PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Have you seen this article on NFL com? Pretty aggresive but i like it:

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAWKY

On the Roster
Reaction score
Mike Freeman of NFL Com has a real gift for degrading metaphors and he uses them all on Synder but has some good words for Kraft and the Pat's.

"Snyder has celebrity deficit disorder. He cares more about the hype and the stars than he does taking the time to patiently grow a successful football franchise."

"One of the most stunning stories in football over the past several years is while Snyder has turned his team into a giant ATM off the field, on the field, this once fearsome, hungry franchise has been transformed into a slobbering herbivore."

"Never thought I would say this, but the Cincinnati Bengals are a better franchise right now than Washington."

"One day, when he is done pillaging the bank accounts of Washington football fans (he was after all the first to charge fans for attending training camp practices) it will hit SnyderBrenner. He will notice how the New England Patriots built a dynasty utilizing smart drafting, treating the salary cap with respect and making wise free agent selections based on real needs, not Q-rating. You don't sign Elvis. You sign Elvis Grbac."

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/story/9657716

"You don't sign Elvis. You sign Elvis Grbac." rates as one of the most ******ed column closers I've ever read.

The reality is that right or wrong people have been predicting Salary Cap Hell for the Redskins for years now. Say what you want about Snyder but he's not afraid of spending money and the league would be better off with more Snyders and less Bensons and Bidwells. Though the latter is at least starting to spend a little.

fnordcircle said:
"You don't sign Elvis. You sign Elvis Grbac." rates as one of the most ******ed column closers I've ever read.

The reality is that right or wrong people have been predicting Salary Cap Hell for the Redskins for years now. Say what you want about Snyder but he's not afraid of spending money and the league would be better off with more Snyders and less Bensons and Bidwells. Though the latter is at least starting to spend a little.

And what exactly has Snyder gotten for his money? Since 1999 he's signed 21 Pro Bowlers. How many have returned to the Pro Bowl since coming to Washington? Zero. And tell me again, how many championships in the Snyder era? Hmmm...ZERO. Personally, I hope 31 owners lose their minds and start spending like hell. Just more Lombardi's for New England.

usmcmgb said:
And what exactly has Snyder gotten for his money? Since 1999 he's signed 21 Pro Bowlers. How many have returned to the Pro Bowl since coming to Washington? Zero. And tell me again, how many championships in the Snyder era? Hmmm...ZERO. Personally, I hope 31 owners lose their minds and start spending like hell. Just more Lombardi's for New England.

It's obvious that Synder needs to hire better personnel people but my point remains that he's at least willing to spend like it's going out of style which puts him head and shoulders above other owners who don't in my book.

fnordcircle said:
It's obvious that Synder needs to hire better personnel people but my point remains that he's at least willing to spend like it's going out of style which puts him head and shoulders above other owners who don't in my book.

Synder can hire whom ever he wants and pay them what ever he desires it will make no difference.....Synder will still make all the decisions and bring whom he wants and what ever free agents he can buy.....Synder listens to no one but himself for he owns the check book .... and everyone he buys with the check book.

When you own the candy store and really know nothing about the candy business but insist that you know it all.....you end up with a lot of obsolete inventory.

RAWKY said:
Synder can hire whom ever he wants and pay them what ever he desires it will make no difference.....Synder will still make all the decisions and bring whom he wants and what ever free agents he can buy.....Synder listens to no one but himself for he owns the check book .... and everyone he buys with the check book.

When you own the candy store and really know nothing about the candy business but insist that you know it all.....you end up with a lot of obsolete inventory.

Compare Snyder to Bob Kraft, our guy lets the football braintrust make the decisions... Snyder seems to be too involved in the football operations end of things. Bottom line is Snyder makes a lot of money, but the Pats put a better team on the field.

fnordcircle said:

Evidently you know nothing about Daniel Snyder.

He IS his personnel people. The people (Vinny Cerrato, etc.) he has in there right now are nothing but sycophantic yes-men to feed his ego and smoke cigars with him.

Saying he "needs to hire better personnel people" is like saying he "needs to surgically switch brains with a person who does not have an out-of-control ego"

The problem, dear Fnordcircle, is not in his stars, but in himself.

shmessy said:
The problem, dear Fnordcircle, is not in his stars, but in himself.

Shakespeare.

I give him credit for spending, but not much credit. Because even after spending to the cap and paying the most expensive coaching staff in the game, he is still making a much bigger profit than anyone else.

His profits give him the ability to give large cash signing bonuses, something profitable-but-cash-poor teams have trouble with, but his "lavish spending on salaries" is overhyped. Because in the end, averaged over multiyear period, he won't end up spending a penny more on player salaries than other teams such as the Pats which spend to the cap. And even the "cheap" teams have to spend at least to the salary floor, which I believe is now 90% of the cap.

What he does is overspend on free agents and hypeable stars, and therefore by necessity he underspends on the average to above-average guys who make up most of an NFL squad. He is a test of the idea that your team success is controlled solely by your star players, and so far it's not working.

The guy is obviously a very good businessman and a terrible judge of a football team. I have to admire anyone who can make that much money with a franchise that has for the most part disappointed, but I don't think that's what he wants to be admired for and that's sort of humorous.

I had read that article and thought it was amusing. Ripping on Snyder is nothing new, however.

The problem is the obvious need for them is QB and they continue to sign every joe blow flash in the pan wideout who is a FA. What they need to do is let Brunell go and make a play for a Farve or McNair (to late for this one)

Dagg said:
The problem is the obvious need for them is QB and they continue to sign every joe blow flash in the pan wideout who is a FA. What they need to do is let Brunell go and make a play for a Farve or McNair (to late for this one)

That's only one of their problems...their special teams play has been bad in this new Gibbs era. Have you seen their kicker? Just awful.

Their defense looked pretty bad against the Vikes as well, but that may have been a beginning-of-season rust thing, who knows.

Yet all they seem to do is get flashy wide receivers.

fnordcircle said:
Say what you want about Snyder but he's not afraid of spending money and the league would be better off with more Snyders and less Bensons and Bidwells. Though the latter is at least starting to spend a little.

I don't agree. People that blow tons of money unwisely are much worse than people who don't spend money at all. Snyder overpays for just about everything, and it makes it harder for smart teams to get players at a reasonable price.

I realize the players and agents love snyder and his willingness to overpay for everything, but unless you like watching the Superbowl on TV, it's not a recipe for success.

fnordcircle said:

Right on! The NFL should get rid of the salary cap and let the league be dominated by those with money and thewillingness to spend it. Look how much better MLB is with Steinbrenner driving the salaries up. All of the best players get to play in New York and win championships and make even more money by being in the largest media market.

It's a win-win for everybody!!!!!

...Except fans of other franchises of course.

Thinking about Snyder makes me wonder how difficult it was for Kraft to stay on the sidelines during the Branch negotiations. I believe he tends to have a soft spot for players, like most fans, but it appears he let Pioli and BB make the decisions even when the media was burying them.

Not too many franchises where that would have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back