PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Has Willie lost a step?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger44

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Oh sure, Willie Mags may be older, but an interesting thing occured to me. I do not believe he has lost a step. A little slower? Maybe, but he just gets better and better. He is like a fine wine. He gets smarter and more clever with every year. I am excited that he doesn't need replacing as of yet. A back up? Yes, but not replacing. Let's hope the restructure goes well.

I agree, his leadership, knowledge and instinct makes up for him slowing down a bit, even in the Izzo situation he showed his passion and expectations of fellow players.

I think that Wilie has still acouple of good years left in him. This is the last year of his contract.

I hope that he extends it a couple of years and gives the team a couple of million in asdditional cap space.

For a guy who some questioned whether he was too injury prone or had enough drive, he's had a pretty darn good career.

The key to Willie now is how he is used. If he's asked to play too much I think you'll see some of his age show. If they use him selectively you'll see the energy and speed that has allowed him to be involved in so many pivitol plays over the recent years.

Let's just hope that Willie recognizes his more limited role and isn't expecting an unreasonable salary.

It's not so much if he has lost a step but when will he. He can't go on forever and the Patriots have to be careful to be locked in for a short enough time that they aren't "stuck" with him.

Is this a rhetorical question? Of course he's lost a step. However, that's more than offset by his increased ability to read the play.

JoeSixPat said:
For a guy who some questioned whether he was too injury prone or had enough drive, he's had a pretty darn good career.

The key to Willie now is how he is used. If he's asked to play too much I think you'll see some of his age show. If they use him selectively you'll see the energy and speed that has allowed him to be involved in so many pivitol plays over the recent years.

Let's just hope that Willie recognizes his more limited role and isn't expecting an unreasonable salary.

Good point. That is why it's imoprtant that we get an ILB so Vrabes can go back to his OLB position. Then we have a good rotation with Willie, Vrable, Rosey, TBC, and maybe another. This helps keep them all fresh and gives Willie the breathers that he needs.

PATSNUTme said:
Good point. That is why it's imoprtant that we get an ILB so Vrabes can go back to his OLB position. Then we have a good rotation with Willie, Vrable, Rosey, TBC, and maybe another. This helps keep them all fresh and gives Willie the breathers that he needs.

I saw nothing from TBC in 2005 that said his PT might be increasing in 2006. Much like Klecko I thought TBC fell off the map in 2005 after showing promise in 2004. Even as the LB situation was at it's most desperate TBC didn't see much if any playing time so I'm not sure how much he's 'in the plans' for our future at LB. He may have played more than I remember, but I remember thinking all season long that he and Klecko were just gone more than I thought they'd be.

Willie already has his own production company and will look to broadcasting after his career is over. Willie by all accounts has been very smart with his money. I think that he also sees that his image will do better if he retires as a Pat. He is also very close to some big time NFL records, he already owns the most sacks in the playoffs. I think he stays with the Pats, he is still a great football player and has at least two more seasons in him.
Plus of course, he is NEM's favorite Pat.

I honestly thought Willie was going to be cut when BB arrived. He has surpassed my expectations. I had NO idea that he'd be the NFL's postseason sack leader either. Go figure.

Thanks Willie. Definetly extend that contract for one more year to save cap $.

"stuck" with willie ray?

BelichickFan said:
It's not so much if he has lost a step but when will he. He can't go on forever and the Patriots have to be careful to be locked in for a short enough time that they aren't "stuck" with him.
'06 is his last contract year. there's a big cap hit in there. patriots can extend him till the cows come home. or just cut the guy, like they did with troy brown last year, and there goes $8 million that patriots agreed to pay him. willie will swallow some of that but not all. patriots gotta eat some part of it sooner or later.
the nfl is a league where a team can void a contract by simply releasing the player. to my knowledge that's not even an issue with the current negotiations.
so the sticky part is working the bonus and the cap. you see how the patriots can work it. so can every other team.
so if the $8 million is the issue, patriots are "stuck" with willie ray right now.

ilduce06410 said:
so if the $8 million is the issue, patriots are "stuck" with willie ray right now.
I meant stuck with him as : big cap hit, big cap hit to cut and done as a player. As an example let's say Dillon is done, and I'm not saying he is, we're stuck with a done player who costs $6M or so in 2006 whether we cut him or not.

yeah dillon's the one

BelichickFan said:
I meant stuck with him as : big cap hit, big cap hit to cut and done as a player. As an example let's say Dillon is done, and I'm not saying he is, we're stuck with a done player who costs $6M or so in 2006 whether we cut him or not.
for corey:
cap figure if he plays: $4.5 million...cap figure if he's cut: $5.4. million
for willie:
cap figure if he plays: $8.3 millon.... cap figure if he's cut:$1.3 million.
i just hope willie doesn't get p!$$ed off.

ilduce06410 said:
for corey:
cap figure if he plays: $4.5 million...cap figure if he's cut: $5.4. million
for willie:
cap figure if he plays: $8.3 millon.... cap figure if he's cut:$1.3 million.
i just hope willie doesn't get p!$$ed off.
Right, we just need to make sure that whenever Willie is done his numbers don't look like Dillon's do above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back