Have any Matt Cassels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We all know that the Pats have 4 picks in the top 100. But they also have 5 picks in the last hundred. Matt Cassel and Andy Stokes last year suggest a model for some of those late picks...swinging for the fences.

This isn't a regular sleeper pick, an unheralded guy you think could be better than advertised. It's a shoot the moon pick, where you take a wild flyer on a guy with the build and raw athleticism of a day-1 talent, but no track record at all. He never saw the field, or played in division III, or was on the lacrosse team instead of the football team. You accept that most of these guys won't make it out of TC, but if one does, like Cassel (or wrestler Stephen Neal, or--we can dream--Antonio Gates), you've struck gold. Keep in mind that by the standard value chart, a 7th-round pick is worth one twentieth of a 3rd-round pick.

Some possibilities:

Jai Lewis, forward/center, George Mason basketball
6'6" 277 4.72
High school tight end who is aggressively pursuing the Antonio Gates career path. Great competitor with excellent hands.
Shuttle: 4.03
Vertical: 39.5

Troy Bergeron, WR, Arena League (mentioned by bosfan in the sleeper thread)
6'2" 190, 4.38
An odd tale this one...heavily recruited out of high school, signed by Auburn, then showed up on campus and was told he had to be a CB. He declined and signed with a D-II team, but had to leave and take a paying job to support a new baby. Eventually found his way to the Arena League where he tore things up.
Shuttle: 3.98 (!)
Cone: 7.08
Vertical: 35"

David Dixon, OLB, Hutchinson JC
6'2" 244 4.45
Spectacular athlete (44" vertical) wasn't D-I eligible, was absurdly dominant at the juco level:
161 tackles, 112 solos, 43 TFL.
5 blocked kicks, 4 FF, 8.5 sacks, 2 INT.
27.0 avg on PR, 27.8 avg on KR.
Yes, that's all one season.
Reportedly a very alert player with excellent field vision, agile, strong tackler, nose for the ball, can run with TEs in coverage. Was heavily recruited to jump to D-I but decided at the last minute to try the draft instead. His coach explained: "Dixon is a great person, but he just doesn't like school."

Paul Pinegar is this year's Matt Cassel.

By which I mean a late rouknd QB draft pick that thoroughly amazes during TC.

Like last year, those who like Pinegar will be called Pinegarites, and will be ridiculed for liking the guy.

Last year I was vindicated in my Cassellite-ism. This year?

I have this premonition that the Patriots will pick Charlie Whitehurst QB with one of their fourth rounders.

patchick said:
We all know that the Pats have 4 picks in the top 100. But they also have 5 picks in the last hundred. Matt Cassel and Andy Stokes last year suggest a model for some of those late picks...swinging for the fences.

Some possibilities:

Jai Lewis, forward/center, George Mason basketball
6'6" 277 4.72
High school tight end who is aggressively pursuing the Antonio Gates career path. Great competitor with excellent hands.
Shuttle: 4.03
Vertical: 39.5

I've posted on this one before, but Ed Nelson (UConn forward) wants to be a TE too; he's 6'8".

Troy Bergeron, WR, Arena League (mentioned by bosfan in the sleeper thread)
6'2" 190, 4.38
An odd tale this one...heavily recruited out of high school, signed by Auburn, then showed up on campus and was told he had to be a CB. He declined and signed with a D-II team, but had to leave and take a paying job to support a new baby. Eventually found his way to the Arena League where he tore things up.

Wonder if he could be a good PR.

One more to add:

Brett Elliott, Linfield College (Division III)
6'3", 210
He beat out Alex Smith at Utah before an injury pushed him to the sidelines. He threw 110 TDs in two seasons at Linfield, including 61 in one season (take that, Peyton :D ).

What a tremendous premise for a thread !

I wouldn't call Pinegar a Cassel in that he's a lot more well known and not a true sleeper. I like him a lot, though, and if they think Cassel is ready to be #2 then Pinegar would be a rock solid way to use one of our #6s.

Here is further info on Bergeron, the more I read the more I like and think this writeup really makes him look like a candidate for the Pats. He is no secret to the NFL scouts, a lot of folks are aware of him but he is a young, fast, WR/Returner who addresses an area of need and think we should draft NLT 6th round. Who was that other player we got in the 6th that turned out pretty good? His name slips my mind right now, anyway here is link: http://www.draftdaddy.com/prospects/troyBergeron.cfm

From the Uncle Heatster Big Board (TM), deepest of deep sleepers:

RB Steve Silva 5-11, 212 4.55 Holy Cross
RB Shermar Bracey 6-0, 225 4.55 Arkansas St
TE Brandon Twito 6-7, 275 4.80 Pittsburg St
OT Seppo Evwaraye 6-5, 320 5.05 Nebraska -- OK so Nebraska isn't exactly UMASS-Dartmouth, but Evwaraye is as raw as you can get. Native of Finland. Great strength, little technique. Maybe lend him to the Bruins during the offseason.
NT Chris Herring 6-0, 315 5.15 Southern Arkansas
DE Roderkus Wright 6-4, 275 4.95 Grossmont
CB Tramon Williams 5-11, 184 4.61 Louisiana Tech
CB Brent Grimes 5-10, 175 4.48 Shippensburg

Last edited:
Ingle Martin Furman QB

I would like to see him in the late rounds. The Elliott guy from Linfield sounds interesting. I was high on Pinegar early but soured on him late in the year. I thought he gave up too many interceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back