PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Has your Patriots football enthusiasm dropped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Defiant Goose

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Is it just me, or has anyone else's enthusiasm dropped for football and maybe even a little bit for the Pats? I mean I was pretty hyped about the week 1 win, but that's really all about it for me. The wins have been "Cool." The losses have been "Oh well." Even the AFCCG in Denver last year, while it sucked for about 2 days, didn't have a lingering effect on my mood like the 2010 divisional round loss did. I wonder if it's the Super Bowl win that has kind of "relieved" me as a fan and made me not so tied up in how I feel after a win or a loss. I wonder if it's because of Defamegate. Maybe I'm just getting old. There used to be a time where I watched every game and cheered like it was the Super Bowl. Now nothing really excites or bothers me. Apparently I'm not the only one (with the decline in NFL ratings) but it's weird that I'm less enthusiastic about the team and not just the NFL

giphy.gif

Lol maybe I'll see how I feel during the playoffs. I know that sounds entitled and spoiled but I guess knowing that, barring you-know-what, the Patriots are going to be in the postseason kinda makes the regular season seem like watching 5 hours of previews before the award-winning movie

Sports tend to get a little less important to you as you get older. As for the Pats, they make the AFC Championship game pretty much every year...one reason game 1 might have been more exciting is because they were underdogs, which doesn't happen much anymore.

Last edited:
My experience: the older I have gotten, the less amount of importance the games have to me. 96' SB was pretty bad, 06' AFCCG and 07' SB were probably worst. However, I have stopped living and dying with every game. Takes a lot of stress out of life. I enjoy looking for silver linens.

my enthusiasm for this forum has nose dived recently with all the diva attitudes about how ****ty the pats are after losing a close game, and then following it up by winning in a blowout.

My experience: the older I have gotten, the less amount of importance the games have to me. 96' SB was pretty bad, 06' AFCCG and 07' SB were probably worst. However, I have stopped living and dying with every game. Takes a lot of stress out of life. I enjoy looking for silver linens.
this....I'm still a huge fan, but win or lose...it's just entertainment and doesn't effect my life.

my enthusiasm for this forum has nose dived recently with all the diva attitudes about how ****ty the pats are after losing a close game, and then following it up by winning in a blowout.

Agreed, after a loss I hardly peek in here for the next week.

If the Pats go on a losing streak, or come back to the NFL* induced parity, I will probably be gone for good.

Is it just me, or has anyone else's enthusiasm dropped for football and maybe even a little bit for the Pats? I mean I was pretty hyped about the week 1 win, but that's really all about it for me. The wins have been "Cool." The losses have been "Oh well." Even the AFCCG in Denver last year, while it sucked for about 2 days, didn't have a lingering effect on my mood like the 2010 divisional round loss did. I wonder if it's the Super Bowl win that has kind of "relieved" me as a fan and made me not so tied up in how I feel after a win or a loss. I wonder if it's because of Defamegate. Maybe I'm just getting old. There used to be a time where I watched every game and cheered like it was the Super Bowl. Now nothing really excites or bothers me. Apparently I'm not the only one (with the decline in NFL ratings) but it's weird that I'm less enthusiastic about the team and not just the NFL
Actually I pretty much still live for NFL Sunday and of course especially the Pats. I do think there is some credence to the 4th SB win reducing a bit of the "stress" of being fan. (though it feels silly to say "stress" certainly self allowed if we are all super stressed about sports)

My enthusiasm for watching other games has dropped. I only watch Pats games now, and barely ever watch any of the others.

After a loss I don't even watch any other football. It's in the NYJFL* best interest for the Pats to destroy everyone on a weekly basis so I watch other games.

I couldn't get up and cheer for the Pats when Brady was making great plays near the end of the game because I was too disappointed with the performance of the game.
So there's that I guess...

Personally no. Im big into not just betting, but just the spreads in general. I like to watch all I can

Lol maybe I'll see how I feel during the playoffs. I know that sounds entitled and spoiled but I guess knowing that, barring you-know-what, the Patriots are going to be in the postseason kinda makes the regular season seem like watching 5 hours of previews before the award-winning movie
Think of watching the games this way... Brady is only going to go out there and do this a finite amount of times left.. Yesterday, though his completions % was down, (60%) he looked amazing, and made amazing plays, even for him. The fewer and fewer times left the he going out in the uniform the more I want to watch.

I've watched the Patriots for 40 years and I will say this is the first year that my level of enthusiasm has dropped. I still watch and enjoy every Patriots game but I don't get hyped over each win and crushed with each loss like I used to. I don't even bother to schedule family events around Patriots games like I used to.
I don't even see every minute of the games I do watch. I used to watch 4 or 5 NFL games a week and now I watch 1 or 2.

I like the Patriots but I really don't care about the NFL in general anymore. I think we all have strong opinions on what is wrong with the NFL so I don't need to add anything. I imagine when the playoffs begin, my interest and stress levels will increase to normal. It's funny, I was more excited and interested in the games that Brady was not playing then I am in the ones that he does play. Brady is so good that he takes a bit of the excitement of the unknown out of the game.

The Cappuccinos and sex haven't been as good as they used to be before that first loss.

Life sure is rough being only 8-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye