PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

HBO inside the nfl

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
anyone saw the giants game highlights ? BB was wired for sound. Very interesting , especially when was 'coaching' moss after the first TD. paraphrasing "thats a good example of getting the ball at the highest point". "dont wait for it come down, go up and get it" . And moss responding "yes" ,"yes". anyone wondering how BB handles the so called tough personalities, that was a great example of coaching in the moment .

Cool, thanks, I'll keep an eye out for the replay.

bump - thanks. (Wish Moss had gone for the ball at its highest point when it hit the LB in the head, though!)

Saw it on the 1am re-run...It's great stuff, but not that much of it...You definately get the feeling they're stockpiling.

Notice this more than most coaches, that BB is always coaching, when the D comes off he spends time with them on some x's and o's.. he does the same on O.. this is one of the things that sets him apart.

Yes, yes. That's great coaching. Go get it at it's highest point....earth shattering:rolleyes:

Please have thick skin, no insult intended. Just fail to see the uniqueness in this.

The uniqueness in it isn't what he said to a wide receiver that could write a book about going up and getting the ball at the highest point, Moss could write a book on it. The uniqueness is the related to us having a coach that takes it upon himself to simply say it and re-enforce it after it was done. Most coaches would not have even bothered or wasted their breath. Players really appreciate it and as great as Moss is, having the coach mention it to him means alot. Like I said, other coaches wouldn't even bother.

Last edited by a moderator:
The uniqueness in it isn't what he said to a wide receiver that could write a book about going up and getting the ball at the highest point, Moss could write a book on it. The uniqueness is the related to us having a coach that takes it upon himself to simply say it and re-enforce it after it was done. Most coaches would not have even bothered or wasted their breath. Players really appreciate it and as great as Moss is, having the coach mention it to him means alot. Like I said, other coaches wouldn't even bother.

Also, the players have a deep respect for Belichick. When they get reprimanded, it makes an impression and generally that incident doesn't happen again. When they get coached up, they just accept the coaching...knowing that if they listen and implement it, they will be successful. When they get reinforcement (bordering on praise), they store that away and that positive behavior (getting the ball at its highest point) won't be taken for granted since a Hall of Fame coach recognized it.

I agree with you that simple things can mean a lot, even for decorated vets like Moss. This is one of the underappreciated aspects of Belichick. He doesn't play favorites (at least with active players) but he has subtle ways of letting you know that you are one of "his guys". It tells you a lot about Moss that he already seems to be there.

Not sure how anyone could possibly come to this conclusion. Positive reinforcement. What a concept. Would Parcells or Knight say it? Probably not, but my guess is there are a lot of coaches who employ this strategy. Either way, it is cool to hear the "sideline speak". I wish there were more "miked up" audio out there.

You kind of answer your own question. I'm sure Herm Edwards or Brian Billick would gush on the sidelines after a good play. The difference is that the only way these guys get into the Hall of Fame is with a ticket. You think Romo (with an 'R') cares that Wade Phillips has an orgasm when he throws a TD pass? Doubt it.

The point is that Belichick has amazing credibility when it comes to how football should be played. When he talks X's and O's, people listen. He has a million things that he could be doing on the sidelines during a game. When he takes the opportunity to provide positive reinforcement during a game, it means something since it is sincere and thoughtful...not off the cuff weeping like Vermeil.

Everyone does it. Not everyone makes an impression by doing it.

You kind of answer your own question. I'm sure Herm Edwards or Brian Billick would gush on the sidelines after a good play. The difference is that the only way these guys get into the Hall of Fame is with a ticket. You think Romo (with an 'R') cares that Wade Phillips has an orgasm when he throws a TD pass? Doubt it.

The point is that Belichick has amazing credibility when it comes to how football should be played. When he talks X's and O's, people listen. He has a million things that he could be doing on the sidelines during a game. When he takes the opportunity to provide positive reinforcement during a game, it means something since it is sincere and thoughtful...not off the cuff weeping like Vermeil.

Well put. I'd imagine that when Belichick says "good job" it pretty much translates into "that was the best possible play you could have made. Do it again next time".

I respectfully disagree that everyone does it. BB is one of the few coaches I see that always looks like he's doing something. Everytime they show him on the sideline he's talking into the headset, talking to the players, looking at something for quick analysis. A lot of coaches just seem to stand there and stare unless they are yelling at a ref.

I may be a homer, but, it seems to me he is one of the most active coaches and the players are always surrounding him.

Yes, yes. That's great coaching. Go get it at it's highest point....earth shattering:rolleyes:

Please have thick skin, no insult intended. Just fail to see the uniqueness in this.

uniqueness is he doesnt just say 'good job'. He is always coaching and teaching on the sidelines from a technical point of view instead of just yelling "lets go!, lets go!" . And he is saying this to a receiver who has catched his 22nd touchdown of the season ! . Can you imagine norv turner telling LT what mistake he is doing while running and getting stuffed by the opposing Defenses ?i can imagine BB doing it. And just from a historical perspective he did this dillon also. I remember reading a story with a corey dillon interview where he fumbled the ball while playing KC. BB came up to him and said "just lower your shoulders at the end of the run- thats why the ball came out." or something like that.
That is unique in today's coaching at least.

Not sure how anyone could possibly come to this conclusion. Positive reinforcement. What a concept. Would Parcells or Knight say it? Probably not, but my guess is there are a lot of coaches who employ this strategy. Either way, it is cool to hear the "sideline speak". I wish there were more "miked up" audio out there.
Then why do you have to respond? :confused:

bump - thanks. (Wish Moss had gone for the ball at its highest point when it hit the LB in the head, though!)

He was expecting a better ball from Brady. He was deep in the end zone. The ball was underthrown. Hard to go UP and get it when the ball is LOW.

Errr, did you watch the game ? That WAS the highest point ..... which is exactly what the problem was ....

Brady threw some bad balls in that game .... high and low. Case in point the long miss just before the record breaker. Thank god the beaten defender fell down, or he would have had a much better shot at the ball than Moss did.

R

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye