Welcome to PatsFans.com

Health Care Access, Use of Services, and Experiences Among Undocumented Mexicans

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Nov 28, 2007.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +518 / 14 / -28

been a lot of discussion about the impact of undocumented mexicans on our health system, this study shows that they used the ER less than US born Mexicans.. guess they mean first generation mexicans.. without regard.

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/co...ls&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&resourcetype=HWCIT

Background We compared access to health care, use of services, and health care experiences for Mexicans and other Latinos by citizenship and immigrant authorization status.

Methods We acquired data from the 2003 California Health Interview Survey, with 42 044 participants representative of noninstitutionalized households. Participants were differentiated by ethnicity/race, national origin, and citizenship/immigration authorization status. Outcome measures included having a usual source of care, problems in obtaining necessary care, use of physician and emergency department care, and 3 experiences with health care. Multivariate analyses measured the associations of citizenship/immigration authorization status with the outcome measures among foreign-born Mexicans and other Latinos vs their US-born counterparts.

Results In multivariate analyses, undocumented Mexicans had 1.6 fewer physician visits (P < .01); compared with US-born Mexicans; other undocumented Latinos had 2.1 fewer visits (P < .01) compared with their US-born counterparts. Both undocumented groups were less likely to report difficulty obtaining necessary health care than US-born Mexicans (odds ratio, 0.68; P < .01) and other US-born Latinos (odds ratio, 0.40; P < .01), respectively. Undocumented Mexicans were less likely to have a usual source of care (odds ratio, 0.70; P < .01) and were more likely to report negative experiences than US-born Mexicans (odds ratio, 1.93; P < .01). Findings were similar for other undocumented Latinos, with the exception of having a usual source of care. Patterns of access to and use of health care services tended to improve with changing legal status.

Conclusion In this large sample, undocumented Mexicans and other undocumented Latinos reported less use of health care services and poorer experiences with care compared with their US-born counterparts, after adjustment for confounders in multivariate analyses.

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

Sorry, but that is one vague, simplistic, and utterly flawed article. First of all, they used data from California in 2003. I'm not sure how that is indicitive of the illegal invasion we're facing nationally. Second, hospitals and clinics do not ask a persons immigration status when providing care. Assuming some do, the patient doesn't have to provide that information. Third, they broke down the illegal population into two groups, where which they didn't even total the entire illegal population. they broke them down into Mexican illegals, and non-Mexican Latinos. Last I checked, those weren't the only invaders in our country. Lastly, ignoring the methodology they used, which is somewhat unclear, and says something about having to have had 3 visits, the study doesn't tell us whether or not the legal residents paid for their care, or had insurance. The issue with illegals isn't how many times they go to the doctor, it's the costs they impose on the system, which the citizens i.e. Joe Taxpayer, end up paying.

3. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +378 / 46 / -7

#75 Jersey

So the survey says that illegal Mexicans use the ER less than US citizens?f course, who in the hospital has verified that the Mexicans that claim they were born in the US were actually born in the US (other than the presense of their Medicaid card).

This is absolute junk. The hospital here in Savannah, told me that they LOST 16 MILLION dollars LAST YEAR, treating illegals. They wanted to know how they could attempt to re-coup the costs. I told them to send the bill to Mexico, I wish they, or some other hospital, would. It would be interesting to see what happens.

Imagine the cost to you, if Hillary gets her "national health care", right now private industry, and the rest of us via our higher insurance permiums, are subsidising the illegals health care, wait until, the entire cost is leaped onto the taxpayer.

4. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

I really can't understand why anyone functional person would support the illegal invasion that is currently overwhelming this country. Illegals hurt one group of Americans significantly more than any other, and that's the middle class. It boggles the mind that people would support Amnesty, and say they are for the middle class. This country is so headed up sh!t's creek it's sad.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +518 / 14 / -28

There is no support either way, it is what it is a study that was done on a previously mentioned issue.. I suspect that even though it as done in 2003, this would be considered current.

6. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

The study is useless.

7. Bigdogx

Bigdogx On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

We are already there, oh well atleast it wont affect me a ton since im already well into my 30's, but any people my age that have kids, good luck to them because they are going to need it!

8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +518 / 14 / -28

Didn't we have this discussion before, deja vu, and you pointed me to some CDC website that did not support your position at all.. well at least this is a start. And it you say it is useless, must be so.. you are one of the ones who know all.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  9. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +587 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

I'm not sure what the point is here. If it's that they aren't a burden on health care, that's false as many of them pay no taxes/other costs to go into the system. If the point is that if they were given amnesty and paid into the system that they would more than pay for themselves, I think that's false as they'd go to the doctor more if they weren't scared of being caught.

10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +348 / 15 / -11

Common sense would tell us that those without insurance use medical facilities less than those with insurance and those who are without insurance and without legal status are even more unlikely to use such services. Also, common sense would suggest that language barriers, cultural differences, and views on medical treatment would discourage illegals from using medical services. I know when I lived in Scandinavia, I did all I could to avoid doctors and hospitals because I didn't know the customs and wasn't fluent in the language.

Nonetheless, the likelihood that illegals use our medical services less than legal alients and citizens dos not really change the issue that the right wing has. Even if only 10% of illegal ever use medical services, it still means that at least 1 million are getting service indirectly paid for by the rest of us. Of course my view is that the fact that illegals get service for free creates a stronger argument for an amnesty, whereby they would be brought into the system and pay taxes, have the opportuity to get insurance, etc.

11. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

I'm about your age. I'm 33 years old. :(

12. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

Please then, explain to me, in detail, what that article proves exactly. I've already explained how useless it is, in detail, so correct me if I'm wrong. Outline it's points if it has any that are worth anything. I'll be waiting.

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

More, assbackwards, appologist, american destroying, middle class exterminating logic. I know though, you support working families and the middle class. :rolleyes:

The facts, and common sense are plain and simple. It doesn't matter if I go to the doctor 100 times in a year, and Jose Illegal goes once, or vice versa. The bottom line is the cost associated with the visit, and who pays for it. Who pays for anchor babies? Is a single visit for a birth, heart attack, quadrupple bypass, etc.. taken into account in that study? NO! What F'ing difference do visits make, when cost is the key issue? Are all visits the same? Does one visit fit all? And why should taxpaying citizens, and middle class americans, have to pay for the cost of those I-L-L-E-G-A-L-S?
    Forget the fact that that study is inherently flawed, it doesn't even account for the key problem, cost. Furthermore, by making illegals legal, you are not dealing with the problem. You are simply legitimizing more RED INK. Illegals are low income, low skilled, lesser educated people by nature. They are the red ink of society. Adding 10, 20, 30 million more low-income, to poverty level people to the population adds problems, and doesn't help the situation. :mad:

14. Patters

Ratings:
    +348 / 15 / -11

Forget the fact that that study is inherently flawed, it doesn't even account for the key problem, cost. Furthermore, by making illegals legal, you are not dealing with the problem. You are simply legitimizing more RED INK. Illegals are low income, low skilled, lesser educated people by nature. They are the red ink of society. Adding 10, 20, 30 million more low-income, to poverty level people to the population adds problems, and doesn't help the situation. :mad:[/QUOTE]

You're so predictable. I already predicted you'd say this. Why don't you try to read my post before responding? In the second paragraph I said most of what you just said. Right-wing partisans like you are easy to predict because they think alike; they don't think for themselves on this particular issue. You bring nothing to the discussion but the tired old rhetoric and no solutions, at least no solutions that will win majority support in a democracy. And, yes, RW, we are a democracy and if you don't compromise you end up losing. That's one of the main reasons the right has been so unsuccessful in achieving its aims.

15. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The problem with this study's conclusions being seen in a positive light is the disparity between say 20 annual doctor visits and one massive Heart Attack. Its really not debatable to say that its cheaper to give people regular care that nips problems in the bud as opposed to dealing with situations when they become critical. You know that the illegal who's about to slip into a diabetic coma is going to call 911 or someone will for him. The EMTs won't be denied when the person's life is seriously threatened and they really don't care what a patient's citizenship status is. So what should have been handled years earlier with some pills and diet advice becomes a giant expense. The study points to what I'd expect it to; but it ain't helping the problem.

16. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

I bring nothing to the table? :rofl: Keep trying to tell people you're supportive of the middle class. You're not fooling anyone. The problems illegal immigration impose upon this country and it's citizens are fact. BTW, what compromise are you talking about? Amnesty? HA! Some compromise eh? We tried that 20 years ago, and how'd that work out for us? :rolleyes:

17. Patters

Ratings:
    +348 / 15 / -11

What do you propose we do that is politically realistic?