PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hawkins needs not to look back...If we are smart

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Tonights game seems to solidify the notion that Artrell Hawkins is our starter over Wilson...He manhandled his player all night and you never heard a thing from who he was up against...This guy is good and Eugene should be sitting unless Hawk gets hurt....I believe Artrell is a large part of why our secondary is better and getting better every week,he is the unsung hero of the defense..He seems faster,more attentive and hard hitting than Wilson IMO

Bullfeathers, Wilson is the starter once he gets healed up. The only way I would expect that to change is waiting until the playoffs for him to recover.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Bullfeathers, Wilson is the starter once he gets healed up. The only way I would expect that to change is waiting until the playoffs for him to recover.

What I have seen on the field this year tells me that Hawk should be the starter. Gino didn't have a good year last year either.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I say as long as our secondary is playing well,why change it-just because he is 'the starter?'...Did you actually want Bledsoe back in when he got healthier instead of Brady?-Probably....Would not have worked out too well for us eh? - If it ain't broke don't fix it - the last few games show,Its not broken.

The Colts game will be a better barometer on the Pats' secondary than this game.

BPF said:
What I have seen on the field this year tells me that Hawk should be the starter. Gino didn't have a good year last year either.
We're seeing different things then, so is BB, he put Geno back in for Buffalo while Hawkins was available.

Considering the two first round picks and the abundance of quality safties in next year's draft... it may make sense to move Wilson to corner now while Hawkins plays (and excels, as he's done for this team consistently). It could potentially greatly improve the secondary this season while preparing for next year at the same time. That said, I expect the status quo, with Wilson returning to the starting job when he's healthy.

PonyExpress said:
The Colts game will be a better barometer on the Pats' secondary than this game.
That I agree with...If Hawkins shows signs of vulnerability maybe I will be wrong..But I think he will play well against Wayne or Clark which is who I think he will be chasing all night. - If he passes the test I want to hear no more of Wilson starting just because 'he's the starter' label is fastened to him-He was solid 2 YEARS AGO- Now just average,and Rodney is back so no excuse that he does not have his buddy back there..

Let's not be too harsh on Geno. He has made some enormous plays for this team as recently as last year in the playoffs when he knocked Alvin Pearman unconscious and caused him to fumble against Jacksonville. Felger has an axe to grind against Geno, I think we should be more patient. Geno deserves the opportunity to get healthy before fans jump ship.

Last edited:
There's certainly no reason to rush Wilson back until he's 100%.

PATRIOT64 said:
That I agree with...If Hawkins shows signs of vulnerability maybe I will be wrong..But I think he will play well against Wayne or Clark which is who I think he will be chasing all night. - If he passes the test I want to hear no more of Wilson starting just because 'he's the starter' label is fastened to him-He was solid 2 YEARS AGO- Now just average,and Rodney is back so no excuse that he does not have his buddy back there..
Oddly enough being the "starter" usually means you're the better fit at the position. But feel free to demonstrate your vast experience at team building, I'm sure BB appreciates the guidance.

IMO I have a problem with calling for personel changes on defense and especially the secondary. unless you are a coach, have broken down the game film and know the assignments on a given play and the game plan in general I think it is very unfair to critize a specific player.
so basically what I am trying to say is unless a player is completly screwing up with obvious things I think that the coaches who see all truely know best and if Hawkins is performing the game plan better than Geno than I am sure he will be in there without a question.

Hawk has done a great job so far, but I think the jury is still out on this. Geno can be very good in his own right. It's a nice little quandry to have though, isn't it? :)

There are plenty of snaps to go around.

Hawkins needs to start next week for sure, I don't want Wilson trying to play vs Indy if he isn't 100%

Box_O_Rocks said:
Oddly enough being the "starter" usually means you're the better fit at the position. But feel free to demonstrate your vast experience at team building, I'm sure BB appreciates the guidance.

Wow, that's a pretty arrogant attitude Mr Box of know it all.

smg93 said:
Wow, that's a pretty arrogant attitude Mr Box of know it all.
Yup, I'm getting more arrogant with the level of hubris put forward by all the NEM wannabes insisting they know more than the coaches about the players on the field.

Richter said:
Considering the two first round picks and the abundance of quality safties in next year's draft... it may make sense to move Wilson to corner now while Hawkins plays (and excels, as he's done for this team consistently). It could potentially greatly improve the secondary this season while preparing for next year at the same time. That said, I expect the status quo, with Wilson returning to the starting job when he's healthy.

If I only had a dollar for everytime someone came out with "move Wilson to corner"

Box_O_Rocks said:

yeah basically there's no reason for anyone to post about the patriots ever unless they are a player or a coach

thanks for saving me a bunch of time

fnordcircle said:
yeah basically there's no reason for anyone to post about the patriots ever unless they are a player or a coach

thanks for saving me a bunch of time
Yeh, only you coaches should be the ones yelling to bench a player because he sucks. Fans should be talking about what he was or wasn't doing right and how it seems to be affecting the team. Of course if you cut & paste the same rant into each thread regardless of applicability you can become a forum legend.

There were a lot of people claiming Geno was doing a lousy job after the Jets' game, yet the same people were rather vague about why they thought that. Now we have folks insisting Hawkins is head and shoulders better than Geno - yet the coach who took this club to three Superbowls allowed him to play while Hawkins was riding the pine. I'm supposed to assume you know better and join your chorus? I prefer the approach of looking at the TV recording and trying to figure out what BB is seeing that the one play wonders aren't.

How many people were crying last night because Gostkowski didn't kick a touchback? I guess we should cut him and bring Paul Edinger in or Martin Gramatica? Or we could look at where the ball was being received and thinking about who was the returner and estimating hang time's effect on said returner as the coverage closed in. But it's so much more fun to insist we're fans and have a right to pee and moan instead of learning something about the game we claim to enjoy and how the team we allegedly follow plays the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes