PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

He speaks! Mangina PC on ESPNNEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seymour93

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
"Look forward to work for Woody, Jets fans, etc. Jets fans are passionate. I started as ballboy in Australia, blah blah blah..."

He's going on about BB. How's he's such a great coach, great friend, and great mentor...

Wants to build a team the fans can be proud of. Wants a team-first attitude. Good luck.

Out of his league. JETS fans will love following along as he learns from his mistakes as he said..... He's approaching this as a long term rebuild. And every time he mentions his 11 whole years in the league you gotta wince. Asked about perception that BB was so involved holding RAC's advancement up he said I called every play this season. (No discussion of who designed them or had the final say on game plans, etc.). Groceries will be a team effort but....Bradway has the final say. Asked what his role was on defense under Parcells, and in answer he named that staff as Al Groh, RAC, BB and himself. LOL Quoted Walsh saying you are never prepared for your first coaching job - that will warm their hearts too.

I suppose if he survives past the next 2 or 3 years he may become a thorn in our side. But that's a big if.....WEEI says the deal is 4/$8M - not enough money or years to give him much clout or cache if gang green starts calling for his head in a year or two. Sounds like a nice kid with very high ideals and aspirations of selfless teamwork in the offices and on the field. Good luck on implementing that strategy in the Meadowlands.

Last edited:
Woody Johnson = Art Modell with a lot more $. Good luck Eric.

MoLewisrocks said:
Out of his league. JETS fans will love following along as he learns from his mistakes as he said..... He's approaching this as a long term rebuild. And every time he mentions his 11 whole years in the league you gotta wince. Asked about perception that BB was so involved holding RAC's advancement up he said I called every play this season. (No discussion of who designed them or had the final say on game plans, etc.). Groceries will be a team effort but....Bradway has the final say. Asked what his role was on defense under Parcells, and in answer he named that staff as Al Groh, RAC, BB and himself. LOL Quoted Walsh saying you are never prepared for your first coaching job - that will warm their hearts too.

I suppose if he survives past the next 2 or 3 years he may become a thorn in our side. But that's a big if.....WEEI says the deal is 4/$8M - not enough money or years to give him much clout or cache if gang green starts calling for his head in a year or two. Sounds like a nice kid with very high ideals and aspirations of selfless teamwork in the offices and on the field. Good luck on implementing that strategy in the Meadowlands.

:ditto:

He looked very timid and over his head...one must wonder if the NYJ hierarchy hired him solely because of the BB protégé image. Paraphrasing, "This is getting ridiculous. What's next? McDaniels to the Bills." - unknown Patsfans.com member.

Seymour93 said:
He looked very timid and over his head...one must wonder if the NYJ hierarchy hired him solely because of the BB protégé image.

Sacrificial Lamb. Somebody needs to take the blame for the horror show that's scheduled to appear the next few years there. Herm didn't want the honor and ran like hell as fast as he could.

By tapping Mangini for it, they've got a built-in excuse ('well he wasn't quite ready for a HC position, but he's growing into it' yada yada yada) and they "hurt" a division rival along the way. They would have caught heat for hiring Haslett or Tice, even knowing their future is rough, but everybody's enamored with all things Belichick, so Mangini brings them a short term pass from the media blood bath. How short, we'll see.

Seymour93 said:
:ditto:

He looked very timid and over his head...one must wonder if the NYJ hierarchy hired him solely because of the BB protégé image.

Bingo.....We've got Bingo.

Must......build......confidence....to....put.......fannies......in.....seats.....of....new...stadium

rinse, wash, repeat

it just shows the direction of the Jests program...we will not have to worry about them for another 4 or 5 years. Mangini is not ready to sit at the big boy table...dang he has only been a DC for 1 yr. Woody will be run out of town for this. Mangini will be blamed for a terrible Jet team when it will not be his fault. I have never seen a operation quite like the Jets...they are in shambles.

I actually think its an excellent hire for the Jests.

If you are in that kind of shape, you need to rebuild. Why not rebuild around the guy with the highest upside?

Mangini has great potential. I expect him to be a very good NFL coach for a very long time.

Sure, he is walking into a hornets nest, but BB didnt exactly exactly walk into a great situation here.

If you are the Jets, and you know the team is coming apart at the seams, and you are now rebuilding almost from scratch, why not hire the coach who has the best long term potential?

This could turn out to be a steal for them. Of course it all hinges on whether anyone in the organization wants to do their job well.

A week ago, everyone here was saying how he would never leave NE, Bill would talk him out of it, he has likely been told he is the next HC of the Pats.

Boy, things change in a week, don't they?

No one knows if he is going to good or bad, we'll see over the next few years. But at least keep the story straight...if he was smart enough a week ago to be an "up and comer" worthy one day of the BB throne, than he has a shot at being good in NY.

AndyJohnson said:
I actually think its an excellent hire for the Jests.

If you are in that kind of shape, you need to rebuild. Why not rebuild around the guy with the highest upside?

Mangini has great potential. I expect him to be a very good NFL coach for a very long time.

Sure, he is walking into a hornets nest, but BB didnt exactly exactly walk into a great situation here.

If you are the Jets, and you know the team is coming apart at the seams, and you are now rebuilding almost from scratch, why not hire the coach who has the best long term potential?

This could turn out to be a steal for them. Of course it all hinges on whether anyone in the organization wants to do their job well.

I both agree with you and disagree. I think it's almost a year or two early in the game for Mangini anywhere, but in NY I think it will be a disaster. I think he has the potential BB had when he went to Cleveland. Unfortunately, we all know how that ended. And given the culture and the fan base and the media scrutiny and the massive issues facing this franchise, I think the result will be along the same lines. JETS fans and the NY/NJ media will lose patience for a rebuild in a hurry. And he's being teamed with a GM already thought to be in over his head, whose contract expires in another 2 years. Eric will have a very short window in which to save both their jobs, or hope when Bradway goes he's not not sucked out in the backwash.

The situation BB came into here was not nearly as bad as the one he ran screaming from (the JETS). Here he got full control, his own personnel guru in Pioli, and a committed owner who hired him because of his personal knowledge of and respect for BB. All Woody Johnson knows is this kid is a BB protogee, his team in is shambles, the alternative was apparently down to Tice.

He's on NFL Network right now and god, he looks so young and babyfaced. I shudder to think what he may look like in a year or two. Schefter says he may poach Davidson from RAC (LOL) and Ryan may be available in a few weeks when his contract expires. Apparently they wanted to keep Heimerdinger but he said declined. And the DC (who interviewed) and ST coach have also indicated they have no interest in remaining.

jetsfanri said:
A week ago, everyone here was saying how he would never leave NE, Bill would talk him out of it, he has likely been told he is the next HC of the Pats.

Boy, things change in a week, don't they?

No one knows if he is going to good or bad, we'll see over the next few years. But at least keep the story straight...if he was smart enough a week ago to be an "up and comer" worthy one day of the BB throne, than he has a shot at being good in NY.

Yes, one day. I doubt the press and fans will give him that long. Yes he has a shot, but most of us believe that it would have been a better shot at success with a better organization, down the road a bit.

I like EM but I have to admit that the sacrificial lamb does enter into my mind. I just don't see him having the respect of his team...

I'm listening to his Press Conference now on http://www.newyorkjets.com/ .... two notes.

First, you can hear some of the NY media starting to get their slick little jabs already. He's going to be in for a treat. :)

Secondly, his favorite quote seems to be "Bill Walsh said that you're never ready for your first Head Coaching job". Ummmm... yikes.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Yes, one day. I doubt the press and fans will give him that long. Yes he has a shot, but most of us believe that it would have been a better shot at success with a better organization, down the road a bit.

Ok....I think this notion of the Pats "Organization" being so incredible is a little overstated. The Pats have had a good run in the last 5 years. During that time, you were fortunate that a 6th round QB became an unqualified star (remember that BB has never won without Brady at the helm), and many breaks went the teams way (tuck rule) that usually help contribute to all championship teams (Saturday in Denver the breaks went the other way). Don't get me wrong, the Pats have been the class of the league for the last 5 years.

The Niners were the organization that everyone wanted to emulate in the 80's, Walsh had a tree just like Parcells and now BB. Now the Niners can't win more than a handful of games. There is no magic formula, things change over time.

Enjoy the run, but remember that at some point, even this organization commited to excellence will be at the bottom of the pile.

[ There is no magic formula, things change over time.

The only thing that never does seem to change is how bad the Jets are year in and year out......I like EM, but he is being asked to "cook the dinner while not being allowed to shop for the groceries" -- recipe for failure, especially in the`NY market where they will not be very patient or understanding at all. That is beyond his control, along with choosing assistants and how will the Jets ever deal with managing the out of control Jets salary cap.

Watch how heavily they go after Richard Seymour next year by the way.....

jetsfanri said:
Ok....I think this notion of the Pats "Organization" being so incredible is a little overstated. (All the rest of what I'm about to say is just pretty much a bitter, jealous smokescreen) The Pats have had a good run in the last 5 years. During that time, you were fortunate that a 6th round QB became an unqualified star (remember that BB has never won without Brady at the helm), and many breaks went the teams way (tuck rule) that usually help contribute to all championship teams (Saturday in Denver the breaks went the other way). Don't get me wrong, the Pats have been the class of the league for the last 5 years.

The Niners were the organization that everyone wanted to emulate in the 80's, Walsh had a tree just like Parcells and now BB. Now the Niners can't win more than a handful of games. There is no magic formula, things change over time.

Enjoy the run, but remember that at some point, even this organization commited to excellence will be at the bottom of the pile.
What the hell are you babbling about? Jebus, talk about a wild swing. I said some of us thought Mangini would have a better shot with a better organization, and you come back with a shot at the Patriots organization, trying to back up that deluded notion with talk of our 6th round QB and the Tuck Rule?!?

Even if we end up at the bottom of the AFC BEast next year, it doesn't change the fact that we have one of the best organizations and best football operations in the entire league (and quite frankly, the Jests have one of the worst, an opinion shared by a good plurality of your own fans).

Every player that comes here falls in love with the organization. Tim Dwight went nuts about the place after the first interview and gushed about a week after being here. Similar for Corey Dillon, Harrison, and other players that didn't even get the gig here, they're all blown away by the organization. Hell, your own Ross Tucker was here a full two days before nearly exploding with giddiness at finally being with such a great organization "that gets it".

"I think this notion of the Pats "Organization" being so incredible is a little overstated."

No, you're just so wrong, it isn't even funny.

jetsfanri said:
Ok....I think this notion of the Pats "Organization" being so incredible is a little overstated. The Pats have had a good run in the last 5 years. During that time, you were fortunate that a 6th round QB became an unqualified star (remember that BB has never won without Brady at the helm), and many breaks went the teams way (tuck rule) that usually help contribute to all championship teams (Saturday in Denver the breaks went the other way). Don't get me wrong, the Pats have been the class of the league for the last 5 years.

This is so stupid. None of the WALSH ITES ARE COACHING THE 49ERS idiot!

MoLewisrocks said:
I both agree with you and disagree. I think it's almost a year or two early in the game for Mangini anywhere, but in NY I think it will be a disaster. I think he has the potential BB had when he went to Cleveland. Unfortunately, we all know how that ended. And given the culture and the fan base and the media scrutiny and the massive issues facing this franchise, I think the result will be along the same lines. JETS fans and the NY/NJ media will lose patience for a rebuild in a hurry. And he's being teamed with a GM already thought to be in over his head, whose contract expires in another 2 years. Eric will have a very short window in which to save both their jobs, or hope when Bradway goes he's not not sucked out in the backwash.

The situation BB came into here was not nearly as bad as the one he ran screaming from (the JETS). Here he got full control, his own personnel guru in Pioli, and a committed owner who hired him because of his personal knowledge of and respect for BB. All Woody Johnson knows is this kid is a BB protogee, his team in is shambles, the alternative was apparently down to Tice.

He's on NFL Network right now and god, he looks so young and babyfaced. I shudder to think what he may look like in a year or two. Schefter says he may poach Davidson from RAC (LOL) and Ryan may be available in a few weeks when his contract expires. Apparently they wanted to keep Heimerdinger but he said declined. And the DC (who interviewed) and ST coach have also indicated they have no interest in remaining.

I dont know how any coach could feel pressure from the fans of "40 years of misery". More than fans of any franchise the Jet fans almost feel it is thier birthright for their team to fail.

Herman Edwards just concluded a dubious run in NY, ad if they werent calling for his head (and really they werent) what would Mangini have to do.

The SITUATION BB walked into for long term support was better, but the roster was not. That was my point. If BB could rebuild so quickly from having so little, with Mangini being an integral part, why wouldnt you want Mangini to come along and execute the same plan for you?

I TRULY believe the long range success of a new HC has almost nothing to do with the talent he inherits.

By the time BB won his 2nd SB in his 4th year here, there was almost no one left that was on the team he took over.

Today, after 6 years, there is Bruschi, Vinatieri, Brown, McGinest. And I cant think of anyone else.
If you can find a team that doesnt have 4 players on it who will be good for 6 more years Id be shocked, and there were probably only 8-9 that lasted 4 years.

The talent factor of what was inheritied vs what was brought in by BB says he could have taken over any NFL roster and ended up with the same results, because somewhere in there would have been a handful of good players.

As far as Mangini, it will be interesting to see who he brings in to run the offense. We know what he will do on defense (and I think the players he does have on D are some good fits...Ellis can be a 34 guy, Abraham can be 34 OLB if he stays....Robertson as a NT....Vilma at ILB, etc.) but that offense is a mess and needs an identity.

BB may need to promote his top candidate for OC or Mangini may bring whoever that is with him.

BB had Pioli, Mangini is stuck with Bradway.

Also Woody Johnson isn't B Kraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey