PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Has the redux of the 2007 season gone astray??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would prefer a 2004 redux.

Last edited:
Since our team won their first 18 games and lost the one that really truly counted, the 2007 season was a unique stink bomb. Early on, blow-outs were routine. As the season progressed, teams made adjustments and the scores were closer and closer. The Patriots barely squeaked by the Eagles, Ravens, and Giants. It would be much better to start off a little bit shaky and improve drastically down the home stretch. No?

Since our team won their first 18 games and lost the one that really truly counted, the 2007 season was a unique stink bomb. Early on, blow-outs were routine. As the season progressed, teams made adjustments and the scores were closer and closer. The Patriots barely squeaked by the Eagles, Ravens, and Giants. It would be much better to start off a little bit shaky and improve drastically down the home stretch. No?

It seems to work for the defending champs...

People misremember that 2007 season. The Patriots were scoring in the 30s for the first 5 weeks. They then began pasting teams (4 games in a 5 game stretch, with a 24-20 win against the Colts sandwiched in there). After that, they put up 31 against Philly (#9 defense), 27 against Baltimore (windy night) and 34 against the Steelers (#2 defense), before screwing around against the Jets and Dolphins, and then finishing up with another 38 point game against the Giants.

What really happened in 2007 was that the Patriots faced off against the best teams on their schedule later on in the season. Combined with weather conditions become less friendly, it was expected that the numbers would fall.

I hated that season. Hated it. There was a dark foreboding cloud on the horizon that approached close in December when it became obvious that the top notch defensive coordinators on the NFL had figured out how to throttle down the NE offense. Point disparity dropped and the games became close. While the kool aiders rejoiced, I never felt the comfort of the SB winning seasons that lacked the tragic Achilles heel of the 2007 style team.

Margin of Victory

Attachments

• Pats Margin of Victory 2007.jpg
    Pats Margin of Victory 2007.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Why would you want a redux of a season most here still can't even talk rationally about.

This season was supposed to be shaping up to be 2011 with a better ending. No reason it still can't be, unless of course the OL takes a step back.

The unbeaten regular season was as good as a Superbowl for me. It was something really special achieved by the New England Patriots. Its not something that is even done annually. The Patriots were the first to do it in a 16 game regular season.

Hell I sat and watched when the Patriots couldn't win more than 6 games in a season over a 5 year period. I cannot understand how people wouldn't be able to talk about 2007. It sounds a bit like fans who have come along since the success in New England began and expect too much all the time.

Last edited:
... and the 2007 NFL Season ... it lives now, only in my distant memories.

Last edited:
The league is different than it was five years ago. It has become a TE centric league. I never expected to see a redux of 2007.

This team is built around the middle of the field with Gronk, Hernandez, and Welker and not around Moss and Welker like 2007. Lloyd will provide an outside and deep threat, but more importantly he will take off inside defensive pressure on the TEs and Welker.

I never saw a lot of similarities between the two offenses even when they brought back Gaffney and Stallworth. The whole philosophy of this offense has changed since then and McDaniels is going to build around that not try to bring it to the 2007 form again.

Last edited:
People misremember that 2007 season. The Patriots were scoring in the 30s for the first 5 weeks. They then began pasting teams (4 games in a 5 game stretch, with a 24-20 win against the Colts sandwiched in there). After that, they put up 31 against Philly (#9 defense), 27 against Baltimore (windy night) and 34 against the Steelers (#2 defense), before screwing around against the Jets and Dolphins, and then finishing up with another 38 point game against the Giants.

What really happened in 2007 was that the Patriots faced off against the best teams on their schedule later on in the season. Combined with weather conditions become less friendly, it was expected that the numbers would fall.

I think they actually faced the best teams first. After they played the Colts, the Steelers and Bills were the only 2 teams they played with a winning record if my memory serves me right. The Eagles and Ravens were not good that year though. It was more of a "blue print" that help the games be closer than it should have been. The Ravens played their butts off on Monday night in addition to the emotions of Sean Taylor's death contributing. Beginning in November, the Patriots were receiving EVERYONE'S best shot including the Giants because the perfect season hype started early.

I think they actually faced the best teams first. After they played the Colts, the Steelers and Bills were the only 2 teams they played with a winning record if my memory serves me right. The Eagles and Ravens were not good that year though. It was more of a "blue print" that help the games be closer than it should have been. The Ravens played their butts off on Monday night in addition to the emotions of Sean Taylor's death contributing. Beginning in November, the Patriots were receiving EVERYONE'S best shot including the Giants because the perfect season hype started early.

That was the year the Browns pulled a 10 win season out of their backside. They weren't better than the Eagles, but Brady put up 380 yards against those Eagles when the "blueprint" :rolleyes: was being born. Weather was a factor in multiple games, including the Ravens game, where Brady was clearly affected by the wind. The Patriots put up 28 in the first half against the Dolphins, and then spent the rest of that game throwing bombs to try getting Moss the record, even though the Dolphins were playing to defend just that. How was that blueprint looking on week 16, after the Patriots offense put up 38 against the Giants?

Breaking one particular game down a bit more, to show my point:

The Patriots put up 38 against the 11-5 Chargers, in the second game of the season. Must be because the Patriots were bringing out something the Chargers couldn't handle, right, and that this was about the overwhelming Patriots at the beginning of the year? Problem is, the Chargers started off 1-3, and gave up 38, 31 and 30 points in those three losses. Of the 5 losses the Chargers had that regular season, 4 of them had them give up 30+, with the other being a 35 point game against the Vikings in week 9. The Chargers were actually only 5-5 after their first 10 games (again, surrendering 30+ points in 4 of those 5 losses), and then went on a 6 game regular season winning streak to end the year.

Last edited:
nobody can't touch what an amazing season '07 was tho I still can't watch SB 42 in depth lol I just want them to win it this year no matter what

That was a great season. Just because it ended badly, does not change the fact that no team ever went 18-0 before.

I don't get Patriots fans who want to "forget" about that season.

I have t-shirts that proudly say "Undefeated Season, 16-0" on them and wear them with pride.

I, also, have one that says Super Bowl Champions and the words 19-0 underneath it. (Got it on E-bay. They are the ones shipped overseas to kids that live in poor conditions) I do not wear that one but merely have kept it, and will send it to my grandkids as a collectors item.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes