Welcome to PatsFans.com

Has the recession affected anyone here personally?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Run DMC, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Run DMC

Run DMC In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +43 / 7 / -7

#24 Jersey

I was wondering. I would like to bring this economic slowdown to real, palpable terms. I work in the healthcare field in a 100 bed community hospital in Arizona. So far, we've seen some minor cutbacks in the hours of aux. personnel, but nothing other than that. My personal spending habits are the same as they always were, in other words, I'm a cheap New England prikk. :D
    Anyone feeling this yet? Please check in with your 2 cents(or 1.5 cents, adjusted for deflation):

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +818 / 27 / -33

Not so much me but my family, my sister and bro in law lost their photography business in Minnesota, my son is an executive chef and he lost most of his staff.. my daughter suffered cutbacks in her work with the developmentally disabled. My ex son in law got fired, but that is because he is an azzhole..

I am retired and there are always rumors of cutting back retirement benefits...

No matter how you cut it, it is stressful.. was going to take advantage of the deep discounts in cars right now.. but hesitant to make big purchases.. wanted to go to Italy in the spring, but hesitant to do that also. Too many stressful variables.

3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Very much so...

On top of the fact that newspapers are shrinking anyway, ... we had 2 layoffs just before the election, 6 more a week later... (including the nicest guy in the newsroom, and most versatile copy editor we had... a guy in his 50s, two kinds just starting college)... what's left behind is a smaller staff... much more work for everyone who survived... and more cuts will come by summer, I'm fairly certain of it... OT is all but extinct, and just last week the announcement came that all annual cost of living raises are frozen indefinitely... it's affected coverage too, with earlier deadlines, less resources, and satellite offices closing down at the far reaches of our circulation area... etc.

let's see... who else? ... a half dozen teachers i know personally will find out this week if their school will be closing after this spring... our town budget has to slash 3 of 7 grade schools ... this was just announced maybe 6 weeks ago, no one had a clue... first it was one, then after christmas we found out it was 3, "maybe 2" ...

40-45 students to a class next year? should be awesome...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  4. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Yeah, dramatically. I work in construction so I'm used to boom and bust cycles; but this is the worst I've personally experienced. Right now, I put an estimate together according to my old rules and then discount it 20%, that's what goes to the customer. I've cut back, I wanted to replace the truck this past fall and intended to invest some money in advertising this year; but that's out as of now. On the plus side, I find myself obsessing over the tiniest imperfections in my work like never before. I seldom got complaints in the past; but I'm certain I'll come out of this recession with an even stronger reputation for high quality work.

Another positive is that these sorts of corrections tend to chase the semi-experienced fly by nighters out of the business. I call them the 'and Tile' contractors. They'll replace your roof and install your tile. Or they'll build you a new deck and install your tile. Everybody who's ever picked up a hammer is convinced that they can install ceramic tile like a pro.

5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +565 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Of all the people I know personally, I only one friend who was laid off. He had a great job selling internationally for Tyradyne. Prolly made about $250K/yr and worked there for 26 years.

It will be interesting to see if my company cuts back on our raises this year. We just had our best year in our history, so if they cut back on our average annual raise of 3.5% it will be bullsh1t. I'll find out mid-Feb...so we'll see.

6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I'm in construction, too. This is the worst I've seen it and guys older than me or retired ones say the same thing. 6 years ago, things were booming. I had three crews going and the game was "get it up and get a check". I literally couldn't find enough guys even willing to labor, much less do finish work. Now the wages are dropping like a rock and, like sdaniels said, the profit margins are going down by the month. No one's pouring foundations this year when 6 years ago, they were pouring concrete in zero degree weather and covering them with heat blankets just to keep up the pace. Now, there's only remodeling and some additions but not many. No one has equity available which was fueling the building boom. That's over. There are developments north and west of here that have some occupied houses, some finished but empty, some unfinished and some just a foundation with no framing at all...just sitting there for the last year.

The only ones doing OK are bars and churches. I haven't seen a rise in crime yet, but that may change soon.

Another thing...I'm heavily involved in fundraising for a research foundation for curing a childhood genetic disorder and the money is not there. There are very important drug trials and research projects that have huge potential (by huge, I mean we are on the verge of some MAJOR breakthroughs) and we can't get the money to start them. Many of the large endowments and funders are holding their money until they can see the bottom of this disaster. Time goes by and I'm concerned that some of these projects are in danger of dying on the table, so to speak. Unfortunately, for many families, this will mean more suffering for their kids and many of them will die without treatments that will not be realized until it's too late for them.

I could really care less about my job or 401K when lives are being lost because of greed and glutony of those who never think of these things. When I see the salaries of these Wall Street pigs I want to vomit. When I hear people complain because they have to sell their summer "home", it's all I can do to not choke the living sh!t out of them.

7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +818 / 27 / -33

Another aspect failed to mention is that I work part time for a Habitat Affiliate, it has been ok for us.. slowdown of state dollars.. but we are building right now.. and got some tremendous deals..

We had the roof plywood put on by a guy doing Court Ordered community service who was a contractor out of work.. laobr cost $0

We then had the roof put on in one day, but a guy who is a roofer and work is slow.. labor cost $900.00.

In many ways it has benefitted us, and our donations so far have not significantly suffered but we have made or org. lean as we do anticipate some effect.

A local Habitat Restore, has been booming with sales increasing of up to 200% each month.. stores closing are contributing their Mdse.. it is a better alternative to get the tax writeoff than selling the stuff for 10 cents on the dollar.

8. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +565 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

So you think people who lose things like summer homes should just take it in stride wistah? Losing things is a relative experience. Why should someone losing things who "was" wealthy disgust you any more than someone who lived by moderate means? People are exactly the same no matter what wealth level they have achieved. poorer people deserve no more sympathy than wealthy people when it comes to losing everything. But it seems like you believe otherwise. That's F'd up.

I care about losing my job and the fact that others may lose even more than me wouldn't make that experience any easier to take.

9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,129 / 3 / -10

Messiah's Party------110 Million---------:singing:

10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +818 / 27 / -33

Think of how many people will get a nice paycheck this week..

11. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

we're talking about survival here PR. Sure I'd love to have a second home or a nice little cabin but when people are forced to go to shelters or live on the streets there is something wrong with society. we could be talking about more dire circumstances in a yr or less.

12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

What?

The thread is about personal perspectives. I gave mine. It's not fu(ked up. It's a perspective....And by the way, losing a summer home is not the same as losing the health or life of a child. You might want to re-consider what you think is fu(ked up.

My larger point is how we're the ones responsible for this economic downturn, buying things we can't afford and not saving money...and losing sight about what is important and what isn't.

13. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +459 / 12 / -14

Decline in gas prices has saved me > $200 per month.

14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,129 / 3 / -10

Messiah's party has gone up, 110 Milliom last Fri now it's 150 Miilion but God won't it be wonderful, the Change We Can Believe In is right around the corner, Release The Doves Sound The Trumpets, Hollywood, The Rap Crappers, and all of MTV are taking the country over.

Todays News
    The price tag for President-elect Barack Obama's inauguration gala is expected to break records, with some estimates reaching as high as $150 million. Despite the bleak economy, however, Democrats who called on President George W. Bush to be frugal four years ago are issuing no such demands now that an inaugural weekend of rock concerts and star-studded parties has begun. (democrat scumsucking double standard bastards)
    Obama hosting pricey party in a dicey economy - Yahoo! News

15. elway7

elway7 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Only got a 3% cost of living raise this year (down from 3.5% last year) and they took away our coffee.

16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +565 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

My bad...I read your comment as if you were saying losses by among the poorer are more tragic. I read it wrong. But you never said anything about losing one's health or a child. I'm just saying that if a person is poor or wealthy and they lose everything, it's the exact same thing.

On the other hand, I like your second paragraph above wistah.

I've been saying since the day I started posting here that recessions are good for the economy because they restore balance and confidence. I left something out...they also restore some common sense and a greater appreciation for the things we have rather than the things we want.

I truly believe the result of this crisis will have a long-lasting affect on our collective psyche. And the affect will be good for us as a nation. Life isn't about what we have, how much we make, how hot our women are, our jobs or even how good looking we may be...that's just BULLSH1T.

No one ever gets deep & sustaining life satisfaction from any of those things. The reason we have people who pursue each of them on a compulsive level is because they're all endless chases that result in emptiness.

Think about all the suffering being a part of our transition as a society. It's sad and it's painful, but it's necessary. If any of us are men & women who pray, now is good time to say a few extra.

17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +565 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

elway, Just out of curiousity, did your company have a good, bad or average year last year?

If it was down or average, I can see a slight reduction like you had. If you had a good year though, it's crap. I'm interested to see if my company tries to use the "people are suffering, count yourself lucky" line of BS.

18. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

what a surprise... two of the most out of touch posters ever to grace a message board chime in with smarmy disregard for the plight of anyone not as affluent... hardly surprised that neither of you would even recognize the downturn anywhere in your periphery.

just a tip, imperialism advocates: for you, this was probably a thread to just stay silent in order to keep from looking like a complete jerk once again...

19. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

btw, Wistah, my church is hurting. of course, i go to a small 100 person or so church that has a monthly budget of $9,000 a month, $4,000 goes to pay the rent. We've been collecting about 1/2 that amount a month as a lot of people are unemployed.

But I see your point about the big mega-ones. I dont care for them myself and I dont care for all the big business, big book store, coffee bar, t-shirt, cash cow revenue generating stuff I see going on in American churches out this way. I think Jesus would be overturning some tables. My church isnt like that thankfully.

20. elway7

elway7 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I thought the question was has the recession affected anyone here personally?

Looks like your the jerk again pressy!