PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hello Goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oswlek

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Disclaimer: Mods I realize that this is not technically football related so I understand if you decide to move this thread or even remove it entirely. I just ask that it stay up long enough for most to see it before doing so.

It has been a long time but I am back for a little while. Much has changed in the past few months for me and I just wanted to stop by and explain my absence (both prior and future) and hopefully reestablish connections with a few of you.

The last time I logged in was the Saturday before the superbowl. I was hoping that this time would be a little more pleasant, but alas... Regardless, I swear on my life that nothing that follows has anything to do with Brady’s injury. All decisions had been long made.

After the Pats lost to the Giants I felt the need to take a step away from football. I can be obsessive about the things that I enjoy and the pigskin is no exception, particularly after last season with all the turmoil and jubilation. I invested a significant amount of time and energy into those boys, as I’m sure most of you did.

So, in an effort to let last season pass, I stopped listening to sports radio, I stopped watching sports TV and, regretably, I stopped coming here. Instead, I read books – tons of books. I was blowing through a novel a week at one point. Even then, every now and then my mind would wander and I would see Asante and Rodney dropping game ending interceptions. Ahhhhhh! After a while, as always, the ache dulled and clarity came.

Then something really remarkable happened. I had a major epiphany musically that is still ongoing. For the longest time I couldn’t write songs because they always ended up about the same and the lyrics were sophomoric at best. I don’t know if it was the stimulation from all the reading, or the added time to play, but songs just started pouring out of me. Some extremely good, some that I am still not sure about, but all creative on a level that I had never been able to reach before. I can’t explain how much of a thrill this is. Music is – and will likely always be – my favorite non-family pastime.

Once this happened I had a decision to make. As I said before, I am completely OC when I comes to things I relish. I know myself well enough to understand that I cannot start watching football again without it becoming more than just a hobby. At my best (worst?) I can spend 30 hours a week on the game. With a 50 hour a week job and 3 small children (the new one arrived in March) there isn’t enough time to dedicate what I would want to both music and football.

To be frank, it was never likely that football would win out, but when I sat down and thought it out I noticed some things that I never bothered to before. Even on the best of days when NE annihilates NY 38-14 I often times walk away from the TV with minor regret over missing one of the last few beatiful days of the year. I can be treated to possibly the best 9 weeks of football that any team has ever played and still have a sour taste when I think about that season. The clincher was when I thought back on my behavior on superbowl Sunday. I wasn’t a very good father to my children and it still bothers me that I put a game over them. Ultimately the answer was both obvious and difficult.

So why I am I here? Over the past couple years I have buit some relationships here that I am hoping to keep intact byond football. The best place to contact me now is youtube as I have started uploading videos here If you are as fanatic about music as you are football please send a message. Hell, regardless of your desire to stay in touch, I am putting those there for feedback so lay it on me. Also, a pm is OK since I have auto-emails set up and I will still be keeping this account. Maybe someday I will be able to watch the Pats and hang out here without it being a part-time job, but I know myself too well to think that time is now.

I suppose there are some of you that will call me a wuss for quitting on the Pats right when the ride gets a little rockier and that’s OK. You aren’t the ones that this post is directed towards anyway.

Thank you all for advancing my understanding of the game and for giving me a congenial place to talk about my favorite team. Someone is going to have to take over carrying the Welker and Maroney torches for me, and I will leave it up to the community to decide who. I hope that some of us stay in contact and that the future smiles upon us all. Go Pats.

Last edited:
Some good food for thought, actually. Good luck on your music from a semi-retired musician and recently stamped football fan.

I didn't talk to you much but I always liked your game analysis'. Sorry that last season was so rough on you. I too stopped coming here after the SB to clear my head after investing so much in the team so I know how that is.

Good luck with your music.

Good luck with your ventures, I feel your pain. Actually, its nice to hear (in a sick way) that someone is more tormented about the loss then myself. I've got three little ones also, and they must really think I'm nuts as I 'express' myself when the Patriots pull one out in the closing seconds.

Why not get the children involved in football? You don't need to invest 30 hours a week to watch a game that takes 3 hours to play. Take some time to explain the game to your kids, then it can be something you can all enjoy together. I have a child on the way and I can not wait until they are old enough (3?) to watch the game with their father. I cant wait until they are old enough (9?) to go to the game with me.

I understand...an a PM will follow..majes a LOT of sense.and you have explained it way beyond necessary....The link to Youtube does not work...just wished to let you know..BUT Good luck!!!

I understand...an a PM will follow..majes a LOT of sense.and you have explained it way beyond necessary....The link to Youtube does not work...just wished to let you know..BUT Good luck!!!

Fixed. Thanks.

I have a child on the way and I can not wait until they are old enough (3?) to watch the game with their father.

Dude... I have three kids, 3, 5, 7, and none of them can get through a quarter without having a question during a critical moment and they all get bored by the end of the first.

Watching football with a 3 year old is not fun.

Plus my 7 year old likes the Bucs. Because they have a pirate ship.
I guess he has a point. ;)

Oswlek - I always looked forward to your posts, I think you have a lot to offer - but I can completely understand why you're taking some time away from the Pats. Even a "healthy" (or non-harmful) obsession is unhealthy. I think we can all relate to that feeling - that we've become too wrapped up in sports or any diversion. Good luck w the music and best wishes.

Last edited:
Plus my 7 year old likes the Bucs. Because they have a pirate ship.
LMAO - that's good.

My 8 and 10 year old boys will watch parts with me but they aren't "fans". I don't discourage them but I wouldn't say I encourage them either; with only 1 out of 32 fan bases being happy at the end of the season, I consider being a sports fan to be a difficult life as pastimes go.

Oswlek, I'll miss you, you were always one of the posters whose threads would quickly be read by me when I saw one on the board.

Dude... I have three kids, 3, 5, 7, and none of them can get through a quarter without having a question during a critical moment and they all get bored by the end of the first.

:ditto:

Oswlek, we'll miss you here but I respect you for recognizing something in your life that was addictive and bad for you and having the strength to turn away from it. Best of luck to you and your family.

Good luck man. We will miss your posts but I understand.

Oh hell, no I don't. How can anyone give up football???:D

Last edited:
Thank you for your kind words

+ bump for the later crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill