Welcome to PatsFans.com

Have you been following the political circus in New York State?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +565 / 22 / -19

If so, and looking at Massachusetts, or virtually any other state, why would you want the states to have more power than the feds? They are run by inept, small time, small minded insiders for the most part, who no one normally pays a lot of attention to, certainly not the type of attention the media gives a President.

Most recently in New York, the Republicans took control of the State Senate by wooing two corrupt Democrats (one under investigation for stabbing his girlfriend with a piece of glass; earlier this year, the Republicans called for him to resign). Well, the Democrats retaliated by locking the Senate chamber doors so no one could get in. Apparently, under the NY Constitution, you can only conduct official business in the Senate chambers. Meanwhile, the Democrats wooed one of the crooks back over to their side, making the Senate tied. Now, the Republicans are arguing that their new Democratic member holds two votes because of their interpretation of the New York State Constitution. Meanwhile, nothing is getting done. It's a real comedy.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

So you are pointing at two liberal states, as a reason why the fed should have more control over all of them. Nice. Have you been paying attention to the inept job the fed is doing, in running the country? I guess not. How many trillions is the fed in debt? Maybe people need to vote out incumbents, when the job performance of the people in charge, sucks. It would probably do wonders here, that's for sure.

3. Patters

Ratings:
    +565 / 22 / -19

Oh, it's easy to point out conservative states, too. I'm just more knowledgeable about these two states. But, Arizona, Alabama, Texas, Louisiana, and probably every other state have had plenty of scandals. This one is unusual because it involves both parties.

As far as what the fed is doing, so far what I see is that the economy has stabilized, but we're certainly not out of the woods yet.

4. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

the people running the fed are every bit as corrupt and inept as the ones running the states...........

5. Real World

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

What planet have you been living on all your life? Why on Earth would people want to give more control to the fed? I want less gubmit control on all levels, since they do such a piss poor job as is, yet here you are wanting to give more. :confused:

The economy has stabilized? Where?

6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,972 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Politics is at a grade school level behavior by nature.
    Many politicians were the nerds and goobers when they were younger.
    They hated the status quo growing up ... now they get their revenge.

[​IMG]

7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +448 / 12 / -14

Manyof us want both the feds and the locals to have far less pwoer and stay out of our business.

The more money government has the more corruption, not very complicated at all.

Problem is Patters is that libs assume gov should be sticking their noses in everyone's business. Doesn't have to be that way. Keep power with the individual not those who crave power over others.

8. Patters

Ratings:
    +565 / 22 / -19

Actually, I think the government does a pretty good job with the military, the courts, the interstate highway system, giving us clean water and safe food, and many other things. They carry far less debt than the private enterprise or individuals, and they actually have a means of paying it back unlike many big companies and individuals. Are they perfect? No, but neither is private enterprise. People are people.

Banks are returning TARP money, unemployment is slowing, parts of the housing market are improving, the stock market is improving, etc.

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

What planet do you live on? I think it's time to invest in a TV, or some basic cable. Maybe we could pass a virtual cup around the forum, for donations.

10. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

talk about being stoned........they don't do 'pretty good' with anything.......they have an open check book and hey still manage to screw things up.......the only reason the military is what it is is because private industry builds all their weapons......the courts? are you sh*tting me?

the interstate highway system? tell that to the 13 people who died on the I35 bridge in MN

you have obviously drank the kool-aid and are drunk from it

11. Patters

Ratings:
    +565 / 22 / -19

But, I think cable has corrupted you! So, why would I want to subject myself to that? What do you like about it? It gives you so much less information than reading does. A half hour of television news provides you with with at most one fourth of what you learn by reading. (We read at least 3x as fast as people talk, plus a half hour of news on tv is largely commercials and fluff.) So, if you consider that I have been reading news many of the times that you have been watching news, I probably have about 30,000 hours of information more than you do. If you had that information, too, you'd be more liberal. :D

12. State

State In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

But neither have anything on the one's running the cities.

14. ljuneau

ljuneau Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Wow, what giberish! Back to reality:

Weekly Jobless Claims Tick Up 608K
    Deficit Projected To Swell Beyond Earlier Estimates
    Let's Play Pretend!
    Commercial Real Estate Bubble Is Set to Burst

Just a few informative articles to return you to Earth.

Thomas Soule

15. ljuneau

ljuneau Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Your precident is entirely dependant upon what you read. Garbage in, garbage out. Based upon your output, I feel certain that I wouldn't be impressed with what you are consuming.

16. Patters

Ratings:
    +565 / 22 / -19

Gingrich is comparing illegal immigrants to Fed Ex packages. Fed Ex packages don't think for themselves.

17. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

... as opposed to Obama's Aunt Zucchini living off the dole in Cambridge, hiding in plain sight, illegal as hell. And now ... seemingly "untouchable". How's Obamarama going to tell other illegals to go home when he allows his own aunt to hide out in plain sight???

And who pays?? Those who work for a living.

//

18. Patters

Ratings:
    +565 / 22 / -19

Obama's aunt uncertain about return to Kenya - The Boston Globe

But yesterday, the deeply religious Onyango was cryptic about her future. She said "America is my home," but also said her work here was "finished."

"I came here to pray for my nephew; I came here to bless my nephew," she said. "That's the job I've done, and I have finished my job."

She also had words of praise for President George W. Bush for not having her immediately deported last year when her story came to light. "He's my number one guy," she said of Bush.

19. Real World

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

I never said you shouldn't read. Reading is great. TV gives you context that reading couldn't ever provide. Both in terms of audio context, and visual. Seeing video of what is going on provides something a picture, or words can't, just like seeing and hearing someone answer questions in an interview, is more informative than reading them in a magazine. You need a little bit of everything, which has been my mantra since I first joined here. You read the NYT, and Globe everyday, or only watch Fox News, you're going to be narrow minded.