PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Has the redux of the 2007 season gone astray??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
When McDaniels had in his wide receiver stable, in pre season, the combination of Lloyd, Welker, Stallworth and Gaffney, I was thinking that we had the makings of redoing that great offensive season of 2007 with the same players on the roster with the exception of Lloyd replacing Moss.

That team put up fantastic numbers.

Now Stallworth and Gaffney are gone. So, that brings up the question, should they have retained both Gaffney and Stallworth instead of releasing Branch and going with Slater and Edelman, instead and of course, the addition of Salas?

I was kind of thinking of 2007 redux.

Why would you want a redux of a season most here still can't even talk rationally about.

This season was supposed to be shaping up to be 2011 with a better ending. No reason it still can't be, unless of course the OL takes a step back.

Beleive it or not, the Pats offense changes every season.

IMO, were are going to see an emphasis on running the ball this season.

I can name 13 players on that team that could be considered dominant at their positions:

Brady
Welker
Moss
Light
Mankins
Koppen
Seymour
Wilfork
Bruschi
Vrabel
Samuel
Harrison
A Thomas/Colvin

I can name 7 on the current team:

Brady
Gronkowski
Hernandez
Welker
Mankins
Mayo
Wilfork

This ain't '07. But they can go further than the 07 team if a few more guys step up.

If we're just talking about offense, people forget that Moss was a Madden create-a-player with all 99s for the first half of the season.

Last edited:
Now Stallworth and Gaffney are gone. So, that brings up the question, should they have retained both Gaffney and Stallworth instead of releasing Branch and going with Slater and Edelman, instead and of course, the addition of Salas?

Age must have been a factor.

Next year, Branch 34, Gaffney 33 and Stallworth 33 all on the wrong side of 30.

Slater 28, Edelman 27 and Salas 25. Hopefully, Slater is showing something in the passing game.

When McDaniels had in his wide receiver stable, in pre season, the combination of Lloyd, Welker, Stallworth and Gaffney, I was thinking that we had the makings of redoing that great offensive season of 2007 with the same players on the roster with the exception of Lloyd replacing Moss.

That team put up fantastic numbers.

I was kind of thinking of 2007 redux.

Well IMHO Lloyd, Wes, Gronk, AH are better than Moss, Wes, Gaffney & Stallworth.

RB group at least a push, Ridley >>> Maroney, Faulk >> Woodhead, Vareen & Bolden better upside than backups in 2007.

The OL remains to be seen.

Age must have been a factor.

Next year, Branch 34, Gaffney 33 and Stallworth 33 all on the wrong side of 30.

Slater 28, Edelman 27 and Salas 25. Hopefully, Slater is showing something in the passing game.

If we're relying on Slater for the 2012 passing game I won't let myself get emotionally invested in the upcoming season train wreck. Speed straight away, hands of wood and little go get the ball sense.

Last edited:
I can name 13 players on that team that could be considered dominant at their positions:

Brady
Welker
Moss
Light
Mankins
Koppen
Seymour
Wilfork
Bruschi
Vrabel
Samuel
Harrison
A Thomas/Colvin

Brady
Gronkowski
Hernandez
Welker
Mankins
Mayo
Wilfork

This ain't '07. But they can go further than the 07 team if a few more guys step up.

If we're just talking about offense, people forget that Moss was a Madden create-a-player with all 99s for the first half of the season.

Not that I think this team is better than 2007, but....

There is no way that Bruschi, Thomas/Colvin, Harrison were "dominant" in 2007. No way. I'd extend that to include Seymour as well. He missed half the season in 2007 and Jarvis Green outplayed him....though Sey certainly was dominant in '08.

That's all.

Brady
Welker
Moss
Light
Mankins
Koppen
Seymour
Wilfork
Bruschi
Vrabel
Samuel
Harrison
A Thomas/Colvin

Brady
Gronkowski
Hernandez
Welker
Mankins
Mayo
Wilfork

Bruschi, at this point he had lost a step, no, Koppen, never thought of him as dominant, always very good, no,Thomas/Covin, nope never dominant, certainly no, Samuel, lots of interceptions very good, dominant, meh maybe, so now we are down to 9 vs 7.
At this time in 2007 we had no idea about Welker and Moss, who knows who will step up this year. So, both years start at 7 vs 7.

Last edited:
No disrespect to the OP when I say this, but there needs to be a filter on the board that removes any mention of the 2007 season. Just thinking about SB42 hurts. I must make it a point to avoid the NFL Network this week, no doubt there will be lots of SB42 and SB46 footage this week...:bricks:

<< Isaiah 43:18 >>

"Do not call to mind the former things, Or ponder things of the past."

With 2 of the top TE's in the league and a continuation of the 2 TE offense, a redux of 2007 was never in the cards. Potential to be just as dominant, but not in the same manner.

Stallworth, Gaffney, Branch, etc were pretty much brought in (it appears) to see which would be kept for one position. I still believe either Branch or Gaffney will be back.

Why would you want a redux of a season most here still can't even talk rationally about.

A season in which a team went 16-0 for the first time in league history? Yeah, why would we want that?

We all talk about the Super Bowl as a tramatic day but that's mostly because of the high expectations going in. After all, it's not like we got blown out. We were a few plays away from winning that game. It was a hard fought game in which we came out on the wrong side. There is no shame in that.

So would I want a team that is just as good as that team. HELL YEAH, because this time the hard fought Super Bowl game might just go our way.

No disrespect to the OP when I say this, but there needs to be a filter on the board that removes any mention of the 2007 season. Just thinking about SB42 hurts. I must make it a point to avoid the NFL Network this week, no doubt there will be lots of SB42 and SB46 footage this week...:bricks:

Of course it hurts, but c'mon, let's not pretend that this wasn't a good team. It was a GREAT team, quite possibly the GREATEST in NFL HISTORY.

You say you want to avoid it as if it's the plague.

The '91 season, sure, you want to avoid that like the plague. Let's not put the 2007 season in the same category as the 1991 season.

I hated that season. Hated it. There was a dark foreboding cloud on the horizon that approached close in December when it became obvious that the top notch defensive coordinators on the NFL had figured out how to throttle down the NE offense. Point disparity dropped and the games became close. While the kool aiders rejoiced, I never felt the comfort of the SB winning seasons that lacked the tragic Achilles heel of the 2007 style team.

The GFY reunion tour is on hold and will probably be cancelled.

Just referring to the 16 game regular season, a season that may never be replicated, or beaten, by any team in the NFL.

That was a great season. Just because it ended badly, does not change the fact that no team ever went 18-0 before.

I don't get Patriots fans who want to "forget" about that season.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with wanting to savor the positive out of 2007 or any season. :cool:

But to target a 2007 kind of team ~ weak Run Game, aging Defense ~ would be incredibly foolish.

And fortunately, Mad Bill is showing no such inclination.

The 2012 team ~ even had those guys all stuck around ~ at no point resembled the 2007 team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes