Welcome to PatsFans.com

HBO documentary: "Outrage"... about closeted gay lawmakers...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Oct 6, 2009.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

is excellent......

and should be required viewing for anyone pontificating about civil rights law, and the hypocrisy of in-denial gay legislators.

"I am not gay. I never have been gay." -- Larry Craig.

OK Larry, whatever.

HBO: Outrage

An official selection of the 2009 Tribeca Film Festival, OUTRAGE investigates the hidden lives of some of the country's most powerful policymakers - from now-retired Idaho Senator Larry Craig, to former New Jersey Governor Jim McGreevy - and examines how these and other politicians have inflicted damage on millions of Americans by opposing gay rights. Equally disturbing, the film explores the mainstream media's complicity in keeping those secrets, despite the growing efforts to "out" them by gay rights organizations and bloggers.

Through a combination of archival news footage and exclusive interviews with politicians and members of the media, OUTRAGE probes the psychology of a double lifestyle, the ethics of outing closeted politicians, and the double standards that the media upholds in its coverage of the sex lives of gay public figures. As Barney Frank, perhaps the best-known openly gay member of Congress explains, "There is a right to privacy, but not a right to hypocrisy. It is very important that the people who make the law be subject to the law."

The film also spotlights Michael Rogers, a gay activist and founder of blogACTIVE, a Washington, D.C.-based website dedicated to outing closeted public figures. Rogers feels it is necessary to expose the hypocrisy of those who may live one way in public and another way in private, explaining that his work is not about outing people who are gay, but rather about "reporting on individuals who are working against the community that they then expect to protect them."

Kirby Dick is an award-winning documentary film director whose last release, 2006's "This Film Is Not Yet Rated," was a breakthrough investigation of the secretive MPAA film-ratings system. His 2005 HBO film "Twist of Faith" received an Oscar® nomination for Best Documentary Feature. Dick's other films include "Derrida," a portrait of the French philosopher, and "Sick: The Life & Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist," which won the Special Jury Prize at Sundance and the Grand Prize at the LA Film Festival. Among his other HBO/Cinemax credits are 2003's "Showgirls: Glitz & Angst," 2001's "Chain Camera" and 2004's "The End." ​
  2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

and not just politicians, but political pundits...

guess who else was outed? .... none other than Fox's face.... too funny:

[​IMG]
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

Was there anything on Charlie Crist???
  4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

oh yes... front to back... including his curious voting record.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -9

This guy gets under my skin I can't stand his little smirk.
  6. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I've never heard anything on him, what's his story? My brother-In-Law is a die hard conservative ( not that there's anything wrong with that) and he held him in disdain when Crist was running for a lower office in Fl. My inclination was that Crist might be ok.
  7. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Are you suggesting that Smith has been hypocritical in any way?
  8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +193 / 3 / -10

Seems like you've found some joy in bringing up Shepard Smith. Don't believe for a minute that more left-leaning news stations are more tolerant of sexual preference PC...it's just not true.

Left vs. Right is irrelevant....it's a farce that those in power WANT people to engage in....an effort of the minions if you will. Which is why I refuse to participate.
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

But then again you participated... :confused::confused:
  10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +193 / 3 / -10

Eventually you'll catch on....I'm TRYING to educate Darryl....EDUCATE.;)

You have to admit that you don't see me participating in "Right vs. Left" nonsense on this board.

Also, you said I participated, yet the fact is, I did not participate in the "Right vs. Left" fallacy at all, did I?:confused2:

And I want to take the time to thank all the little people who have made my success possible....sorry, got carried away a bit. :D
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

But by participating you are complicit.. if you want to be a "pure" as you claim to be, do not comment.... the holier than thou crap is all bullshyt..

The thread was non partisan if you read it... but it is very curious that in the party of family values there are gay men... see the Log Cabin Republicans... gay folks are not really welcome in the party of the right.

My comments about Charlie Crisp are salient, as he has been long rumored to be gay and subject to scrutiny by Michael Rogers... so much so he even got married...

As far as shep smith goes, who cares, he was not elected into office.. .just another hollywood wife swapper.

BTW do not try to educate me.. have had enough.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

A network that routinely promotes RW anti-gay rhetoric sure is. Yes.
  13. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

He is not the network, he only works for it. Sheppard Smith has been lauded by NPR as being straight forward and honest in his news reporting. I'd say “ironic” is the better word to use than the word “hypocritical” is.
  14. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I just got done referring to the network as hypocritial, not it's gay lead anchor.
  15. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Well then I was thrown off because you reponded to my specific question about Smith with an answer that refered to the network he worked for.
  16. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

You do realize they can be against gay issues and not be against gay people.
  17. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +598 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I like Shepard Smith ... I really don't care what he does with his penis and/or love life. I thought he gave the absolute best coverage of all reporters during Katrina. He's a straight shooter, doesn't overtalk people either.
  18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +193 / 3 / -10

I'm with you IcyPat! I respect Shep a lot. He actually took a strong stand against "torture" at Getmo. Pretty cool for a Fox anchor.