Welcome to PatsFans.com

Heath Ledger's last movie: "The Dark Knight"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

After playing the "Joker", a metaphor for Satan himself, it's easier to see how Heath could have gotten further depressed, unbalanced, and doubtful about himself. Especially if he was using a variety of drugs -- legal or illegal -- to try to control himself.

Sad to see a basically nice guy get all the wrong messages, and then make all the wrong decisions in his life. Very, very sad.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8VD6JPG0&show_article=1

//
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

It is a movie, not real life, played by an actor.. not all that difficult.
  3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

"not real life" is true in the sense that it's something contrived and managed for a particular purpose (to send a message, to make money, "entertainment"), but regardless of that everything we say, do, and even think with our minds is recorded in us forever. The list of personal problems that actors/actresses have had could fill several volumes; it is far more than the average person. The "make-believe" world of movies leaves a permanent impression on both the maker of the film as well as on those who watch it. It's often said that "art imitates life", yet more and more the argument can be made that "life is imitating art". The evidence is clear.

//
  4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

No it is not, but I do not have time to argue right now... it is what it is, entertainment, that someone can choose to go and see.. nothing more and nothing less.. everything does not have a hidden meaning.. only if you want it to.. there is no grand conspiracy, need to take some things at face value.. you are fascinated with Heath Ledger.. so everything he does will be tainted in your view..
  5. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

One might consider your unwillingness to debate the point is more about your own preconceived notions that nothing people see or do in movies affects their lives. Yet, for a thinking person, such logic is patently absurd. If movies and other forms of "entertainment" do not affect our lives, then why would anybody bother to see/hear/experience them??? Why do theaters now include very sophisticated technologies, like Dolby Surround-Sound and even some places having other physical effects, like motion and even smells introduced during the movies?? It's all to "make the movie seem real", even if it is "only a movie".

Ask any Hollywood actor what he/she wants and they will say: "I want to portray as real and believable a character as I can." It's all about trying to "be real". It's the actor's dream.

In many entertainers' lives, not only Ledger but also Britney Spears, Prince, Elvis, James Dean, and on and on, there are tragedies, people self-destructing far before their time. What people do, even in "entertaining" affects their lives permanently, for better or worse. Nobody's talking about any "conspiracy", just the fact that when people start worshiping idols, like fame, money, and sexual conquest, they run into problems sooner or later.

//
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

This is why I do not want to argue with you, you argue from a base of religious fervor and I do it from reason & common sense... ne'er the twain shall meet.
  7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

This just in.....
    Heath Ledger is still dead..............
  8. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

So you see no correlation between the increasingly bizarre, freakishly violent, horrifying stuff that gets pumped out in movies on a daily basis, and the rise of increasingly bizarre, freakishly violent, and truly horrifying crimes that are happening in America and around the world today??

Yep, no relationship. All pure coincidence. :wha:

"reason and common sense"??? If my non-religious great-grand mother saw today's movies she wouldn't let any of her children or grand-children watch them.

//
  9. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So what was the excuse for the things people did to each other before the "bizarre blah blah etc" stuff?

Heath Ledger had a drug problem and it killed him. He may or may not have had a problem with depression, I don't know and really could care less. Many people have problems with severe depression, myself included. No one gives a flying fig about my problems.
    Many people have problems with drugs and booze. In many ways, it's a character flaw. Big whoop.
    He had a problem, he refused to stop despite warnings from many other people including the big guns like Jack Nicholson, so tough titty for him.

But don't blame his problems on playing the Joker. Lots of people play roles in Hollywood. When was the last time the cast from the Devil's Rejects kidnapped and tortured a bunch of people?
  10. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I still say the tone and content of the movies we produce says a lot of what we think of ourselves and others. Some stuff produced today is truly bizarre, could even say it is "sick", demented. Enabling sickness only produces more of it.

//
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

The End Is Near

Prepare
  12. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

A few hundred years ago some guy wrote a movie script about a kid who was pissed off that his uncle murdered his (the kid's) father and shacked up with his sister in law. The kid started talking to ghosts and everything. Then he kills a bunch of people in this gigantic orgy of violence.

You might've heard of it? Hamlet, classic play by Shakespeare?

There's nothing new under the sun. Humans behave humanly.
  13. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Teach a man to fish, and he can support himself and maybe others, too.

Teach a man about the evil that is easily available, IF we allow it to control us, and he could very well become another Hamlet or Riddler or Ted Bundy or suicide bomber or Charles Manson or ..... the list is long, thanks to Hollywood telling us all the time.

//
  14. jack

jack Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  15. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

"Hamlet or Riddler or Ted Bundy..."????

Hell, they might become a Deputy Dawg or even Plastic Man.

WTF?

"thanks to Hollywood telling us all the time." That was my point. Hamlet was written in 1600. The Joker was created around 1940. There's nothing new. Yet it never fails, someone will discover all this horror and be convinced they're the first and only person to ever take it seriously, so they wring their hands and hop around crying "the end is near".
  16. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What about Obadiah Stane..? Why isn't anyone in here talking about Obadiah Stane..?!? :mad::mad:
  17. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Remember when you suggested that other posters here were "trolling for a fight,... and you know it?" ... ??????????

Well, here's you doing the exact same thing, as you've become quite famous for. The EXACT same thing. And here's why you're the most profound hypocrite, in terms of scale, on this message board. It's really not even close.

Yet, we're all quite sure you'll attempt to paint an alternate reality for everyone to enjoy and laugh at. Perhaps you'll even suggest you "love" us all.

Instead of letting a sleeping dog lay, you decide to kick it. And now you'll reap what you've sowed, and complain to the moderators when you receive exactly what you deserve. Perhaps you'll offer a side order of 'Prince' ridicule, just for good measure.

And, saddest of all, you'll get your way. People who hold you accountable will be threatened within a milimeter of their posting existance, and you'll be free to offer condemnation, smarm, and hypocrisy as far as the day is long.

Rinse, repeat...
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  18. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You still don't want to get it. <sigh>

If my bringing attention to this downward spiral of "making bad movies just for profit", movies that only cause the public to become de-sensitized to the brutalities these movies "legitimatize" by their being made and shown to the public, then I will consider my efforts to have been a positive contribution to the public.

Thankfully, there are now more and more good films being done these days, but still the dross and descent into the purest forms of evil are out there; and for the vulnerable these cause a lot of confusion, leading ultimately to things like the Columbine tragedy, Va. Tech, and now what seems to be one a month similar tragedies.

People tend to re-enact what they see. Only last week a little boy was buried alive by some of his own cousins, children who later said they saw it in a cartoon. The boy died. Do we really need this kind of violent evil stuff being aired?? I don't think so.

//
  19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

I think you give movies too much credit for their influence on society, the reality is that TV's have parental controls and you can control what video's come into your home. I have not seen a link between movies and Columbine or V. Tech..

This whole thing gets overblown, and parents can influence the whole market if they choose to.. the reality is that many do not exerty their parental authority and rely on electronic babysitting.

The whole thing about Heath Ledger has to do with your homophobia and how it impacted on one of the last bastions of masculinity, the Cowboy.. here is a suggestion, don't watch it.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  20. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Dude--cartoons have been violent for years. The Loony Tunes stuff made 40-50 years ago? Tom and Jerry? Do you have no grasp of history or are you truly convinced this is the only time in the history of the world?

I watched Elmer Fudd shoot Daffy in the beak so it spun around. I've never shot anyone, because I knew--even at a young age it was a joke.

Cripes.

People don't re-enact what they see, unless there's something wrong with them to begin with, and/or they're given an excuse by people like you. Hell...Gene Simmons had a fondness for horror/sci-fi movies growing up, he's even been in a few. He's played a fire breathing blood spitting demon on stage. Yet he's one of the richest, most successful men around, and he's raised two good kids.

And by the way--if you're not going to respond to what I say, but are instead going to go off on some mindless rant that has nothing to do with my reply, then I say you're a coward and you don't need a message board, you need a blog.