Welcome to PatsFans.com

HBO: Hacking Democracy

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by scout, Nov 4, 2006.

1. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Has anyone seen this special. A great show on how the voting machines can be hacked and how some election officials don't follow the voting laws. How Diebold software lacked the necessary security features to prevent tampering as explained by Dr. Rubins at John Hopkins Univ. Not to mention, the conflict of interest when a major voting machine company CEO makes contributions to a political party. The reporter and her computer consultants showed how the voting machines can count backwards. In 2000, Volusia County in Florida recorded minus 16,022 votes for Gore. This is factual. Some election officials cooperated in some precincts while others felt threatened. There is a problem. This is not a Democrat or Republican rant. We are supposed to be the leaders of the free world and we don't have a fool proof system, nor do we have representatives who want a system above reproach.
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +557 / 2 / -9

They better put guards around all those cemetery's in Chicago to make sure those dead democrats don't "rise" and vote.

:rocker: "yup, thats right Harry, a lot of them snuck out and voted for John Fonda Kerry and Boob Gore but it didn't do them any good Bush still kicked their a$s"

:D "yep, thats right brother rocker"

:eek: "oh look Wilma, that awful looking thing is voting"

:snob: "I know, it must be one of those f-cking dead democrats"
  3. andyguitar

andyguitar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Only 2 responses for this one

1)Huh?

2) What the hell are you talking about?
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +557 / 2 / -9

Dead Democrats In Chicago Have Been Known To Vote.
    :bricks:
  5. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I haven't had a chance to watch it. I plan to when it hits On Demand since I can never follow HBO's schedule. What did they have to say about the SAT type system (used here in MA) where you use a felt tip pen instead of a no 2 pencil? I always figured they were fairly safe since they generate a paper record that can be sampled or counted by hand if there's an issue.

I happen to live in the same voting district I grew up in and its been the same little old ladies guarding those machines as back when my mom used to drag me up there in the 70's. There's a new cop every year; but he's got the same cup of coffee, copy of the Boston Herald, and the same complete lack of interest as to what's going on. You could get barnyard animals past that guy and into the booth I'm sure, but the little ol' ladies don't miss nothing.
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +442 / 5 / -2

There is one simple solution to making sure registered voters are the only ones that vote. You ask them for ID.

Voter: Hi, I'm here to vote.

Attendent: Your name sir?

Voter:
    Jose Gomez

Attendent: What is your address, and may I see your ID Mr. Gomez?

Voter: heer' joo go

Attendent: Sorry Mr. Gomez but you are not a registered voter.

Voter: Ahhh chit.

[​IMG]
  7. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

There has always been some type of voter fraud in elections. Yes, in JFK's campaign, they most likely used names of people in Chicago as voters who were no longer living. It was wrong. Now, we have machines that are manipulated that will TAKE AWAY YOUR VOTE. In the past, this country would chastise countries which manipulated their elections. Now we have become them. Our voting machines have counted backwards, that is a fact and is very sad regardless of what party you come from.
  8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +442 / 5 / -2

I agree that it is an alarming situation. However, when some people in here don't want voters to have to present ID to prove thay they are who they say they are, why would they care about machines that can't count?
  9. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Because one is a problem, the other isn't. We both know which is which.
  10. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I just watched it. I was unimpressed. The main premise seemed to be that the memory cards can be hacked. This is true; but so what? If an election official was dumb enough to pick up the card for his machine from say Karl Rove or George Soros without clearing it first, we'd have bigger problems than anything they talked about in the documentary. The cards are erased and then locked up before the election.

They also made nearly no mention of the problems under any other system. Its not about finding an error in the system we got. With 100 million people voting, there's bound to be some flaws. The system we use can't be fairly compared to some non-existent standard of perfection. It needs to be compared to all of the other systems available. Like stuffing a shoe box full of pieces of paper with votes written on them For example. I bet Diebold's machines do better than that.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  11. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I think the show was good in that it was another step in the direction of exposing a bad system. We can have mega lotteries where millions of people purchase tickets in a limited time frame without a glitz, and get a receipt, but we can't have a record kept on voting. Today, I bet George Allen wishes the machines had some type of printed records. I rejoice that Allen has lost his Senate seat, but still disappointed that he could not legitimately challenge the vote. I'm not sure this system will be corrected anytime soon, as there are no lobbyists to put it on the agenda.
  12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I won't deny that their should be improvements. An optional paper record that you take away might not be a bad idea, and I'm not real fond of the companies being able to hide their source code. To be fair though, they should have compared today's system to previous systems.
  13. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

From my understanding they use optical scans there. Theres no reason why he cant get a recount if its within the %- the Va law requires it.

point is, this should be a bipartisan issue that everyone can agree needs to be done. Much more important than the fickle wedge issue negative ad crapola that seems to always bring this nation into the sewer each election. I particuilarly loved watching what 50 million of RNC dollars bought them this year.

Meanwhile, in NH we had D Carol Shea Porter clobber R Bradley (considered a shoo in) on nickles and dimes.