Welcome to PatsFans.com

Hasn't Gostkowski earned it??

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Schmo, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schmo

Schmo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

On the fourth and 3 on the 23 yd line, I had an immediate flashback to the game that shall not be mentioned. But then I thought to myself, "No way! BB will let Gostkowski kick this and put some points up on the board. I mean, Gostkowski has proven himself by now." But no.

As good as Cassel was this game, he got sacked and we lost a potential 3 points. Ummm WTF?!? I know it was 24-6 and another field goal just didn't seem like enough, but it was only the second quarter. A field goal would have brought us to within 2 scores.

It just seems like this has happened too often. Maybe I'm only thinking of this game and the super bowl (oops, I mentioned it), but these points early in the game could be the difference maker.
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +254 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

I'd have kicked the FG but that had nothing to do with a lack of confidence in Gotti, just trying for a spark with a first down then TD.
  3. PrairiePat

PrairiePat Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

#32 Jersey

I thought we needed a TD at that spot in the game, and I'm assuming BB did too. The Jets were rolling up points and we had already had 2 drives bog down for FG's earlier.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with BB's trust in Gost - he's been money his whole career here.
  4. CheerforTom

CheerforTom Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yeah, this is one of those calls that's easy to make now, but for the offense to settle for yet another field goal in that situation would have basically been saying "we don't want to win the game". It wasn't a commentary on Gostkowski.

In related Gost news, this game boosted his pro-bowl stock. He not only drained a longer kick than he's used to but it was in a very clutch situation.
  5. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +181 / 4 / -5

I'll say this again--in most cases, especially deep in opposing territory, you're better off going for it than you are kicking. The only significant exceptions are if you're in fourth and forever, or not between the 10s. In this particular case, I actually expected Belichick to go for it.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  6. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0

if bb had kicked a FG, this board wouldve gone in flames.
  7. PatsFan24

PatsFan24 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

i thought from the start they should have kicked it because it was still the first half
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.