Welcome to PatsFans.com

Have the Patriots ever started a D this young?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by pdangle, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdangle

pdangle On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +55 / 1 / -1

This has to be the youngest team I've ever seen the Patriots plan to routinely put on the field together to start a season.

Experience to start 2010:

Wilfork 6yrs
    Brace 1yr
    Pryor 1yr / Wright 5yrs

Mayo 2yrs
    Spikes 0yr / Guyton 1yr

Cain 7yrs
    Cunningham 0yr

McCourty 0yr
    Butler 1yr
    Chung 1yr
    Meriweather 3yrs

Median Experience : 1 yr! ONE FREAKIN' YEAR! Makes me think we should expect to hit a few bumps on the road this season. If not, it would be have to be a football miracle. But on the flip side, we should be set on this side of the ball for quite a while though. C'mon BB work your magic...

2. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +34 / 3 / -2

#80 Jersey

Not in the Belichick era.

3. Elijah

Elijah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +153 / 9 / -5

#11 Jersey

Not that it's a huge difference, but Guyton's been around for 2 years.

4. SirApropos

SirApropos On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

I'm pretty sure Cunningham is not the starter at OLB since he's been injured for several weeks now. Burgess is a 9 yr vet. Not that it adds all that much in terms of years.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  5. Satchboogie3

Satchboogie3 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0

He said median, not mean. The median is the middle number (13 players ranging from 0-7 years experience, the middle guy is the 7th guy, who has 1 year experience) and in this case 1 year. The mean is the average, which is 2.15 as you said.

6. pdangle

pdangle On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +55 / 1 / -1

I could have sworn Guyton was 2nd year. The only one I didn't double check. My bad.

Oh, and lest we forget. The man who's gonna set up the field position battles.

Zoltan 0yrs.

Also, I know some of the lineups will be older, but some will also be younger. Anyway, I just took a typical cross section of what our D might look like this year. I used MEDIAN age, not average, to get a less skewed average and better reflect each individual's age. Anyway just an observation, not a formal study or nuthin.

This defensive youth movement is actually one of the more interesting plot lines for me this year. At least we're not hearing how old the Pats are this year. Well... not as much anyway.

7. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,590 / 19 / -18

#75 Jersey

I imagine Parcells ended up with a fairly young defense sometime while he was drafting the core of our SB winning Ds.

Waiting for incoming.:bricks:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  8. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,694 / 39 / -27

Bobby Grier thanks you for the complement.
    Never understood how Parcells gets credit for the players that were drafted when he quit because he wasn't allowed to make the draft picks.

9. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,017 / 40 / -63

No Jersey Selected

When I did the average age for the starters on defense, it was around 26-27, IIRC. That was before cuts took place too.

10. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +192 / 1 / -3

#12 Jersey

1996 was the only defense I can think of that even comes close.

Milloy, Bru were rookies
    Law, TJ had 1 year experience
    Slade, McGinnest had 3 years
    Big play Clay, Otis, Todd Collins, Mike Jones and the rest of the regulars either had 4 or 5 years max

Too lazy to do the math but even that is not quite as young as this one.

11. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,590 / 19 / -18

#75 Jersey

Jimmy HitchCAWK had 5 starts and two interceptions in his second year.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  12. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I think the better question should be, have they ever had a starting defense look this bad?
    He rebuilt the Cowboys defense in like a year or two at the max.

13. HomelandDef

HomelandDef Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Interesting the Eagles' starting CBs are the former Pats starters - Asante and Ellis Hobbs. Of course Asante would've cost a bundle, and Ohrnberger and especially Paxton (who in essence we traded Hobbs him for) are solid, but CB is such an important position.

14. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

FWIW the mode is 1 year as well. Now we have all three measures of central tendency. Anybody up for calculating the standard deviation?

15. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,590 / 19 / -18

#75 Jersey

Well, they were making picks together. i wondered about that myself, so i put Bruschi and "Parcells drafted" into a search and it came up with this...

Tedy Bruschi Press Conference

Belichick is pretty precise with his language. We'll never know exactly who influenced what picks, but i think circumstantially, there seems a pretty dramatic break with the quality of players, especially on defense.

16. Ron Sellers

Ron Sellers 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The 1970-75, 1981, 1989-92, and 1995 Pats all say hello.

I ran into a response to another 'have the Pats ever' question in another thread, and the response was that I should have known that the topic was in reference to teams during the Belichick era. If that is indeed again the case - which I am hesitant to assume - then it is no wonder that fans of other teams accuse Pats fans of being bandwagoners and Johnny-come-latelys. When some Pats fans use the wording of 'in Pats history' to mean 'in the BB era', no wonder others assume none of us followed the team prior to 2001.

And if you are referring to the Belichick era, the 2002 and 2005 Pats say hello also.

The statement you responded to had nothing to do with what did or did not happen in Dallas. I'd love to hear an explanation of what a great job Grier did in New England; it sounds as if you think he was better than those in his place currently in Foxboro.

17. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,496 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Good post. I think the anticipation of this season is definitely showing us who the pink-hat fans among us really are. For me personally, "ever" started in 1986, when I first started watching football, so while I can't comment on teams from before that era from a personal standpoint, I can say with great certainty that I've seen several teams worse than this one since then.

I wouldn't pay attention to his rants too much. He pretty much takes any opportunity to bash BB. I think he takes his talking points from the guy in my siggy.

18. PatsBoy12

PatsBoy12 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +493 / 8 / -6

#12 Jersey

Yeah, I was about to post this. I should of figured that someone already beat me to it.:)

19. betterthanthealternative

betterthanthealternative In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +316 / 10 / -2

Which illustrates why Parcels had to be fired in NE. Kraft was catching on about building a team for the long term, to have year over year shot at a SB win. Oddly, one of his models was the Cowboys.

Parcels was looking out for his legacy and wanted another SB win with another franchise to cement himself as a great coach. This reshaped his personnel philosophy, and he was willing to give up a lot long term for short term gain.

The Cowboys lost the thread on long term, and started going for big-ego, flash in the pan success. Dez Bryant is the latest example. Parcels was all too happy to go there and take a short term shot at success. And both failed then, and continue to fail - no SB win, which is the only measure of success for both.

Meanwhile, the Krafts succeeded wildly.

20. zoostation

zoostation In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.