Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel

Patriots Salary Cap Guru
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Jay-Z?s involvement has NFL agents crying foul - Sports - The Boston Globe
The biggest dead weight, though, is Brandon Lloyd, who will count $3.5 million against the cap this year. But his dead money comes with an asterisk — the Patriots are taking on an extra $1.5 million this year from Lloyd’s option bonus, and will be given a $1.5 million credit in 2014.

So if you look at reports of the Patriots dead money situation in 2014 please check to see if they are including the $1.5 million credit for Lloyd. If not, they are overstating the dead money amount.

Another caveat to reporting on the Patriots 2014 dead money - Patriots will get a $1.35 million credit for Fanene making their dead money total $5,675,721, not $8.5 million.

Hernandez, Aaron 7,500,000
Dowling, Ras-I 589,382
Fells, Daniel 333,334
Hawkins, Lavelle 75,000
Bartholomew, Ben 6,667
Davis, Kanorris 3,334
McDonald, Chris 3,334
Kline, Josh 2,667
Francis, Justin 2,334
Jones, Brandon 2,334
Ford, Brandon 2,000
Morris, Stephon 1,667
Stankiewitch, Matt 1,667
Zupancic, Mike 1,334
Cherrington, Dewayne 667
Fanene, Jonathan (1,350,000)
Lloyd, Brandon (1,500,000)

Another caveat to reporting on the Patriots 2014 dead money - Patriots will get a $1.35 million credit for Fanene making their dead money total $5,675,721, not $8.5 million.

If the Pats come to an agreement with Hernandez similar to the Fanene one (one where they don't pay the future bonus due) where he keeps what he has received so far but doesn't get anymore, how does that impact the dead money in 2014???
It seems like the obvious solution. Without sounding callous to the tragic loss of life, he needs money, lots of it for his criminal defense and can't afford to forfeit what he has recieved so far. If he loses those millions in arbitration, it could affect his ability to pay the lawyers so it makes sense to come to an agreement that serves both sides...
Put another way- Do you really think the lawyers are going to put Hernandez in a position where they ( the lawyers) might not get paid?? Didn't think so.

If the Pats come to an agreement with Hernandez similar to the Fanene one (one where they don't pay the future bonus due) where he keeps what he has received so far but doesn't get anymore, how does that impact the dead money in 2014???

It would not. The Pats would get a credit in 2015.

I think the dead money on Fanene is for 2013 $1.35.

From Reiss:

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL, New England Patriots - ESPN Boston

1a. The Patriots and defensive lineman Jonathan Fanene (represented by the NFL Players Association) settled their grievance within the past week, according to sources, and part of the settlement is that the Patriots won’t have to pay Fanene the final $1.35 million of his $3.85 million signing bonus. When the Patriots had signed Fanene in March of 2012, the contract called for the $3.85 million signing bonus to be paid in multiple installments, with the final $1.35 million on March 31, 2013. We all know what happened -- Fanene never played for the Patriots and the team released him five months after signing him with the new “failure to disclose physical condition” designation. A grievance followed. We can now officially close the book on the Patriots’ failed Fanene signing, with Fanene able to keep $2.5 million of the original signing bonus and the Patriots receiving a credit on their 2013 salary cap.

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL, New England Patriots - ESPN Boston

It would not. The Pats would get a credit in 2015.

Question: Is the report above wrong? The article says the Fanene credit hits this year.

Yes, but he was cut last year. The credit comes a year after the guy is cut.

Miguel sees dead money

Joker sees FANOONIES!!!

Indeed, and when that money for Fenene gets added back, it looks like the Patriots will have over $8 million in cap space available. Not as much as some teams, but more than many others.

Is this able (all unused) to be moved into next year to mitigate the AH hit?

Indeed, and when that money for Fenene gets added back

I should have been clearer. I have always thought that any credit for Fanene would hit the 2014 cap, not the 2013 cap. I was trying to point that if the credit was going to hit the 2013 cap it would have shown up by now.

I don't see any reason to care when we get the $1.35M of credit. There would be no effect at all on the patriots. If the $1.35M is credited this year, the it will part of the monies carried over into 2014. This is no different than simply getting the cap credit next year.

Dowling, Ras-I 589,382
Fells, Daniel 333,334
Hawkins, Lavelle 75,000
Bartholomew, Ben 6,667
Davis, Kanorris 3,334
McDonald, Chris 3,334
Kline, Josh 2,667
Francis, Justin 2,334
Jones, Brandon 2,334
Ford, Brandon 2,000
Morris, Stephon 1,667
Stankiewitch, Matt 1,667
Zupancic, Mike 1,334
Cherrington, Dewayne 667
Fanene, Jonathan (1,350,000)
Lloyd, Brandon (1,500,000)

the fabled fanene credit at last!!!

dude, you are awesome for staying on top of all this!

Indeed, and when that money for Fenene gets added back, it looks like the Patriots will have over $8 million in cap space available. Not as much as some teams, but more than many others.

Witness the poor Rams with less than $700K in cap space. :eek:

I think the 2014 cap and free agent situation is practically a walk in the park compared to some/most years, especially considering that we only have one real concern (Talib), and a couple of players who we'd "like" to keep (Edelman, Wendell).

There have been tons and tons of years that we've had a laundry list of free agents and had to make some tough decisions, including the bookend years to 2014, of 2013 and 2015.

As many have noted, the 2015 situation will be much more challenging, but I'm sure that Belichick has been preparing for some time now, as usual.

I don't see any reason to care when we get the $1.35M of credit.

I care because
1.) I like to help my fellow NFL fans about the salary cap
2.) it helps learning when, if any, credit for AH will hit the Patriots cap.

From the CBA In the event that a Club receives a refund from the player of any previously-paid Salary, or the Club fails to pay any previously allocated portion of a signing bonus (including any amount treated as signing bonus), such amount as has previously been included in Team Salary shall be credited to the Club's Team Salary for the next League Year.

AH is scheduled to receive the last part of his signing bonus on March 31, 2014 which is after the 2014 League Year starts on 4PM March 11.

I take the position that will mean that any settlement with AH will have to take place before 4PM March 11 for the Pats to get a credit on the 2014 cap, rather than the 2015 cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes