PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Have the idiots conquered Patriots Nation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PYPER

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
It's getting awfully difficult to follow this team. There are so many stupid and/or uninformed opinions everywhere. It doesn't matter if it's a message board like this one, radio, newspapers, television, or the internet. It's everywhere.

I used to be addicted to Patriots coverage. I had to read every single article I could find. But not anymore. The coverage is so poor.

But my biggest complaint is with my fellow fans. It's as if all the Talking idiot heads like Felger and Borges have brainwashed you people. Look at the posts and threads on this message board. It's a disgrace.

1) The Patriots are not throwing the season.
2) The Patriots never planned on having this much cap room left.
3) There "ARE" techniques involving likely-to-be-earned and unlikely-to-be-earned bonuses that allow teams to "roll" cap surpluses into future seasons.
4) Yes, the Patriots are a flawed football team but so is everyone else. Winning is hard. That's why winning three Super Bowls is SPECIAL.
5) Just b/c we're struggling and/or persevering through hard times, doesn't mean all the good times are gong. Relax people. Enjoy the ride. The best seasons are the ones where the team is able to overcome some kind of adversity.
6) Can we please stop following the flawed tendencies of the media and hold off from passing judgment until the season plays itself out. What's the rush?
7) Man Law Amendment. Any person who crosses path with Ron Borges is legally allowed to beat that jerk to a bloody pulp.
7b) Man Law Addendum. Any person who beats up Borges and then duck tapes him naked to a sign, tree, or light post shall receive a winning lottery ticket in the next drawing.
8) Tom Brady is off limits. Yes he's struggling but Tom has EARNED everyone's respect and that can never change.
9) Bill Belichick is off limits. Yes, there are some situations that didn't turn out as well as we would have liked (Law & Branch) but if you're a true Patriot s fan you should remember the **** Macpherson days. Nuff said.
10) Just b/c the Patriots might lose by one hundred points in Cincinnatti doesn't justify the BS the critics are dishing out right now. This team is a work in progress and our season will be judged at its conclusion , not after week four.

Bonus: Everybody who disagrees with me can F.CK OFF!!!!!

Last edited:
PYPER said:
It's getting awfully difficult to follow this team. There are so many stupid and/or uninformed opinions everywhere. It doesn't matter if it's a message board like this one, radio, newspapers, television, or the internet. It's everywhere.

I used to be addicted to Patriots coverage. I had to read every single article I could find. But not anymore. The coverage is so poor.

But my biggest complaint is with my fellow fans. It's as if all the Talking idiot heads like Felger and Borges have brainwashed you people. Look at the posts and threads on this message board. It's a disgrace.

1) The Patriots are not throwing the season.
2) The Patriots never planned on having this much cap room left.
3) There "ARE" techniques involving likely-to-be-earned and unlikely-to-be-earned bonuses that allow teams to "roll" cap surpluses into future seasons.
4) Yes, the Patriots are a flawed football team but so is everyone else. Winning is hard. That's why winning three Super Bowls is SPECIAL.
5) Just b/c we're struggling and/or persevering through hard times, doesn't mean all the good times are gong. Relax people. Enjoy the ride. The best seasons are the ones where the team is able to overcome some kind of adversity.
6) Can we please stop following the flawed tendencies of the media and hold off from passing judgment until the season plays itself out. What's the rush?
7) Man Law Amendment. Any person who crosses path with Ron Borges is legally allowed to beat that jerk to a bloody pulp.
7b) Man Law Addendum. Any person who beats up Borges and then duck tapes him naked to a sign, tree, or light post shall receive a winning lottery ticket in the next drawing.
8) Tom Brady is off limits. Yes he's struggling but Tom has EARNED everyone's respect and that can never change.
9) Bill Belichick is off limits. Yes, there are some situations that didn't turn out as well as we would have liked (Law & Branch) but if you're a true Patriot s fan you should remember the **** Macpherson days. Nuff said.
10) Just b/c the Patriots might lose by one hundred points in Cincinnatti doesn't justify the BS the critics are dishing out right now. This team is a work in progress and our season will be judged at its conclusion , not after week four.

Bonus: Everybody who disagrees with me can F.CK OFF!!!!!

I think you're right on target....look at last year,we really didn't get it together until the Tampa game.We adjust or "morph" better than any other teams.

p.s.The "fantasy football' freaks are ruining all Sports talk...i.e.,trade this guy,sign that guy....DO somethin',now!
Jeez....they give me a friggin' headache.....this isn't a video game,d%#*!@t'.

italia44 said:
I think you're right on target....look at last year,we really didn't get it together until the Tampa game.We adjust or "morph" better than any other teams.

p.s.The "fantasy football' freaks are ruining all Sports talk...i.e.,trade this guy,sign that guy....DO somethin',now!

5 turn overs in Denver means we never consistently got it together at all last year. The good teams exposed us and the bad teams gave us hope.

italia44 said:

Bravo.

Fantasy Football was designed to draw in and expand on a new generation of football fans. Unfortunately as it's name implies what it encourages them to do has no relationship to a successful NFL football strategy. Perhaps they should run these leagues through the playoffs with the caveat that you cannot swap players after the NFL trading deadline and you are stuck with them come playoff time - even if it means you cannot field a competitive fantasy team because half of your stat happy rosters are home sitting on the couch watching really well constructed real teams compete in January.

IMO a lot has to do with our tendency to be all somewhat ADD, looking for a quick fix to something that is not all that broken or just come up with a ridiculous trade. It also seems that the fan base here has increased tremendously and the old diehard crew and their belief in this team has been diluted so much so it takes on a Red Sox Fan Base feel. A perfect example last week is the Tom Brady Body Language BS, Madden and Michaels made a big deal out of it... how the f... is he supposed to look if he is loosing, he never was a rah rah guy on the sidelines anyways.. on the field he is a leader, his WR's do not know all the plays and subtleties... now we have d back injuries, there will be adjustments and this team will play better.

Call me crazy, but I'm kind of a fan of the current trend. Bandwagoners drive me ape$hit, and they're leaving in droves. We're in a rebuilding phase, which means we'll be strong down the road, as well, rather than shoot it all on one year. Also, our guys play well when they're underdogs. I believe in this team. I want them to win, but it adds an extra excitement to each game when it's not a foregone conclusion. Let the rest of the sports world gripe - it doesn't mean it's true.

rabthepat said:
5 turn overs in Denver means we never consistently got it together at all last year. The good teams exposed us and the bad teams gave us hope.

So true.

Last year the NE secondary played great vs poor QB's.

Brady and Belichick don't get a "free pass" just because they've been so good.

For the 10,000th time - It is NOT being "DISLOYAL" to essentially "boo" players or coaches through negative responses. It ISN'T.

They AREN'T off limits! When people criticizing Brady, they're not critizing everything he's done thus far. They're criticizing what THEY'VE SEEN in the PAST THREE GAMES.

Last edited:
pats1 said:

For the 10,000th time - It is NOT being "DISLOYAL" to essentially "boo" players or coaches through negative responses. It ISN'T.

They AREN'T off limits! When people criticizing Brady, they're not criticizing everything he's done thus far. They're criticizing what THEY'VE SEEN in the PAST THREE GAMES.

The Kool Aid drinkers dont think that way.

Youre as bad as Ron Borges if you criticize the Pats.

Triumph said:

Oh, ask anybody.

I'm the biggest "homer" around. :D

PYPER said:
FYI - Agents are now prohibited from agreeing to insert any incentive clause in a player's contract which is primarily inteded to help the club meet its ninety(90) requirement and is not of any significant value to the player. If a player informs his agent that he wished to agree to such a clause, the agent must show the NFLPA that he counseled the player that agreeing to the clause could significantly undermine the minimum cap protections for players under the new extension agreement.

http://www.nflpa.org/pdfs/Agents/2006RegAmendments.pdf

I guess I'm a big time kool-aider, but pro-choice on the matter. That is, I don't scream "off with his head!" if a poster disagrees, but I do have a sneaking suspicion that guys who've shown themselves the best or among the best in the busineness, have a plan to make best use of what they've got, and to make the right pickups to fill in where needed.

I don't think you can close the book on 06's moves or lack thereof until season's end.

We are not, as I've said before, the best team in the league right now. We may be, as I've said before, the best team in the league by end of year. That's an uncertain feeling. Get used to it, guys, until this team hits the
'04-'05 type of "sweet spot" again. Even then this was not a dynasty that was head and shoulders above every opponent, winning by blowouts. This team got an edge every week, and used it. Period.

That said, the possibility does exist that despite all past indications to the contrary, Bob Kraft thinks he should use the cap money on something other than football (or simply thinks there are better investments out there, etc.) Well then, I suppose eventually I would be pissed, even being a kool-aid drinker. Something tells me this is not the case, however, regardless of what is being built next to the stadium.

Last note, for whoever says fantasy teams should play through the playoffs -- I'm in a league that does that. Once the computer league cuts off at the end of the year, you score by hand, you "dance with who brung you," etc. You should see people unloading the Larry Johnsons and Eli Mannings at the end of the year, to pick up Kevin Faulk or Chris Perry (to have playoff players.)

PFnV

Miguel said:
FYI - Agents are now prohibited from agreeing to insert any incentive clause in a player's contract which is primarily inteded to help the club meet its ninety(90) requirement and is not of any significant value to the player. If a player informs his agent that he wished to agree to such a clause, the agent must show the NFLPA that he counseled the player that agreeing to the clause could significantly undermine the minimum cap protections for players under the new extension agreement.

Please also note that rookies are prohibited from redoing their deals for 2 years.

I think that this board should stay open to hearing a wide range of opinions.

So...if someone doesn't agree with the "In Bill we trust" mantra, they are misinformed????

This is not the Soviet Union in the 1950's.............

It is crazy to say withhold judgement until the end of the season.
If there is a bad early trend, it should be fine to point it out and question some of the decisions.

Belicheck is a very bright guy and I am certain he would not want people to blindly follow him like some kind of Moony cult.

To question or criticize the Patriots FO, Brady or anyone else is not disloyal or necessarily uninformed. The attitude that "how dare you question the Patriots- is uninformed".
The loyalty on this board is very admirable...but blind loyalty is taking it too far.

BB/Pioli are unquestionably by far the best in the business and they deserve all the accolades for their incredible and unmatched track record as does Brady. NE is incrediby fortunate to have these guys.

All the more reason to simply want the Patriots to MAX OUT their potential every year and to NOT 100% rely on planning for the future...there is a trade off there

pats1 said:
Oh, ask anybody.

I'm the biggest "homer" around. :D

Yep! Right up there with Homer P. PatsNUT. :)

Triumph said:

Exactly. What I'm fed up with are the fans that think you're a "bandwagon jumper" if you do criticize the team. What does being a fan mean? My team, right or wrong? I'll reserve that emotion for the United States of America. I've been a fan of this team longer probably, than 80% of the members of this board have been alive. Try being a Pats fan in Connecticut in the mid 60's which is when I fell in love with this team. Back then you MIGHT have gotten a line score on an AFL game in the local papers but in this area it was all Giants, all the time. Then when Namath and the Jets won, you got a lot of coverage of them too. But the Patriots? fuhgidaboutit. But I've been there suffering through the Ken Sims-Trevor Matich-Eugene Chung-Pat Harlow-Chuck Fairbanks-Rod Rust-**** Macpherson-Clive Rush-you name the disaster, debacles. So don't tell me I'm a "bandwagon jumper" if I criticize the state of the Patriots. And right now, they're deserving of some criticism. Is Belichick a good coach? No. He's a great coach. But this team has been poorly prepared for 3 games now. Is Brady a good QB? No. He's great, arguably one of the best that has played the position. But is he playing up to his own standards this season? Obviously not. Go right down the list. I can count on one hand the players who have left everything they have out on the field consistently so far this season...Colvin, Dillon, Warren, Vrabel maybe, but honestly, that's about it. Not Bruschi, not Seymour, not Brady, not the O-line, not even Rodney (and I think Rodney Harrison is a GOD!). So does all that criticism make me a bandwagon jumper? No, it makes me a FAN. There isn't a fan worth his salt that doesn't think that they know exactly what their team needs to do to get better. That's called passion. And it's also the reason why we're sitting in the stands instead of standing on the sidelines with a clipboard and a headset. You don't have to swallow the Kool-Aid to be a fan.

pats1 said:

They AREN'T off limits! When people criticizing Brady, they're not critizing everything he's done thus far. They're criticizing what THEY'VE SEEN in the PAST THREE GAMES.

You are right.

But, the criticism must be focused, specific,and accurate. If it meets those tests, it's not negitive.

Far too many people will go emotional, embellish, and will broad brush everything. Then they go on and speculate, wildly in many cases, and have very little, if any, accurate information to back them up.

Last edited:
Miguel said:

Unless I missed something this sounds like a clause that was inserted to insure a team doesn't abuse the process - as say the Vikings did under their previous ownership for a number of years when Red routinely rolled over double digit cap he personally was never intending to spend because he was planning to cash in and sell the franchise.

But is would not be a deterrent to a well run team like the Pats judiciously using LTBE's. In fact rolling over more than what currently remains of their cap this season and upwards of $12M of what for them would then be a $117M cap in 2007 would seem to be well within the relm of remaining compliant. And that's without even getting into the bucking the agent/NFLPA advice mode.

yes, it's good to have different perspectives of problems but it must come with some understanding of the team philosophy. We don't always agree with what the team does, I loved Bledsoe, shows what I know, but I didn't abandon the team when Brady took over. Brady is our QB and he has exceeded our wildest dreams.

The Pats under Belichick have a plan, not just for the game today but for next year and the year beyond that. They will not become emotional and spend money outside their plan because it effects the long range effort. Now I don't know how this year will turn out but I suspect it will be very good.

Meanwhile it really has taken away from my enjoyment of the season by being bombarded with the sky is falling all the time. Many of the posts have been ludicrous. Belichick and Pioli have lost it because they didn't sign some players this year, of course not. Are they right all the time, of course not but they are among if not the best at what they do. Bench Brady for Cassel, sheer lunacy. Trade for Jerry Porter, Randy Moss et all, give me a break they would be square pegs trying to fit a round hole.

It's not being a homer and its not blind "In Bill we Trust", its recognition of a competent approach to managing a football team. I'm all for it. Bill isn't selling out the season and if we don't win the SB this year it won't be because Bill and Scott didn't give it a sincere effort.

Please look beyond the tree in front of you and see the forest. And please stop the d--- hand wringing and crying, go be a Red Sox fan if you must torture yourself.

Oh, and by the way, In Bill I Trust.

PatsFanInVa said:
the possibility does exist that despite all past indications to the contrary, Bob Kraft thinks he should use the cap money on something other than football (or simply thinks there are better investments out there, etc.) Well then, I suppose eventually I would be pissed, even being a kool-aid drinker. Something tells me this is not the case, however, regardless of what is being built next to the stadium.

PFnV

I don't think that this is likely.

Clearly, Mr Kraft enjoys being the owner of a very successful team. Take that away by not spending the money and he risks becoming a JAB (= Just Another Billionaire :) ). Beyond that, there's the business angle. If the Krafts really find themselves too stretched financially then they can cash in their chips. But the value of the franchise is that much greater if it continues to have success rather than going down the hill like San Francisco. So either way the incentive is there to spend the money.

This may sound a little cynical, but it's not meant that way. Mr Kraft is a very admirable individual and he has been an incredible owner. Every time I see a picture of him I smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back