versed on the prospects, but I remember there being a BIG buzz about Taylor on the floor. Buchsbaum said he was going to be "very good" as far as I remember. Just a fun time, and to see the early ESPN guys there was exciting as well. Can't believe that was 33 years ago.
Nice. You've probably read this :

ProFootballWeekly.com - A different view of Belichick

There's others like it, evidently Bill would call Joel a lot including nights during the draft.

I have every Joel/Nolan book since 1982, I was quite sad that my collection was going to stop.

Nice. You've probably read this :

ProFootballWeekly.com - A different view of Belichick

There's others like it, evidently Bill would call Joel a lot including nights during the draft.

I have every Joel/Nolan book since 1982, I was quite sad that my collection was going to stop.

That's awesome ! I used to get newsletters several times a year from the Patriots in the 70's-80's, because I had bought tickets to go Shaefer Stadium in 1979. And in May, I'd get the newsletter about all the Patriot's draft choices. Man, I used to read that thing back and forth, over and over again. I wish I had kept those newsletters. Now, there is SO much info, everywhere, on the draft. But I still get nostalgic about the old days.

I was just up in Boston this past weekend, and there is this cool little memorabilia store close to Sam Lagrassa's sandwich shop (across the street,opposite corner on Bromfield before you turn to go to Lagrassa's). The guy has some really cool old sports stuff, and coins (if you're into that). I bought a 1979 Pats yearbook, a 1994 Pat's yearbook, and the special edition books from the Boston Globe on the last 2 Pat's SB wins, all for $20 ! Great stuff.

You really have a prized collection of PFW Draft guides !

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back