PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Heath Evans on the days leading up to the SB42 defeat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Phoenix is just a dump with few nice hotels. Besides the first one in New Orleans why does it seem like we always get the Super Bowls in the rinky dink cities? Houston, Jacksonville, Phoenix, Indianapolis?

Personally I think it should be in New Orleans every year. Or maybe rotate it between LA, Miami & New Orleans.

I think the team was just tired that year and peaked way too early. Hell I was tired after that Ravens game. That was a helluva run but mentally and emotionally exhausting for the players and fans.

Troy Brown has more to say about the team practices before SB42:

“... It was the worst practice I’ve ever seen, any team, have for an entire week on any level in any sport,” Brown added.”We couldn’t do the basic things. I was on that team so I have to say we. We couldn’t do basic things. We couldn’t complete, not even one-on-one passes. … Quarterback-center exchange, handoffs, the basic things of football, we could not perform during the course of the week.

“We left the field one day and just called practice, came back the next day and had two Friday practices just to try to get caught up because we were so far behind. Practice, it was bad. I’ve never seen a team, especially a championship team, perform that way during the week.”

Brown says he thinks this year's team is doing much better. That's my sense too. I believe Brady was saying this morning they're actually a day ahead of the regular weekly schedule as far as what they've been able to work on.

Last edited:
Troy Brown has more to say about the team practices before SB42:

Brown says he thinks this year's team is doing much better. That's my sense too. I believe Brady was saying this morning they're actually a day ahead of the regular weekly schedule as far as what they've been able to work on.

You beat me to it with Troy Brown's words. I think between what he and Heath Evans had to say, it is very telling commentary. Between what the two of them had to say I'm surprised the Giants didn't win more easily.

This is really just one more reason why the result of what happened in 2007 should not be used in any way to predict what will happen Sunday. In fact, with what Evans and Brown had to say it really shows if anything that what happened in SB42 will likely not be repeated, despite the masses thinking the contrary.

You beat me to it with Troy Brown's words. I think between what he and Heath Evans had to say, it is very telling commentary. Between what the two of them had to say I'm surprised the Giants didn't win more easily.

This is really just one more reason why the result of what happened in 2007 should not be used in any way to predict what will happen Sunday. In fact, with what Evans and Brown had to say it really shows if anything that what happened in SB42 will likely not be repeated, despite the masses thinking the contrary.

I was listening to Brady this a.m. talk about how they're a day ahead and I was thinking, "man, don't peak too early or get out of sync from normal." But I really don't think that's a concern.

Interesting that the Giants have had one practice (before Thursday). Monday was flying day, Tuesday media day. Maybe that more closely resembles their normal schedule, I don't know.

Heath and Troy's comments the last two days have been enlightening. I think someone posted earlier that in light of this new information, I'm surprised the Giants didn't wipe the field with the Pats (at least on the scoreboard) in SB 42. I think the pressure of the perfect season got to them big-time.

If I had to pick one QB from this generation to complete a pass on any given play, I'd pick Brees. In terms of pure accuracy, the guy is probably as good as any I've ever seen. He routinely makes throws that are just unbelievable.

If I had to pick one QB from this generation (or maybe even any generation) to win a given game - regular season, playoffs, Super Bowl, etc. - I'd pick Brady. Hands down, not even close. With all due respect to Brees, Manning, Rodgers, or anyone else.

Heard Willie Mcg on NFL net last night say that in 2001, they did not move to 2nd hotel on sat night - then did the exact same thing for the next two. Wonder why they changed last time and what they will do this time?

Gotta be the key to the game right there................

There is only one person to blame for the loss. Mike Carey.

There is only one person to blame for the loss. Mike Carey.

I heard a Bob Kraft interview this week. He seemed to lay it on the missed pick.

Last edited:
Heard Willie Mcg on NFL net last night say that in 2001, they did not move to 2nd hotel on sat night - then did the exact same thing for the next two. Wonder why they changed last time and what they will do this time?

I wonder if it had anything to do with the Patriots' coaches and FO being called into meetings with the NFL legal people that Saturday to refute Tomase's bombshell that day. Interviews after the game show the staff was very upset about having to be dragged before the league lawyers for several hours.

Perhaps, the organization simply wanted to shoo the players away from that distraction.

Wow, there were definitely a lot of nuggets of information in the article. I love when I get to hear players talk candidly about things that fans don't normally get to see or hear about. It's sad how things turned out, but maybe BB has learned his lessons and tweaked what he's been doing these past two weeks.

I heard a Bob Kraft interview this week. He seemed to lay it on the missed pick.

Which missed pick? There were 3 of them on that drive, along with a 4th/1 that wasn't stopped,
plus a certain 3rd/5...

Let's face it folks, there were a dozen plays that game which, if one of them had gone the other way,
would have resulted in a Pats victory. So let's not all play the Asante Cost Us Perfection card
so quickly.

Who the hell picks the hotel? You'd think that would be up to the team and they'd scout it out...

I'd still guess that the exhaustion they were feeling was far more about the stress of going for perfection. I'd wager all of us have had moments in our life such as this, but on a much smaller scale. I have doubts that a crummy hotel and full pads practice did more to wear the guys down than the constant pressure of a chance at cementing themselves in the record books.

The Patriots were the "home team" so they picked their hotel first. The Giants loved their choice. It was a Sheraton on a nearby indian reservation. They had their own facilities, meeting rooms, private entrances and it was so far away from town that the players just hung around the hotel with their families during their off times.

Per Reiss: They are staying PUT tonite!!!! :rocker::rocker:

One more day til redemption!

Just watching the replay of SB42.

I never saw that on the Tyree TD in the 4th quarter to put the Giants up 10-7, Asante actually had an easy play on the ball, but instead he decided to be a hero and try for the interception.

I heard on the Patriots.com iTunes stream that the Giants hotel is busy and loud but the Pats hotel is mellow and professional. Sounds about right ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back