Welcome to PatsFans.com

HBO's "Recount"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, May 29, 2008.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +426 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Fictional movies about historical events are never good; especially when they're recent and there's agendas involved.
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

I saw a healthy chunk of it, and it seems to be told from a Gore camp perspective. I'm not an expert on the 2000 election, but it kinda came across as a Gore should have won type theme. There's a part where they make it look like Lieberman cost Gore the presidency. At any rate, it made me wonder why anyone would use a punched ballot. There are so many problems that arise from them. Dimples, hangers, double punched, etc. they don't seem to bright. Once they've been played with, or handled, you can see where there'd be problems. It does make you realize how much of a mess that whole ordeal was, and why. To try to figure out what a voters "intent" was, is a little difficult to me. Is a dimple intent? I guess that would depend on who the dimples for. :D Seriously though, it was, and remember I saw most, but not all, very interesting, but from a Kevin Spacey POV. Spacey was on the Gore team.
  4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Really? What was "fictional" about a movie you likely didn't watch? Or is this another topic whereby you make a baseless statement, then bail and refuse to flesh out your "point?"
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +426 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I haven't watched it and won't watch it. I saw several people, not on Fox News, talking about how many lines were simply made up promoting an agenda.
  6. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I haven't seen it either, but I might at some point. I imagine the viewpoint is probably skewed. The best way to sum up the questions about the 2000 election, I think, are in an article post at Factcheck.org earlier this year. They're very objective, so I trust their analysis.

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/when_the_votes_were_recounted_in_florida.html

I know I've posted this before, so my apologies if anyone has already read it. I just thought it was pertinent to this thread.
  7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

That's interesting. The reviews I've read, undoubtedly a lot more diverse than the two or three you chose to listen to, all mentioned the painstaking detail they went to in order to get the story right. Even an interview with Ben Ginsberg, Boy King's campaign lead counsel, had the man conceding the director's attention to detail. You can watch that interview OnDemand, if you wish.

As for "made up lines," you realize it's a 90-minute movie that was scripted about an event that lasted 36 days, right? Wow. What film didn't condense a message to fit a timeframe?

Anyhow, thanks for admitting, openly, that you'll form an unabashed opinion about a piece of work without actually ever seeing it. You remind me of Bill Murray, film critic from the original SNL...

"Now, i didn't actually SEE the film.. but I hear it's really bad."

I believe you've just summed up the entire belief system you've let yourself absorb the past few years. Certain of an outcome without ever actually seeing the material.
  8. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +160 / 7 / -13

Haven't seen it (don't have HBO). Did they get into the Gore campaign getting the ballot of military people thrown out? Did they note that the 'recounts' done by the MSM (like the NY Times all concluded Gore would have lost? Did they note that the networks 'called' the results for Kerry prior to the polls closing in the panhandle?

Just wondering.
  9. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Yes they did. The movie wasn't biased. It was factual. They talked about Gore trying to get the unsigned, undated, military absentee ballots with no postmarks and no witness signatures (i.e. ones that could have been cast after the election) thrown out. They also talked about how Bush did the same thing with the Israeli absentee ballots the week before. I love how anything that conservatives come out on the wrong side of must automatically be "biased" and have an "agenda."
  10. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Because we all know liberals never complain about bias or agendas, right?:eek:

:D
  11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +160 / 7 / -13

I recall challenges the day after the election, and disallowing ballots that were delayed cuase the mail hadn't been picked up from ships at sea and so on....

I don't recall the Bushies challenging the ballots of servicemen?
  12. Run DMC

Run DMC Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

I lived in Flori-duh at the time when Bush stole his 1st of 2 elections. My feeling on the whole fiasco is this: If the dems could have found a candidate worth 1/2 of a pantywaste, it would not have come down to stealing a couple of thousand votes(then again JFK was elected by the same means). I look at the whole thing as bad theater these days anyway, there are larger forces at work here. These elections are dog and pony shows and most americans know this, thus the less than 50% voter turnout at every election.
  13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +538 / 2 / -9

Who Gives A Sh!t
  14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

All agenda's aside, why on earth would people use a punched ballot? Here in Mass, when I vote, I use a marker to connect two lines. It's can't get any more simple than that.
  15. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

http://www.thrfeed.com/2008/05/hbos-recount.html
  16. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

That's cuz the interest in an 8 year old non-story that essentially, can be changed or altered anyway, really doesn't resonate with the "people".

Bush-hate does have significant appeal, don't get me wrong, just look at McClellan's tell-all. He (and his editors) knew it would sell and be a huge hit, because it's sufficiently "juicy" and "relevant" to event still in the nation's collective memory.

The appeal does have it's limits though, and an election that 2-cycles removed and not particularly newsworthy anymore really only still resonates with the "Bush lied, people died" crowd, which probably accounts for many of those viewers and the overall poor rating in the general viewership.