PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Have Koppen and Mankins regressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcus

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
It seems like their play on the OL has not lived up to past performance.

At one point Mankins was billed as a "dominant ALL-Pro" type guard.

Was he overrated then? What the heck happened.

Also Koppen.

Starting with the Super Bowl last year they have both pretty much not been very good.

I'd actually like to see Mankins, Light, and Seymour (if their play doesn't improve) used for trade bait this offseason so we can load up on draft picks and get some young guards and tackles in there (perhaps the franchise guard in the first round?) as well as stock up on some youth to retool the defense.

To make the long story short, both have not lived up to expectations. Koppen was considered elite, and Mankins was considered top 4 guards in NFL. Neither have showed anything close to these labels this year.

I'd actually like to see Mankins, Light, and Seymour (if their play doesn't improve) used for trade bait this offseason so we can load up on draft picks and get some young guards and tackles in there (perhaps the franchise guard in the first round?) as well as stock up on some youth to retool the defense.

You might as well trade Brady also so he doesn't get injured behind

a make shift offensive line.

Yeah, you can't get rid of guys like Light until you have somebody suitable to take his place, even if you are unhappy with his performance. Even if it is a first rounder, I wouldn't be happy with a rookie guarding Brady's back.

He ALREADY got injured behind this one. What's your point?

Last edited:
i swear they both got their memories erased b4 the superbowl, and it still hasnt come back

i swear they both got their memories erased b4 the superbowl, and it still hasnt come back
They can't remember that long ago...it's really pathetic.

Logan Mankins used to be a beast-he was one of my favorites. Maybe it's just wear and tear, plus everybody's going for Cassel the same way they went for Brady last year. The OL's not able to consistently handle the pressure other teams are bringing every time. BB seems to be integrating some new blood in there but as opponent's play intensifies come Nov and Dec,the pressure's just going to get worse.

It the scheme being played by the opposing defence. this thread is assuming that the opposing defences are playing the same as before. In the super bowl the pressure came up the middle. Brady is great and he never got sacked.Even in the SD game 6-7 rushed with the pressure coming up the middle.leaving koppan alone on jamal. their is no way koppan can block someone 60-70 lbs bigger all alone all game.In every game the pressure is coming up the middle.no matter what light and kazur do the presure needs to be stopped.

every team we play are crowding the line and asking 5 OL guys to pick up 6-7 is not possible . I am not a coach to say what needs to be done but the only chance we had was go 5 wide pulling the ILB out and move the ball.

One OL player cannot block 2 rushers at the same time we are being out manning in the line. if cassell cannot find outside WR why use them move to a traditional 2TE/1RB/2WR 2TE/1FB/1RB/1WR set with moss split wide.

Last edited:
" Have Koppen and Mankins regressed? "
It looks that way to me.

It seems like their play on the OL has not lived up to past performance.

At one point Mankins was billed as a "dominant ALL-Pro" type guard.

Was he overrated then? What the heck happened.

Also Koppen.

Starting with the Super Bowl last year they have both pretty much not been very good.

The team overall is suffering from a lack of "Faith" in the QB. great players usually excel even when they don't believe in their Qb and the situation seems hopeless. Rodney did this for years with SD. Ray Lewis has done it for years with Baltimore. The talent and leadership drop off from Brady to Cassel is monumental for the O-line and they are still adjusting.

Cassel probably needs to win next week to keep his spoiled teammates and spoiled Pats fans onboard. Usually when a coach says defensively to the media "X is our starting Qb", , the opposite is true and the Qb's life expectancy as a starter is 2 weeks, give or take. BB, however, is not conventional and he may actually mean it.

IMO blaming Cassel is the easy and wrong thing to do. The defense has not shown well, to put it politely.

I had already chalked the SD game up as a loss prior to kickoff, and it did not figure into my 10-6 "grand plan" [ha ha]. Disruptions at the Qb position would destroy this season. The rest of the team needs to step up and play with passion to replace as much as possible the passion Brady shows. Watching the Bears with Orton and the Falcons with a rookie, the passion and energy those teams play with, stood in stark contrast to the Patriot persona on Sunday Night.

This is a heart check and gut check for the Pats players not named Cassel.

Last edited:
Do you guys realize Logan Mankins has played every game since 05.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=8446

In this span, every other OL position had lost starters.

I think Logan is playing in pain and has been since the playoffs last year.

He may not be effective like he was until next year....
....if at all.

Last edited:
Did you see Koppen on the 2nd and goal from the 1.
Williams pushed him back 4 yards into Sammy Morris.

That is the worst I have ever seen any center look in 40 years of
watching football.

I really expected more people to be talking about that play.

Did you see Koppen on the 2nd and goal from the 1.
Williams pushed him back 4 yards into Sammy Morris.

That is the worst I have ever seen any center look in 40 years of
watching football.

I really expected more people to be talking about that play.

They were too busy blaming Cassel for that play to notice anything else.

I would really love to see game day breakdowns like we used to see from Unoriginal and pats1 that graded every player on every single play, and those video still shots that break down either critical or typical plays. I find it difficult to believe that so many players have all regressed so quickly at the same time. My gut feeling is that much of what we are seeing is due to the OC and DC's schemes, and perhaps an inability to adjust. That, and the fact that San Diego is a very good team.

I do think it's the defense we're playing compared to last year(s). Teams are just loading up the box while the Pats play less of a spread formation. The O-Line is having to make more reads and are not doing a very good job of it. When you use the spread offense it's a lot more 1v1s which they are good at attacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back