PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Has Ryan Wendell found a home at right guard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I made this announcement in the game thread but I am putting down my responsibilities as #1 Amendola h8ter and leading the Ryan Wendell fan club. I think Wendell may have found a permanent home at RG; his play was impressive he held his blocks in pass protection and opened holes in the run game. RG actually seems like a good fit for his skill set, Wendell is an excellent run blocker, possibly the best run blocker on the team and that is usually the strength of a RG. Not having to snap the football and being aligned more head up with the DL appears to an advantage in pass protection.

What is the general thought, do you trust Wendell to be a long-term solution at RG?

Totally agree. He seems like a good fit there. Hopefully Stork keeps progressing too.

Funny, but before the game Reiss (I think it was Reiss, was only half-listening) said that Wendell would be the surprise difference-maker.

I agree - he was getting downfield and hitting anything that moved. It'd be great to see, because Wendell has taken so much grief (deservedly so). Gotta love an underdog, and we need better line play.

Amendola makes a big first down catch last night, then draws a PI on another big play. Was nice to see, but it's clear that his role will be limited and his days are numbered here. I hope he moves on next year and has a great career.

The emergence of Tim Wright and LaFell explain the Thompkins demotion, and along with Dobson, the size of the three will take a lot of heat off JE and give him more room to maneuver.

God, he looked like a natural there. I had my doubts, but you hit the nail on the head about him holding his blocks. He was plowing guys past the whistle. There was a nastiness to him that was impressive.

Maybe now that he doesn't have the blocking scheme calling responsibilities of a center, it frees him up to play to his strengths more?

Time will tell, but Stork at Center and Wendell at RG may have been the levers clicking into place for the 2014 Patriots.

Agree as stated he looked good last night so maybe he has found his home, let's hope so. Stock made a couple of mistakes but otherwise improved his play. Don't change the personal on the OL it is working.

I wouldn't buy a home there if I was him.

Too soon to tell, the only conclusion is that Stork already brought an impact on the line as a whole, much more cohesion.

Peko and Atkins are a fair tandem at Defensive Tackle. I was pleasantly surprised how the Connolly, Stork and Wendell handled them. I must admit, I've wanted to see the end of Wendell at CE for some time but hell, if he plays like that at RG week in week out, he deserves to be there.

To me, Stork is the player that is going to make this unit. He's some find.

Wendell has an explosive first step which makes him a natural at that position. His weakness has always been holding up, but not getting to the 2nd level and delivering the whams or seals that are needed- no accident that we had a huge run game.

Stork is just a no-brainer, other than a false start and holding he did great. He held up against Rey Maualuga who is no slouch and even drove him backwards on a few occasions.

This is by far the best OL combination and should stay that way for at least the rest of this season.

It's just one game, plenty of good DL coming in the weeks ahead to test this much improved line combo.

I made this announcement in the game thread but I am putting down my responsibilities as #1 Amendola h8ter and leading the Ryan Wendell fan club. I think Wendell may have found a permanent home at RG; his play was impressive he held his blocks in pass protection and opened holes in the run game. RG actually seems like a good fit for his skill set, Wendell is an excellent run blocker, possibly the best run blocker on the team and that is usually the strength of a RG. Not having to snap the football and being aligned more head up with the DL appears to an advantage in pass protection.

What is the general thought, do you trust Wendell to be a long-term solution at RG?
One game is a bit early to consider Wendell the long-term solution at RG. However, IMHO, Wendell is certainly our 2014 solution at RG, and at least a backup for 2015. Given his age, he should be extended (presuming continued good play). We should replace Kline and Devey next year, but Wendell is young enough to be part of the mix for 2-5 years.

Wendell is really a fine run blocker and has enough talent to play RG.

Last edited:
I'm not the biggest Wendell fan to say the least - but perhaps his strengths are best utilized at RG, and his weaknesses are most hidden. It might work out. One game is a small sample size, but he looked good.

As bad as he was in pass pro last year, he can run block, and he can get to the 2nd level.

I'm no big Wendell fan. But I think that we should continue with this line. Right now we have the benefit of having both Connolly and Wendell in at guard, two players who atleast know the system.

I think we definitely should draft a guard in the next draft to replace Wendell. But right now I think he is our best option because he knows what he is doing out there.

I see him as the 2014 solution. But definitely not as a long term solution. He simply isn't that good. But so far he has shown that he is part of the best line we can put out.

Wendell played great that one game and surrounding the rookie with two vets was a great idea. However, not being on the rapid cycling manic depression track where a player is Satan one week and the cure for cancer the next, I'd say with practice we're looking for a bigger guard than Wendell, if one emerges.

Young offensive linemen do get better with practice. really, they do.

You know the saying " the stone that the builders refuse could be the head corner stone". Wendell suck at Center and look like a Pro Bowler ar Right Guard go figure. The rotation last night should be our OL going forward barring injuries. I thought Dan Connolly played a great game at LG both pass protection and running. I am glad the OL Coach have something to work with because Buffalo and the Jets have real good Defensive Fronts. Happy to see Brady stepping up in the pocket with confidence.

He looked good while run blocking. I'm withholding judgement on him in pass protection until I see him against a bigger DT. This week should be a good litmus test for him at RG.

Noted this in the post-game comments:
The Pats OL system has looked better with smaller, more agile guards.
In Devey, Fleming, and Cannon they've been playing taller tackles inside, and suffered.

The Patriots ran a three-center interior with Connolly-Stork-Wendell and the run-blocking was much better. They also played Hoomanawanui 43 snaps and Develin 27. Devey was also in some as a blocking TE. So a big commitment to additional blockers. They averaged 2.1 receivers per play, and there were routes with one receiving route.

We still have problems at tackle and blocking TE, but Guard seem greatly improved. I'm not sure what was going on last night but Hooman got completely owned a couple times as did Gronk and Vollmer wasn't looking like himself either. Solder looked better but still had issues. I'm guessing there are a lot more injuries here than we know about. Hopefully this will get better with time to heal.

i wouldn't trust wendell in a playoff game going up against a top notch defense with all the marbles on the table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back