Welcome to PatsFans.com

Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009 is the end of First Amendment?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by NEPatriot, Jun 8, 2009.

1. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

GovTrack: H.R. 1913: Text of Legislation, Referred in Senate

The key word here is 'perceive'. I can't say anything bad thing about Obama because it's perceived as a 'hate crime' .

You also check out the video for the interview.

BARBER: These laws should go - Washington Times

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +223 / 6 / -7

Yes, as you quoted, if you (1) commit an act of violence, (2) commit a felony, AND (3) are motivated by your perception of someone race, gender, etc., the feds can step in and help investigate. This is especially important in jurisdictions where the local police may have their own biases or funding problems that discourage them from fully investigating a crime. You can say something bad about Obama, but you better not commit a felony in the course of doing so, and better not commit that felony because of Obama's perceived race.
  3. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

'Hate crimes' bill is covering a lot things. Please re-read my first post because the "Senate version" covers more. I added a senate version to the post.

It's really scary.
  4. Patters

Ratings:
    +223 / 6 / -7

Please don't quote more than 3 or 4 sentences of copyrighted material. It's against the rules, not just of the forum, but patsfans.com.

Now, as to your point. Hate crimes laws are designed to address issues of unfair justice. It is almost unheard for a police department, prosecutor, or jury to discriminate in their handling of crime directed at children, the elderly, or veterans (though like anything else it probably does happen on rare occasion). However, there is ample evidence that sometimes people who are victims of a crime do not get justice because of their race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability. Incidentally, hate crimes laws apply to white people, straight people, and Christians, not just minorities.
  5. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

you don't follow the rules, why should anyone else?
  6. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Does that apply to proposed legislation? I wouldn't think it was copyright protected and fits in that narrow exception (e.g. Bible)to the 3-4 sentence rule....
  7. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +56 / 14 / -9

Does this mean Chris Rock is going to go to jail for calling me a cracker?
  8. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

Not if you are one......
  9. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +458 / 6 / -9

Twenty threads a day and not a whit of understanding of any issues is the end of Patsfans.com political forum?

:)

You guys wish.

Read my lips. You. Are. Irrelevant.

PS, let me save you the trouble...

"...and yet you never refutes a whirred I say..."

Yah, we constantly refute all your nutso crap in greater depth than any of your lame premises.

"...and YOU and EVERYBODY LIKE YOU should be EXECUTED and your COMMITTING GENOCIDE AGAINST MY HUMAN RIGHT BECAUS I GOT BAND!"

And how could that have ever happened?

You're strictly fielder's choice dude. You're posting a dozen threads a day with no understanding of the issues... half the time you mess up and accidently mis-read then take the opposite side of what you posted before figuring out what's supposed to be your point.

I'm assuming you're some sort of Ali G/Borat/Bruno kind of internet persona. But it's definitely high comedy, whether intended or not.

Anyway - thanks for the laughs. On the off chance you're for real, good luck in getting a better grasp of any number of topics. It's late, and it's a waste of time to name them all. The number of things you don't know a damn thing about could fill an encyclopedia. Wait, it does fill encyclopedias, as well as other books. Read some of them.

Now then, I have to go get children to report their parents for thoughtcrime so I can send them to the Wind Farms and reindoctrinate their children for the Obama Youth Corps... :rolleyes:

PFnV
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +450 / 6 / -2

He's the right wing NEM guys. Annoying for sure, but well within his rights to post 100 threads a day. Also, if you never complained about NEM, then STFU about NEP. I have no clue what he's typing half the time, and ignore most of his threads, and yes, he is annoying. :D

As for hates crimes, I'm not a big fan.
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +223 / 6 / -7

You're right. I'm only concerned about copyrighted material, and did not choose the best thread of NEPatriot's to make that request. Thanks for point it out!
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +223 / 6 / -7

What are you talking about? I certainly do follow the rules.