PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hating on Boomer Esiason

Status
Not open for further replies.
No joke, i have to have subtitles on when he talks.

We need the little 'sign language in a bubble' guy for Shannon Sharpe.

Still, it was gratifying to hear Mr. "Call the National Guard" call us the Gold Standard.

I have ZERO respect for Boomer. He is one of many reasons I literally never watch ESPN unless there is a live sporting event.

I did, however, catch myself reading the Patriots blog on ESPNBoston, because I like Mike Reiss. There was video of Trent Dilfer and Merril Hoge really breaking it down, mixing it up, talkin' X's and O's, chalk talk, real insider stuff just two guys gettin after [trails off, vomits in throat]. Foolishly, I watched it.

The first thing that Merril Hoge says in the segment was after Trent Dilfer pointed out that credit was due to Dante Scarnecchia, the offensive line coach of the Patriots for over 30 years. Hoge says "Ok really, wow, I didn't know that, somebody like that needs to deserves some credit."

Hoge's job, HIS JOB, is to cover the 32 teams in the NFL. Dante has been the offensive line coach of the most successful of those 32 (not 302) for the entire time he has covered the NFL. How could you not know that?

Oh, I guess I know how you could not know that. You're Merril Hoge. You're a complete stooge. Yet he still does the smug slow head shake that all of the morons on ESPN who would never be hired by an NFL team do. The slow, "yes yes, I speak the language of football for I played football and I'm on this network" shaking of head that they all do on their stupid, pointless, daily football shows.

Goodness, I honestly watch no ESPN analysis and when I do, I'm instantly reminded as to why.

Merril Hoge has that hair in real life and goes on TV with that hair. Merril says nothing other than the ridiculous "I didn't know that" comment until over 2 minutes in to the segment, and then just says stupid things that any person ever who has ever watched more than 3 football games with the sound on could say. He talks for slightly over a minute, and says nothing even remotely insightful or intelligent. He does this constantly, on television, and makes lots of money for it. He does drop this absolute gem:

"In THIS league, we don't talk enough about, is a smart football." He is an incredibly stupid person.

Also, Trent Dilfer watches film, knows the names of people, and knows a little bit about football. You would think that Merril Hoge would be very embarrassed to be on a show with him, seeing as how he seems to do next to no prep work at all, and knows near nothing about the sport. But, being an incredibly stupid person, he probably does not even know that Trent knows the things he knows. For he is Merril Hoge, professional stupid person.

Patriots-Colts Recap - ESPN Video - ESPN

Not for nothing but I really think we should all refer to spy gate as cry gate. I think it makes a great point of how much over reaction it's really was.

Boomer esiason or Berman?

Over the last decade and a half nobody has been as in the Pats corner as much as Boomer.

He's right - their legacy is tarnished. What you or I might think about spygate doesn't matter, it happened and got handled the way it was handled and gave everyone a convenient excuse to handwave away our success in the early 2000s.

The only cure is more Super Bowl rings. I'm fine with that.

You give way too much credit to the public's memory. How many pundits on TV who have been talking about BB this season have mentioned "Spygate"?
The whole thing, rightfully so, is quickly finding its way to the scrap heap of man's propensity to fixate and exaggerate nonsense. The Y2K bug is there, duct tape for the upcoming chemical terrorist attack, peanut butter and cancer, Rob Lowe is a child molester, etc etc etc etc etc etc. It looks like even the Kardashians are finally on there way there. The vast majority of normal fans are not just past it, it's all but forgotten to them (keyword 'normal"). And anyone in the know, like Boomer ought to be, should applaud that happening versus looking to prop up idiocy.

People are prone to letting their visceral-emotional reactions rule their brains (see the game day thread for example). That just is what it is with the human condition. Fortunately sufficient time, sometimes, sorts out the nonsense (the visceral-emotional is removed with time). And the only place I hear the term "Spygate" is here, or in places that are monuments to man's thoughtlessness and overreaction (Internet posting boards). Internet posting boards, no offense Patsfan.com, are utterly irrelevant because of the proliferation of the outlying stupid.
Boomer was classless and a jerk for saying it. I know that these guys are on the spot to quickly come up with soundbites to fill there 20 second spots, and it can cause ill thought sentences, but that was a real low point for him.

not for nothing but i really think we should all refer to spy gate as cry gate. I think it makes a great point of how much over reaction it's really was.

Crygate!

I love it!

Yes I agree , it was a low point for Boomer, but with that he goes on toucher and rich every week (years before D&C), and from all the years he's been on CBS he's always admired the work of this team. I don't find him to be a "hater" of this team at all. Not to mention, the legacy of this team, in particularly of this era is still being written. Boomer wasn't preparing BB HOF induction speech.

I know Spygate a sensitive subject around here, but its something that's going to be a part of this team history, just like the tuck rule. This team public enemy #1, we are the bad guys outside of this region. Embrace it. Its never going to go back to being the way it was before all this success. Haters will always hate, but intelligent fans will always know the truth.

It was Boomer Esiason, while the Patriots were in the tunnel waiting to be introduced as a team. To his credit, he mentioned Eric Rat Snitch Ingrate Mangina as the rat, although he continues to mispronounce his name as Mangini.

I know the guys from WEEI read this messageboard, so please call him out on this on Monday morning when he is on the show. It was an unnecessary reminder to American football fans about why they should hate the Patriots and Bill Belichick.

It was an inappropriate atttempt to tarnish the reputation of the coach about to tie Don Shula for the 2nd most playoff wins of all time (one behind Tom Landry.)

The Y2K bug is there, duct tape...

Or one that actually ~was~ hurtful: Vick's dog fighting. Contrary to all declarations by fans and media at the time, I knew the guy would be quietly accepted back into football.

Maybe if Vick was more successful, jealousy would make fans and media bring up his transgression... that's the only reason Cry-Gate gets mentioned: jealousy

It just seemed unprofessional to me, and disrespectful to Bill Cowher. He looked pissed, and rightly so.

It just seemed unprofessional to me, and disrespectful to Bill Cowher. He looked pissed, and rightly so.

You could tell from the stares and silence that the rest of those fellows thought Boomer had crossed the line. It's obvious they wanted to say something but held back because of their own professionalism. As much as I wish they'd lit into Boomer right then and there, I understand why they didn't. They'd have been dragged down to his level, right then and there on national TV, live, and that wouldn't have done anything but feed the trolls and the mediots, giving them more faux material for their Sunday rags and talking head shows.

Having said that, I emailed the show with my disgust at Boomer's comment. Not that it will do any good, but if enough people did, perhaps it would bring out some sort of mea culpa from him. Likely not, as he's got an ego to match his mouth, but what I wouldn't give to have been a fly on the wall when the show went to commercial break. :D

Having said that, I emailed the show with my disgust at Boomer's comment. Not that it will do any good, but if enough people did, perhaps it would bring out some sort of mea culpa from him. Likely not, as he's got an ego to match his mouth, but what I wouldn't give to have been a fly on the wall when the show went to commercial break. :D

If enough people email the show, the network, which is always hungry for some sort of controversy to pontificate endlessly about, will probably send Boomer to interview BB about the spygate subject.

Avoiding all of the pre-game shows is pretty much the best thing to do. I've been doing that for the last 2 seasons now. I got tired of hearing what often felt like constant anti-Patriot agenda.

You could tell from the stares and silence that the rest of those fellows thought Boomer had crossed the line. It's obvious they wanted to say something but held back because of their own professionalism. As much as I wish they'd lit into Boomer right then and there, I understand why they didn't. They'd have been dragged down to his level, right then and there on national TV, live, and that wouldn't have done anything but feed the trolls and the mediots, giving them more faux material for their Sunday rags and talking head shows.

This is exactly it. It was a "feel good" moment for Bill Cowher after the interview with Belichick and he was basking in the limelight until Boomer Esiason, out of nowhere, throws a wet towel on the party by bringing up Spygate.

It was a shock to the system and I don't care how much Boomer Esiason has supported the Pats in the past, that one moment will make me hate him for life. I don't ever want to hear another word come out of his mouth again. He's muted forever, the damned asshat.

Yeah, I'm still pissed.

Really surprised Boomer did that. He's usually spot on in praising the work of the Pats. I like when he does their games, usually...

I wish NFLN would do an hour special on spygate and put it out there, all the facts...I hate it when a team that accomplished so much gets "tainted" like that; my sense of justice is insulted. Bad enough we get to see ex-Rams players on the air every week with their "I'm just saying" innuendo...

This year's darling team, the Seahawks, had how many people nailed for juicing last year and this? The Panthers that went to the Superbowl against the Pats...same thing.

Regarding this:

I did, however, catch myself reading the Patriots blog on ESPNBoston, because I like Mike Reiss. There was video of Trent Dilfer and Merril Hoge really breaking it down, mixing it up, talkin' X's and O's, chalk talk, real insider stuff just two guys gettin after [trails off, vomits in throat]. Foolishly, I watched it.

The first thing that Merril Hoge says in the segment was after Trent Dilfer pointed out that credit was due to Dante Scarnecchia, the offensive line coach of the Patriots for over 30 years. Hoge says "Ok really, wow, I didn't know that, somebody like that needs to deserves some credit."

I watched these guys on Friday (I think it was) picking the games this weekend. I usually don't play into the Manning-Brady stuff...I think they're both amazing, but this one really stunned me.

They picked the games in order, so the Pats were up second. Hoge launched into a "Brady's only 7-7 in the last 14 playoff games. No one's afraid of the Patriots anymore" diatribe where he took several shots at Brady. Okay, fair enough.

Two minutes later, they were on the Broncos' game, where one of the guys pointed out Manning's post-season woes...the IMMEDIATE response? "Well, you can't take away from his greatness because of that! He had inferior defenses. None of it was on him."

I really could not believe what I had just heard. I wish I could find that clip.

Does anyone have a video or transcript of the comments?

Why do you guys still watch pre game shows? I stopped doing that years ago. It's a waste of time.

Why do you guys still watch pre game shows? I stopped doing that years ago. It's a waste of time.

Agreed, but you usually have it on before the game. The spygate remark was classless, and I rarely care about that stuff.

I don't honestly get how Esiason gets so many jobs. He's just a really dull guy who brings nothing to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back