PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Have Gaffney and Caldwell been the best playoff duo this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, uh, "cast-offs" isn't an insult; it's a statement of fact. They were "cast off" and passed on by multiple teams. See? It doesn't mean they had no talent; it just means that circumstances dictated that teams had no use for them at the time.

Our good fortune.

Considering the WRs we're talking about, you'd have to say that regardless of what people will say about that WR duo, they've got to admit that Tom Brady has done the best job of any QB out there this season, particularly in the playoffs. And yes, I know he threw three picks at SD, but come on. Gaffney and Caldwell? Tell me any other QB would do as much with that duo.

There are at least a couple Pats fans who have yet to realize this. I think they eat so much fiber that it slows down their thought process.

What's amazing is not only how well he has performed but also how he has handled it. For most star QB's if you took away his two best receivers and replaced them with cast offs he would throw a fit. Brady hasn't done this, at least not in the media.

Another concept that some Pats Fans aren't grasping.

When you watch the Colts it's really amazing how often his WRs/TEs/HBs are WIDE OPEN. I really do wonder how Peyton would do with a bunch of targets who didn't get instant seperation and maintain it through their routes.

When you watch the Pats WRs, their version of 'open' is normally a yard or two of seperation at the most. The Colts WRs routinely catch the ball without a defender within five yards.

This is more my memories of the games I saw last year than the few I saw this year, but it's still probably true at least to some degree.

I sometimes wish Tom had such open targets to hit.

But he does okay with the targets he's got to work with. ;)

I don't believe that Manning our any other QB today would have done what Brady did in 2001,2003 and this year.

Manning has every possible aspect of offensive football tailor suited to his liking and for his success. Brady makes due with what he is handed, each year being utterly different at many positions. A revolving door of players.

While this is definitely true, I wonder why people don't also see the opposite which is also true.

Peyton, Harrison, and Wayne have many years together and have peaked. They will never be any better than they are now, and in fact, with age and injuries will soon begin a decline into a lesser unit, if it hasn't happened already.

Pats passing game should keep getting better and better and hasn't come close to peaking.

Granted, the potential of the Pats passing game may not be as high as the Colts, but the gap is rapidly closing with Brady's familiarity with his receivers.

Great offense don't last as long as great Defenses? Thats what NFL history shows. On reflection it seems obvious why this should be so. Overwhelmingly dominant Offenses need 5 or 6 of the highest rated skill players to be in their primes all at the same time. (QB, WR1, WR2, TE, RB, LT).. If any ONE of them leaves gets injured or merely passes out of his prime the Offense becomes merely very good and not a "Greatest Show on Turf or a Air Coryell or a Colts stampede.

I predicted that it was time for the overwhelming Offense to start heading downward this preseason, and such has indeed been the case. Why?

Harrison is 35 and showing signs of passing from his prime, Stokley has been hurt, and a franchise type back, Edge, has been replaced with a game Addai, but Addai is not one of top five backs like Edge was, in his prime.

The Colts never won any close games because they had virtually no experience in maintaining POISE in the very few close games that they played. Games were close in the playoffs, and they lost them in the playoffs mostly due to losing their discipline. Ironically, the discipline forced from the close games this season, has probably helped Pay-me-a-ton and the Colts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes