PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Helmet (forgive a newcomer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldEnglandPatriot

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Undoubtedly this is an ancient issue, however I am curious to know what the general feeling is/was about the Pats changing the helmet logo.

I like the current logo a lot, but I would still have preferred that it had never been introduced. Somehow, winning that first Superbowl would have felt just 1 micro-precentage point sweeter if it had been done with the same logo in place as in the Superbowl XX nightmare.

Do many Pats fans feel that way, or am I a sentimental fool? (Or both??)

I'm a fan since the 60's....logos mean little to me...I like Pat Patriot and I like the Flying Elvis...but basically it comes down to marketing and brand identification...so the new logo wins that battle

OldEnglandPatriot said:
Undoubtedly this is an ancient issue, however I am curious to know what the general feeling is/was about the Pats changing the helmet logo.

I like the current logo a lot, but I would still have preferred that it had never been introduced. Somehow, winning that first Superbowl would have felt just 1 micro-precentage point sweeter if it had been done with the same logo in place as in the Superbowl XX nightmare.

I like them both. My favorite is the new logo which I have on my back windshield and on the front of my laptop. The old logo is on the refridgerator!

OldEnglandPatriot said:

I grew up with the lod logo, so I have a soft spot for it... But, the new one is fine I guess. :D

OldEnglandPatriot said:

I miss old Pat Patriot too!

I like the old logo too, however I'm also a little superstitious so I wouldn't want to potentially mess up the Karma of the football Gods. We are 3 and 1 in Superbowls with the Flying Elvii's, 0 and 1 Superbowls with Pat. Why mess with what's been working pretty good?

:confused:

OldEnglandPatriot said:

Check out the recent related thread on the throwback uniform. The biggest problems with the old logo are that it looks extremely dated and "cartoonish" up close, and from only a short distance away it looks like nothing -- an amorphous static tripod. The new logo retains a link to the historical "patriot" identity in contemporary fashion while showing forward movement. Its design also looks good from a distance.

> Do many Pats fans feel that way

Yeah, i do. I wish they could've won the 1st SB with the old uniforms. Still, when they won, i couldn't help but think of the old teams and say: "You finally done it!"

Regardless, the new unis are looking a-ok. When they first came out, i could understand the desire to start fresh, break away from the less-than-stellar past.

Last time i recall a throwback-uni game, didn't i hear a few of the guys kept them because they liked them so much?

> The biggest problems with the old logo are that it looks extremely dated and "cartoonish" up close

For what it's worth, some non-Patriots fans admitted to me they thought the old logo was the best in football.

Last edited:
Mixed feelings for me. I liked the Pat Patriot but we have had great sucess with Elvis.

Pat Patriot also reminds me of how many times the team broke my heart.

Stick with Elvis and enjoy sucess.

It took me a long time to get used to the new logo. I now think it's more in keeping with this new era of football. The old one will always be my favorite sentimental logo, but the "Elvis" does look better flying by the opposition!!

just wait, it'll change again

Joker said:
I'm a fan since the 60's....logos mean little to me...I like Pat Patriot and I like the Flying Elvis...but basically it comes down to marketing and brand identification...so the new logo wins that battle
i never liked the old pat patriot logo, although i thought it was a good logo for the team in that era.
my major complaint was the red jerseys. red was the color worn by His Majesty's troops in our revolutionary war. it was a fire-engine red as well.
i was glad to see patriots get into blue. what i see with the new logo --- seems so corporate, kind of bland with no pizzaz. but since people dubbed it "flying elvis"now i can get behind it.
still hoping that patriots, texans, or the bills will use a color like buckskin, which was acutally worn in that erra.
on this side of the pond, marketing is king. in the next 10 years, they (patriots and nfl executives) will change the colors (certainly) and possibly the logo so everyone will have to buy the gear with the new colors. most franchises--(e.g., hoops & hockey), have put the color black into their unis. this idea is hideous and bordering on the unthinkable. if it happens i'll be in front of the stadium with thousands of others, picketing and boycotting and hanting until the suits come to their senses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots