PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Have Patience With Incoming Veterans

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Belichick brought these guys in because he expects them to contribute to playoff wins and a Super Bowl. Their acquisition is not about winning preseason games or even the extra early season game. While I understand that one of these could be cut, I think Hanson was the expection. Belichick will have patience with his choices unless they show no hope in practices. Gaffney took more than half a season before he was productive.

These players do NOT need to be productive for GAME ONE to be solid acquisitions.

WALTER
TAYLOR
GALLOWAY
SMITH (I expect Watson or Thomas to be traded)
BURGESS
LENON

I semi-agree; after all, in the pre-Moss & Welker era we all took it as dogma that it takes a lot of time for a QB & WR to get in sync.

Yet it's also undeniable that some new players, vets and rookies alike, do get in the swing of things pretty quickly. So if we don't worry about the ones who are lagging, what can we worry about? :)

I disagree. Kneejerk reactions are the way to go. Walter must come in and pass for 400 yards. Taylor, while he may only be in for a few plays (if even that), should have somewhere in the ballpark 3 attempts for 600 yards and 4 TDs. Galloway should have 2 catches, both of which go for 70+ yard touchdowns on bombs. Smith should only finish the night with 13 TDs since he's going to be playing against scrubs, anything less is a failure. Burgess should end up 8 1/2 sacks and Lenon should take at least two picks to the house.

Anything less than this is a failure and, if this all does not happen, Dean Pees should be fired.

Anything less than this is a failure and, if this all does not happen, Dean Pees should be fired.

You're cutting Bill O'Brien way too much slack.

You're cutting Bill O'Brien way too much slack.

If I've learned anything here, it's to blame everything that goes wrong on Dean Pees - whether it's on the offensive or defensive side of the ball. :p

You mean I shouldn't have burnt a Joey Galloway jersey in effergy on my front lawn on Friday after he dropped a pass and was seen being schooled by Brady on the different plays? Oops! Sorry about that.

I'm not so sure about Lenon. He's struggled throughout TC and the preseason.

I'm not so sure about Lenon. He's struggled throughout TC and the preseason.

Lenon has been injured most of TC and the preseason. How do we know either way?

If I've learned anything here, it's to blame everything that goes wrong on Dean Pees - whether it's on the offensive or defensive side of the ball. :p

Aww come on, cut me some slack, does it have to be football related ? I'm having a bad day and thought of blaming him :p

I know that it take time to learn a new system. But these guys are vets and they should learn quicker than others. I hope to see production by the four fame of the season

Belichick brought these guys in because he expects them to contribute to playoff wins and a Super Bowl. Their acquisition is not about winning preseason games or even the extra early season game. While I understand that one of these could be cut, I think Hanson was the expection. Belichick will have patience with his choices unless they show no hope in practices. Gaffney took more than half a season before he was productive.

These players do NOT need to be productive for GAME ONE to be solid acquisitions.

WALTER
TAYLOR
GALLOWAY
BURGESS
LENON

I'm sure a lot of this is directed at my post in the roster thread. Nowhere did I say I had no patience for new veterans (note: Walter should hardly be considered a veteran, considering he's played 15 games in his career). I have plenty of patience for the other guys. The difference is that Lenon hasn't looked like much more than an extra TC body for most of camp. That doesn't mean he can't contribute...I just think the roster is too competitive for a guy who hasn't shown anything. Also, Victor Hobson is a guy who goes against your theory that new veterans don't need to show anything in preseason/TC to contribute.
Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see 4 TEs stay. DeVree will be cut, but Thomas will be as close to a FB as they have, and I expect most of his reps to come at that position rather than at true TE. If they don't keep 4, it's between Watson and Smith for the cut, IMO.

America has no respect for her veterans. :(

I suspect that Watson will get his wish--namely to be able to play for another team after five years, as opposed to the six years in his rookie contract.

WALTER
TAYLOR
GALLOWAY
BURGESS
LENON

I pretty much agree with this, and would add Greg Lewis to the list. Particularly with players that BB traded valuable draft picks for (Lewis, Smith and Burgess) I don't see him giving up on them unless they really show nothing. Taylor, Galloway and Burgess are expected to be more than role players, so I think that alone buys them extra time to adjust. I'm sure BB is well aware that adjusting to the Pats' system is no mean feat. Experienced veterans such as Adalius Thomas have made it clear that the adjustment takes time, no matter how much background one has.

O course, it's possible for veterans to blow it and buy a quick ticket out of town. With Victor Hobson last year it was obvious that he didn't have the speed that we needed on defense, and he was slow to pick up a new system compared to the rookies Mayo and Guyton. With Fernando Bryant, I believe there were several plays where he raised red flags by missing tackles or not following through. But I think there has to be a strong presumption that the vets will get a little bit of a prolonged look.

I fully expect Chris Baker and Alex Smith to be 2 of our 3 TEs, and think that one of Watson or Thomas will be traded - probably Thomas, unless someone is willing to make a really good offer for Watson.

Lenon has been injured most of TC and the preseason. How do we know either way?

From what I've heard, he struggled with the playbook and the system prior to the injury.

I also saw him a few times with the Lions and he didn't contribute much. I thought he just might have been a bad fit for the Lions' system (did they have a system?) like Bodden was, but he didn't really surprise anyone prior to the injury.

Maybe the time off helps him digest everything and maybe he will contribute when he comes back. But I wouldn't guarantee him a roster spot on a team this deep and talented.

I semi-agree; after all, in the pre-Moss & Welker era we all took it as dogma that it takes a lot of time for a QB & WR to get in sync.

Yet it's also undeniable that some new players, vets and rookies alike, do get in the swing of things pretty quickly. So if we don't worry about the ones who are lagging, what can we worry about? :)

I think it's easier for an offensive player to get with the program once they learn their plays, compared to new defensive players who not only have to learn the scheme, but also learn what their teammates around them are going to be doing in hundreds of possible iterations. But, there are still rare comets like Mayo who blow that idea out of the water too.

I suspect that Watson will get his wish--namely to be able to play for another team after five years, as opposed to the six years in his rookie contract.

That wasn't his wish.

He wanted what all subsequent first rounders get today - - a chance to graduate out of his rookie contract after 5 years.

The team has nothing to do with it. If the Pats were to give him a good deal, I bet he would sign an extension/new contract.

He was just born to soon.

I agree with the original poster, although while it did take Gaffney a while to contribute, he was not signed until October 9th of that season.

Still, the point it, these veterans that have been around understand what it takes to get themselves ready for a long season. If they study their playbooks, most of them should be fine.

I do agree that Paris Lenon may be a summer camp cut. It all depends on how well he adapts to a new system.

WALTER
TAYLOR
GALLOWAY
BURGESS
LENON

He also brought in Chad Scott, Dwayne Starks, Monty Biesel, Fernando Bryant, Deltha Oneil, and a handful of other terrible players over the last couple of years to "win championships"

And which of these did Belichick cut in the preseason without them being injured?

Belichick has been the absolute best at finding veterans to contribute. Not everyone contributes every year.

BTW, your list seems incomplete without listing Caldwell.

He also brought in Chad Scott, Dwayne Starks, Monty Biesel, Fernando Bryant, Deltha Oneil, and a handful of other terrible players over the last couple of years to "win championships"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey