PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

He speaks! Mangina PC on ESPNNEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
jetsfanri said:
Ok....I think this notion of the Pats "Organization" being so incredible is a little overstated. The Pats have had a good run in the last 5 years. During that time, you were fortunate that a 6th round QB became an unqualified star (remember that BB has never won without Brady at the helm), and many breaks went the teams way (tuck rule) that usually help contribute to all championship teams (Saturday in Denver the breaks went the other way). Don't get me wrong, the Pats have been the class of the league for the last 5 years.

The Niners were the organization that everyone wanted to emulate in the 80's, Walsh had a tree just like Parcells and now BB. Now the Niners can't win more than a handful of games. There is no magic formula, things change over time.

Enjoy the run, but remember that at some point, even this organization commited to excellence will be at the bottom of the pile.

Walsh had Montana (and later Young). Belichick has Brady (and later who knows - maybe even Cassel), Mangini has Noodle Arm and Bollinger. Bob Kraft wanted to build an organization like the 49ers dynasty under Walsh and he believed Belichick was the man to head his football operations. The JETS want somebody to rescue them from themselves and they grasped at a relative youngster rumored to be a potential BB heir apparent.

He may yet be, but NY will likely be to Mangini what Cleveland was to BB. A pit stop on the road to potential coaching greatness. BB had far more experience under a multitude of coaching greats (including his own father)under his belt before he took on the HC challenge in Cleveland in his 40's. Still he wasn't prepared...as that Walsh saying goes (and Walsh had done a stint as a college HC before he became an NFL HC at age 47). He did another stint under his mentor before being named HC of the JETS 5 years after he left Cleveland. It only took him 24 hours to decide that was another potentially bad career move, and a few weeks and some hefty draft compensation later he was named the HC of the NE Patriots. The rest as they say is history.

After 31 seasons in the NFL and 3 rings as a HC BB is only 53. His QB of the past, present and forseeable future is only 28. That team everybody wanted to emulate had a 13 year run and won 5 Superbowls. 5 years into ours, we can live with that. And who knows, maybe in another 5 years Mangini will be back to be our Seifort. :D

The JETS tried to steal the Pats mojo once before. How'd that work out? There is a tremendous difference between deciding to emulate a great franchise model and attempting to shortcut the process by stealing it's secret formula. Right now the JETS are like the lazy kid who's convinced himself he can ace the test by reading the cliff notes. :rolleyes:

T-ShirtDynasty said:
What the hell are you babbling about? Jebus, talk about a wild swing. I said some of us thought Mangini would have a better shot with a better organization, and you come back with a shot at the Patriots organization, trying to back up that deluded notion with talk of our 6th round QB and the Tuck Rule?!?

Even if we end up at the bottom of the AFC BEast next year, it doesn't change the fact that we have one of the best organizations and best football operations in the entire league (and quite frankly, the Jests have one of the worst, an opinion shared by a good plurality of your own fans).

Every player that comes here falls in love with the organization. Tim Dwight went nuts about the place after the first interview and gushed about a week after being here. Similar for Corey Dillon, Harrison, and other players that didn't even get the gig here, they're all blown away by the organization. Hell, your own Ross Tucker was here a full two days before nearly exploding with giddiness at finally being with such a great organization "that gets it".

"I think this notion of the Pats "Organization" being so incredible is a little overstated."

No, you're just so wrong, it isn't even funny.

A little sensitive? First, I don't think I "took a shot at" the Pats organization...I said that it has been terrific for 5 years. But 5 years is not forever, and things can and will change. I pointed out that the success has been a product of a combination of things, but there are many good organizations in the NFL. Ask the 49ers, the Cowboys, and the Steelers if Superbowl runs in consecutive seasons guarantees perpetual success.

As I have said before, prior to 2000 the Pats had a history that was more spotted than the Jets...a high school field for a stadium, a history highlighted by a humiliating Super Bowl defeat, and lots of losses. Now, in 2006 (6 years is a blink in the life span of the NFL), the fan base thinks the success is inbred for eternity. One good coach, one great QB, or one catastrophic injury can change that either way. Hopefully for the Pats and you fans, it keeps going.

If you want to view this as bitterness, what can I say to change that view? But the only delusional view is to think that in a league with a hard salary cap and a draft designed to reward the worst teams that the Pats will be great forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes