Welcome to PatsFans.com

Heath Evans on the days leading up to the SB42 defeat

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by BradyManny, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0

Evans was on DA last nite and D&C this morning.

Really intriguing - albeit painful - stuff. Gives some behind the scenes insight and a look at it we haven't quite heard before.

On DA last nite, he said he and Pioli were talking in Mobile this week, and Scott said that they were a "tired, exhausted football team."

Sounds like they just ran out of gas.

It Is What It Is » Heath Evans on D&C: ‘I’m going to second-guess Bill Belichick’ on some decisions before Super Bowl XLII

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. Fball

Fball Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I always thought that the 1st Giants drive probably determined the outcome more than the last one. After all of the distractions for the Pats that week, they probably couldn't wait to just play football & not have to deal w/ anything else. Waiting for 10+ minutes probably created a lot of impatience that wouldn't have been there otherwise...
  3. ThatllMoveTheChains!!!

ThatllMoveTheChains!!! Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Who the hell picks the hotel? You'd think that would be up to the team and they'd scout it out...

I'd still guess that the exhaustion they were feeling was far more about the stress of going for perfection. I'd wager all of us have had moments in our life such as this, but on a much smaller scale. I have doubts that a crummy hotel and full pads practice did more to wear the guys down than the constant pressure of a chance at cementing themselves in the record books.
  4. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Rookie

Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I felt tired just reading those quotes above. And honestly, I think we all felt a little tired by that point, if that makes sense. Different feel this year, for sure,
  5. condon84

condon84 Rookie

Ratings:
    +51 / 5 / -2

I thought this was interesting:

6. RodThePat

RodThePat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Can anyone tell me exactly why did Drew Brees gain this reputation as a big game quarterback? He had a very nice SuperBowl run, okay, but aside from that what has he done? Seriously, it's mystifying to me. The guy is as prolific a passer as they come, but his teams have customarily underachieved.
  7. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Rookie

Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

An aside: In looking up Brady's performance in domes, I found that Brady has played 10 indoor games (regular season) in the past 9 years (none this year). Brees played 11 dome games THIS year alone.
  8. Funktopus

Funktopus Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

He probably had this answer thought through long before the question was asked.
  9. Gronkandez

Gronkandez Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 1 / -6

I would pick Brees too...if the game was played the Superdome.
  10. tobias funke

tobias funke Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Exactly, "teams".

Evans played with both guys and I respect his opinion. I think what he's saying is that he believes Brees has slightly more potential to win a given game based on his athletic ability.

You can even view it as much of a compliment of Brady, considering that he's done more with 'less'.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with the opinion, but again, he played with both guys and articulated his reasoning. If the question was "who has been a better big-game QB", he obviously would have said Brady because of his body of work.
  11. ThatllMoveTheChains!!!

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That seems like a very fair comparison. Speaking from just a spectator standpoint it has seemed to me that Brees and Rodgers possess many of the same qualities that make Brady great with slightly better athleticism. I still need to see one more season from Rodgers to put him in the same class though. Also until either has the success Brady has he'll always be the leader of that group.
  12. ThatllMoveTheChains!!!

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Drew Brees Playoffs Game Log - Pro-Football-Reference.com

The guy is money in the POs.
  13. RodThePat

RodThePat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He puts up pretty stats in the playoffs. Those are two very different things. Being "money" is making the amount of plays needed for your team to win the ballgame. Throwing the football 50 times for 400 yards looks pretty on paper, but if it amounts to a loss, it doesn't mean anything when we are talking about postseason.
  14. Fball

Fball Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's where the "team" part comes in. There is only so much a QB can do.

He's shown that he can handle the playoff pressure & play at a high level when it counts the most.
  15. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I'm guessing that the league does. there is no way that you're going to get 70-100 rooms last minute at the same hotel on Super Bowl weekend. Likely, the league reserved X number of rooms at hotel A for the NFC and the same number at hotel B for the AFC...
  16. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Nothing surprising in this interview to me. I was very uneasy heading into that game. I sensed that we were sorta limping into that game..... We peaked early that season and were barely winning games at the end.

I was emotionally drained as a fan. I couldn't imagine how the players and coaches felt.

I feel the exact opposite about this team. They are really peaking in the last couple weeks. Defensively for sure.

Naw, that was a total PC answer. He won his ring with Brees and he was the last QB he played with. I would expect no other answered.
  17. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

I'm torn on this.

Brees the last two years lost early games, but Brady gets all the criticism for the Ravens and Jets losses.

You can't have it both ways.

I do believe Brees is bigtime, but he really doesn't have enough pelts under his belt to justify that belief.

Brady had stellar playoff games all the way up until San Diego in 2008.

Against the Colts, Panthers, Eagles, Steelers, etc., he was fantastic. Then a couple bad games, and suddenly everyone thinks Brady is a wimp.
  18. condon84

condon84 Rookie

Ratings:
    +51 / 5 / -2

The PC answer would have been "Both guys get the job done so it doesn't matter who you go with."

I'm not hating his answer because his logic is valid if he really thinks Brady and Brees are exactly the same and the only difference between the two are their athletic abilities.
  19. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

No, that's a players PC answer. As a media guy, he's expected to give an answer to a question...... just like he's expected to make picks at the end of the week. It's what they do.

I'm totally not surprised that he picked Brees. It's the last guy he ever played with and the guy that earned him a ring. Tom Brady is very far removed from him.

It's a valid argument for him. Does that mean Brees is as good a QB as Tom Brady is? Absolutely not. I'm not a Bree's hater (I love his game actually), but that is just the way it is.
  20. letekro

letekro Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 2 / -3

Sound like BS excuses for getting your butt kicked.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.